DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Teaser Trailer - What City Is This?

CaddySedai

Ok so Obviously that title is clickbait central LMAO. Its a post about Tar Valon.

First off... the thing that dragged me down this rabbit hole. As a "PRO" regarding the trailer - one that most people might not even care about, to me speaks to the quality of the team making the visuals...

The two bridges below - are designed DIFFERENTLY. Much like how a real city would evolve over time and not all bridges would be copy paste you can see their design differs based on age most likely. One being older than the other. 

I love the attention to detail!

image.thumb.png.2dc6b2bbd53b189dd0f083e93e1860c9.png

However I must admit I am a might confused about the orienting and am hoping I'm simply misunderstanding the "big clump of trees"as the Ogier Grove...Cuz if it is - then "Tar ValAMAZon" is backwards. 

The Grove should be on the Osendrelle side of the River Erinin. Thus, in this image one would expect to be facing Southharbor and the nearest brige is to Daghain and the further, Osenrein.

image.thumb.png.f2a803a59383a698bb46d2cc6798f28c.png

But in this other shot using the Tower's trio of domes we can see that the lower "tower" clearly is oriented towards Dragonmount. 

image.png.a86288d916bec5ef7d6a04521fc6e58a.png

If that is so then the bridges featured actually lead to Darein and Jualdhe, the water we see is the Alindrelle side, and that we are facing Northharbor in the prior image...which means the grove is on the wrong side. 

I hope I'm just mistaken and that's like...generic park # 3 and the grove is back and to the right and not yet shown in any imagery.

Edited by CaddySedai

8 minutes ago, flinn said:

Have we seen what is the SE side of the island yet? Looks like on the map there are several small pockets of green, that might be one of the small pockets.

That is my hope. The only thing that gives me pause though is the Grove in maps clearly has its own wall and towers - something none of the other green spaces has. and well..

image.png.2995fa336b86a1723bda1e9c0ef2aa76.png

This green space does appear to be walled in with tower like entryways.

In Amazon's defense this green space is between two bridges and maps of TV always have it south of the last bridge so... maybe it isn't the Grove. Putting the Grove between two bridges and not south of it also would not be a huge deal.

But if you flip the side of the island it is on...that's a bit bigger lol.

Edited by CaddySedai

2 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

Ok so Obviously that title is clickbait central LMAO. Its a post about Tar Valon.

First off... the thing that dragged me down this rabbit hole. As a "PRO" regarding the trailer - one that most people might not even care about, to me speaks to the quality of the team making the visuals...

The two bridges below - are designed DIFFERENTLY. Much like how a real city would evolve over time and not all bridges would be copy paste you can see their design differs based on age most likely. One being older than the other. 

I love the attention to detail!

image.thumb.png.2dc6b2bbd53b189dd0f083e93e1860c9.png

However I must admit I am a might confused about the orienting and am hoping I'm simply misunderstanding the "big clump of trees"as the Ogier Grove...Cuz if it is - then "Tar ValAMAZon" is backwards. 

The Grove should be on the Osendrelle side of the River Erinin. Thus, in this image one would expect to be facing Southharbor and the nearest brige is to Daghain and the further, Osenrein.

image.thumb.png.f2a803a59383a698bb46d2cc6798f28c.png

But in this other shot using the Tower's trio of domes we can see that the lower "tower" clearly is oriented towards Dragonmount. 

image.png.a86288d916bec5ef7d6a04521fc6e58a.png

If that is so then the bridges featured actually lead to Darein and Jualdhe, the water we see is the Alindrelle side, and that we are facing Northharbor in the prior image...which means the grove is on the wrong side. 

I hope I'm just mistaken and that's like...generic park # 3 and the grove is back and to the right and not yet shown in any imagery.

I looked at this from more than a few angles and I think we are definitely looking southward here. Looking closely at the White Tower's immediate surroundings in both images, it matches with the map. On the Grove? i'm not sure.  

no, we are watching the south east side, and everything matches. the positions of the shol arbela and the chairien bridges fit perfectly, with one being parallel to the tower and the other being at a 30° angle. the white tower has 2 wings, one on both side, and they are aligned east-west, like in the map. the ogier groove is a bit more northward than it was supposed to be, it's between the two bridges instead of south of the last one, but it's the only detail slightly out of place.

actually, it's a much better fit on the map than i thought it would be initially

I thought so too but the two wings so to speak are clearly different in height in appearance. The Dragonmount facing one being taller and reaching down into the city. Making it the second largest of the trio. That way for orientation purposes it works. It would be the one facing DM. The smallest of the trio facing away. But when looking at it from the provided angles that in image 2 the position of the trees would be straight ahead and slightly right. That places them on the DM side of the island. 

right, good spotting of the towers.

by the way, the wing facing dragonmount is not taller, it's merely perspective. but it has a different roof.

So it means that in the first splash picture we are watching north.

Then either the ogier groove isn't the ogier groove (and by the way, do I see buildings poking through it?) or they moved it.

Hard to say. Pulling the most HD image into PS, zooming to max. And sharpening the hell out of it to try to define features, they don't look like the roofs of buildings. They almost look like rock features or even treetops reflecting light differently. They feel too "natural" to be built structures. 

Also in sharpening it I see, to see some white birds in the bottom left of the ... lets call it a park for now ?

image.thumb.png.3411eb7a9687962afd3931fe876775a0.png

21 hours ago, Still Trench said:

I keep looking for the building that’s shaped like an Apple or the building shaped like a Breaking Wave. Not to fussed about not finding them but they my favorite touches about Tar Valon, hope they make some kind of appearance in later seasons. 

That's what I'm looking forward to seeing as well!

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the city shot shows that they have at least a decent budget for CGI, which is good. However, it's very different from how it is described in the books, which is disappointing and part of an overall trend of not hewing too closely to the book descriptions of the visuals. It almost seems intentional at this point, and I have to wonder why.