DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dana

flinn

I think the hiccup with the monologue is we only have one Darkfriend in the books that has that mentality about things.  So people are being confused that a random regular darkfriend also has that approach.   There's nothing wrong with it, the idea that such an outlook is unique to just one character is a stretch.

As for disarming.  Disarming a sword from a trained person is extremely difficult, especially if you're NOT a trained person.  Next someone will say there's no indication she's trained.  To which I'll say... Disarming a sword from an untrained person is an utter nightmare, especially if you're a trained person.  

Lastly the weight.  A sword like that weighs 2-3 pounds.  It's not heavy, it's not awkward, you could absolutely run for a minute or two with it and have no ill effects.  If you want to doubt the weight.  We don't have that prop specifically to go off of, but the last time a real life RJ endorsed Heron blade was available the stats were: 2 pounds, 12 ounces, 42" long.  Not a super hard object to keep control of if you're athletic.

4 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

If she's experienced...and has the endurance and strength to run with a few pounds on her arm...because that's a workout in itself. And she has to be able to skillfully fight after that. Not impossible I suppose...for an Aiel. 

so, now people need "special training" to run for a minute with a kilogram on their hand?

what kind of expectations are those?

When I hold a fencing sword, people don't come near me. I am just over 5ft.

I also interpreted Rand running more as a 'omg I want to not be locked in a room' rather than 'oh no there is a woman with a sharp sword'. Rand has been portrayed so far as someone who needs to be out in the open to think? Right? Could he have a little, just a tiny little bit, of claustrofobia? Mayhaps?

You should see my speed when I hear a marching band four streets away. I can take any sound, except marching bands in The Netherlands. Eurgh, especially if the can't keep time. I can easily run.

5 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

When I hold a fencing sword, people don't come near me. I am just over 5ft.

I also interpreted Rand running more as a 'omg I want to not be locked in a room' rather than 'oh no there is a woman with a sharp sword'. Rand has been portrayed so far as someone who needs to be out in the open to think? Right? Could he have a little, just a tiny little bit, of claustrofobia? Mayhaps?

Yes, flight or fight reflex being a real thing.  ?

Good catch on the enclosed spaces thing, I didn't even think of that. 

That can serve as both foreshadowing and setting the ground work for future character development.  We haven't seen any scenes to Lan training Rand yet.   

5 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

You should see my speed when I hear a marching band four streets away. I can take any sound, except marching bands in The Netherlands. Eurgh, especially if the can't keep time. I can easily run.

OMG yes.

Run away! Run away!

Just now, king of nowhere said:

so, now people need "special training" to run for a minute with a kilogram on their hand?

what kind of expectations are those?

The expectation to stay fit. I jog 6mi with 12lbs...6 on each forearm. It took time and discipline to reach that point. When I forgo my routines for a length of time, it tends to take twice as long to come back. This compliments my mid-level martial arts. 

The upshot is my eyes are seeing something silly.

But this is TV. And I should just skip the entire scene...among others.

3 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Nynaeve has been made action woman, warrior princess and Wonder Woman rolled into one.

Stop it. She killed one Trolloc and tracked Lan. She's been easily manhandled twice: once by a trolloc and once by Lan. 

3 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Dana was a female terminator

Because she ran down a street with a sword? 

Hyperbole actively undermines the point you're trying to make.