DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dana

flinn

1 hour ago, Taishar Hawaii said:

You are not!  It was a high-light of the series for me.  I love how it shows that ANYONE could be a darkfriend!  And the actress really sold it.

Right up until she started monologuing on their purpose.  To save people from the wheel??  I cringed hearing that.

Yeah, I enjoyed her acting until the monologue. But it wasn't really her fault, the writing for that scene wasn't great.

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Sword like that doesn't weigh more than a few pounds. Dana seemed like a fairly strong woman.

She was quite a small woman - there would be no problem taking that sword off her.

Even at close quarters in the room, Rand would have simply overpowered her before she had any.chance to swing it.

53 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

She was quite a small woman - there would be no problem taking that sword off her.

Even at close quarters in the room, Rand would have simply overpowered her before she had any.chance to swing it.

Rand had no experience with swords or close quarter fighting. Most of us would have run as the best alternative in a bad situation. LAN could have disarmed her with his eyes closed 

12 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Rand had no experience with swords or close quarter fighting. Most of us would have run as the best alternative in a bad situation. LAN could have disarmed her with his eyes closed 

He did - he had recently fought a Trolloc in close quarters and did not run in the 'fight or flight' scenario.

Edited by Maximillion

6 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

He did - he had recently fought a Trolloc in close quarters and did not run in the 'fight or flight' scenario.

One fight does not make him experienced. Two very different situations: help my dad in one versus save my skin with no one to protect in the second

5 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

One fight does not make him experienced. Two very different situations: help my dad in one versus save my skin with no one to protect in the second

He tried to smash down a door to run away and was terrified of a small woman, whilst fought for his life against an 8ft Trolloc. IMO, it was not realistic.  He would have simply overpowered her before she ever got hold of the sword and even then would have simply taken it off her.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, Maximillion said:

He tried to smash down a door to run away and was terrified of a small woman, whilst fought for his life against an 8ft Trolloc. IMO, it was not realistic.  He would have simply overpowered her before she ever got hold of the sword and even then would have simply taken it off her.

Delete

Edited by Chwooly

16 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Agreed that it was a badly done scene.  But again very different situations - a rampaging trolloc actively trying to slaughter him and Tam vs. a woman holding a sword steady and with confidence to no immediate bad outcome - "maybe I can think my out of this" or actively try to escape while she's watching me -- terrible writing...

I liked the Dana scene.  They are exploring the implications of the wheel and reincarnation.

Many of the darkfriends other than Ingtar had  pretty wacky reasons for becoming darkfriends.  Dana had relatable reasons for being a darkfriend.  Hopelessness and despair at constantly being put back in the same low status life situations.  Feeling powerless and despair over the ability to change lifes situations.  These people also believe the wheel weaves their life circumstances and they have little control over their lot in life.

Breaking the wheel, becoming a dark friend and supporting a new world....   These are all interesting reasons for the existence of darkfriends.  Hopefully they can keep exploring on that and building on it and will add some good depth to the series.  Especially as they start introducing the Forsaken and then into the War of Power and the breaking.  

The only reason that the sword is really relevant in that scene is because Rand tried and failed to grab it before she did.   After that it is kind of an anti-chekov's gun.  She has to basically keep it for the duration or drop it.  Personally, I don't see it as being all that significant really.

But, it is probably good to point out that her desired outcome for that scene is not to defeat Rand but to just hold him and Mat long enough for a Fade to arrive.  They could just as easily had the Fade standing outside the door when Rand broke it down, had it standing there as Rand and Mat turned the corner, or in some other ways.

I'd have enjoyed seeing Thom fight the Fade there but maybe we'll get that later.

3 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Some of those scenes were quite good, but the Terminator chase down the street was ridiculous. 

In reality the sword would have probably been a bit too heavy for her and Mat and Rand would have waited for her, overpowered her and taken the sword off her.

I agree with you 100% that the chase through the streets looked silly and shouldn't have been included. Or, at least, Dana shouldn't have looked like a trained sword assassin when running. I feel like it sets the expectation that every Darkfriend will also be a trained assassin.

Even if she was clumsy with a sword, I do think she'd pose a significant threat to two untrained and cornered farm boys. Swords are sharp. I don't think it's a given that Mat and Rand should just have overpowered her. But that doesn't excuse my criticism in the first paragraph.

4 hours ago, Maximillion said:

Some of those scenes were quite good, but the Terminator chase down the street was ridiculous. 

In reality the sword would have probably been a bit too heavy for her and Mat and Rand would have waited for her, overpowered her and taken the sword off her.

Terminator chase? She chased them. And then used her superior knowledge of the town’s geography to corner them. At no point was she absurdly fast for an athletic girl in her 20s. I didn’t mind her speech either. I think every dark friend will have different motives. Hers made sense to me. But I can see how some would find it a bit cheesy. 

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Terminator chase? She chased them. And then used her superior knowledge of the town’s geography to corner them. At no point was she absurdly fast for an athletic girl in her 20s. I didn’t mind her speech either. I think every dark friend will have different motives. Hers made sense to me. But I can see how some would find it a bit cheesy. 

I guess her running technique was wrong. She should have flopped her arms in every direction instead of keeping them tight to her body. /s

Just now, MasterAblar said:

Only thing that bothered me is I don't feel like a darfriend would have been so blatant chasing them through town like that. Once Rand escaped, I feel like she would have felt she lost the advantage and tried to catch them unaware again. That's just a personal preference though.

Well, the fade was coming and would not have been happy if the boys got away.

6 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Like, how else do you run with a sword? 

I guess this is why some call it "Terminator chasing". Tight control of arms, determined, dangerous, unrelenting. I don't see the point in searching similarities though.

t1000-terminator.gif.3cfb5219511e5b2d624f9d18cdee6687.gif