DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Three Scenes that MUST be done RIGHT!!

templar7

We know we are getting a minimum of 2 seasons, so right now the scenes they need to get right are the ones we are going to see in those 2 Seasons, my 3 at this stage are.

Winternight

Shadar Logoth

Falme

We need to get to season 3-4-5 first before worrying to much about DW, Rhuidean and Choden Kal. 
They can only film one season at a time, nail each season and hopefully you draw in the viewership to keep the show going.

Guest Wolfbrother31

? I think the topic really should have been: three scenes you're dying to see. 

The scenes in S1 I hope they get "right" are: 

1) Winternight & some BA Trollocs (of course) 

2) Rand seeing Logain for the first time.

3) Perrin & the wolves vs. WhiteCloaks.

Pretty indictive of how the series is going to go if they don't do these scenes "right"! 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, templar7 said:

More there are to be sure. The following moments though, MUST be done with epic presentation!

1. Dumais Wells...

2. Rhuidian

3. Choden kal

The only one I want to see is him drawing the sword and wielding it’s power for the first time 

For what will probably be Season 1, I think they really have to do (as others said) Winternight. Another scene super early (probably episode 1) that will reveal a lot is the ferry/healing, in other words, what the one power looks like on screen. I get that isn’t a pivotal scene, but it is imperative for how the power works for the rest of the show. Outside of that, for season 1, I think Rand meeting the Trakands & Elaida will be important to see on screen. Too many pivotal people and important relationships. They aren’t necessarily the big events, but if done poorly, the whole show could fail.

3 hours ago, jaimecito said:

For what will probably be Season 1, I think they really have to do (as others said) Winternight. Another scene super early (probably episode 1) that will reveal a lot is the ferry/healing, in other words, what the one power looks like on screen. I get that isn’t a pivotal scene, but it is imperative for how the power works for the rest of the show. Outside of that, for season 1, I think Rand meeting the Trakands & Elaida will be important to see on screen. Too many pivotal people and important relationships. They aren’t necessarily the big events, but if done poorly, the whole show could fail.

"SPOILER"

if you do not want hear a major "probable" Spoiler for S1, then do not read any further.

All evidence points towards no Caemlyn and no Trakands in S1. The problem with Caemlyn and the Trakands is they are only cameos and you would have to build a major city set and hire 6 actors for no more then 10 mins and everything that happens in Caemlyn could be done elsewhere.

Besides, the whole point of that scene is to get Rand and Elayne in proximity for taveren and telling you he's the Dragon Reborn. I have feeling they're going to shy away from as much overtly taveren because plot stuff as they possibly can and hiding the DR means no Eliada viewing, at least for S1. Does no Caemlyn hurt yes, is it anywhere near a deal breaker, no.

17 hours ago, Harldin said:All evidence points towards no Caemlyn and no Trakands in S1. The problem with Caemlyn and the Trakands is they are only cameos and you would have to build a major city set and hire 6 actors for no more then 10 mins and everything that happens in Caemlyn could be done elsewhere.

From a budgeting standpoint that absolutely makes sense. You can avoid casting 5 (6?) pivotal cast members, a few minor characters and save a set. And when you think of story arcs to Camelyn works just as well as through. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, Wolfbrother31 said:

? I think the topic really should have been: three scenes you're dying to see. 

The scenes in S1 I hope they get "right" are: 

1) Winternight & some BA Trollocs (of course) 

2) Rand seeing Logain for the first time.

3) Perrin & the wolves vs. WhiteCloaks.

Pretty indictive of how the series is going to go if they don't do these scenes "right"! 

Well put. You're probably right. I wish the first response was equally respectful. I should have more accurately titled the post. I really like your responses. Especially Perrin and the Whitecloaks.  

The Ways and the Black Wind will be a challenge.  One of tLotR,s greatest failures in translation was "the paths of the dead"

Edited by templar7

On 8/21/2021 at 12:39 AM, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

If we're doing 3 scenes from book 1 that I'm looking forward too (which I love as a topic), here's mine:

1) Rand and Logain

2) Machin Shin

3) Mashadar

I might be a little biased towards the horror aspects, but I'm also excited to see a lot of other moments, these are just the 3 that come to mind in a list :3

Ya for sure!  I wonder how they will present "The Ways"

The Ways and the Black Wind will be a challenge.  One of tLotR,s greatest failures in translation was "the paths of the dead", which ended up looking more like a haunted house ride at Disney Land than the terrifying tunnels in the book.

Edited by templar7

8 hours ago, templar7 said:

Ya for sure! The Dark Wind!! I wonder how they will present "The Ways"

I'm really looking forward to it! I don't know exactly how they'll manage to get across the sense of scale while keeping the oppressive darkness, but that moment when they realize "wait a minute, aren't we directly above the spot we started?" could be a great little scene to build tension. Loial reading the rotting and/or defaced guiding stones is another good moment, and also could be a good visual representation of the Taint. I think the Ways would be a great place for Moiraine and Loial to drop some exposition to the Emond's Field group about the Taint and the Breaking, and how the wonders of the Age of Legends have been either forgotten, corrupted, or both.

With all of that, and thoughts of madness fresh in everyone's mind, the voices from Machin Shin can start up. Maybe Rand hears them first, and the show could play with that for a moment where we're not sure if it's just Rand hearing it, and he's not sure either. And that leads to everyone's mad dash for the exit.

That's a rough idea of how I'd go about it. I think it could be a really memorable sequence if they do it right. I want to feel that suspense build up.

18 minutes ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

I'm really looking forward to it! I don't know exactly how they'll manage to get across the sense of scale while keeping the oppressive darkness, but that moment when they realize "wait a minute, aren't we directly above the spot we started?" could be a great little scene to build tension. Loial reading the rotting and/or defaced guiding stones is another good moment, and also could be a good visual representation of the Taint. I think the Ways would be a great place for Moiraine and Loial to drop some exposition to the Emond's Field group about the Taint and the Breaking, and how the wonders of the Age of Legends have been either forgotten, corrupted, or both.

With all of that, and thoughts of madness fresh in everyone's mind, the voices from Machin Shin can start up. Maybe Rand hears them first, and the show could play with that for a moment where we're not sure if it's just Rand hearing it, and he's not sure either. And that leads to everyone's mad dash for the exit.

That's a rough idea of how I'd go about it. I think it could be a really memorable sequence if they do it right. I want to feel that suspense build up.

The Ways and the Black Wind will be a challenge.  One of Return of the King's greatest failures in translation was "the paths of the dead" looking more like a haunted house ride at Disney Land than the terrifying tunnels in the book.

I think you hit all the points of what it should be. Great answer

I agree the ways will be a major challenge. Everyone sees it differently in their heads. I hope they pull it off. I think it’s a major challenge to fantasy in general. (There is so much in terms of fantasy elements that are described and imagined by all the individual readers.)

LOTR and GOT are both very successful examples, but both had a main focus on things other than magic. WOT will probably have more focus on magic and I hope it comes off well. I agree with what others have said: it seems super important for the world to feel real, the characters to feel real, and be interesting and compelling. 

Edited by dssharp

Yeah for sure, I think the Paths of the Dead were a little too "haunted house" compared to what they could have been and how I pictured them. The Ways are actually very similar, both in their tone and their purpose in the story, and I hadn't really thought about that before. I think the Ways might be a bit easier to portray, because there's no "Aragorn must make the undead recognize his claim" plot point, which added some difficulty to the whole segment from a horror standpoint. The portrayal of the trip through Moria would be closer to the tone I'd want, although that still misses the mark a bit.

Making the fantastical elements feel "right" in the setting is definitely going to be a challenge, but there's a large body of work in the genre for them to build on, and even shows/movies that are lighter on magic like GoT have plenty of lessons to teach in that regard. With the budget they have, I think the show is poised to really knock that out of the park, as long as they actually take those lessons to heart and build on what came before in the genre and medium.

It’s funny, I think the big scenes that people are most excited to see will be the easiest to “get right.” With today’s technology, it shouldn’t be all that hard (relatively speaking) to do the action and set pieces like Shadar Logoth and The Ways.

The much more important stuff to “get right” are the characters and the bad guys!

To that end, the whole first episode “Leavetaking” is extremely important to “get right.” You introduce Moraine, Lan, the EF5, and Fain. You’ve got Tam’s big reveal. You’ve got Moraine’s Manatherin (maybe?). You’ve got Winternight’s first look at Trollocs and a Fade. All this is huge. The characters, the costumes, and the writing - it’s all gotta be good. It can’t be cheesy. It can’t be crap. They’ve got to get this right.

The next thing they’ve got to get right is the channeling. And Egwene’s first lesson. Likely not until the second episode. Could this be the first time we actually see a weave? I think maybe. It’s possible that Winternight won’t be seen “through Moraine’s eyes” at all.

I think one of the biggest differences between LOTR, especially Paths of the Dead and WOT and it's elements is LOTR was PG13 and WOT will most definitely be R/TV-MA which I think will give more tonal freedom. I don't know about GOT, didn't watch, but one thing might be they were more leaning into the sex and blood and dragons to carry the story than anything else.

1 hour ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

Yeah for sure, I think the Paths of the Dead were a little too "haunted house" compared to what they could have been and how I pictured them. The Ways are actually very similar, both in their tone and their purpose in the story, and I hadn't really thought about that before. I think the Ways might be a bit easier to portray, because there's no "Aragorn must make the undead recognize his claim" plot point, which added some difficulty to the whole segment from a horror standpoint. The portrayal of the trip through Moria would be closer to the tone I'd want, although that still misses the mark a bit.

Making the fantastical elements feel "right" in the setting is definitely going to be a challenge, but there's a large body of work in the genre for them to build on, and even shows/movies that are lighter on magic like GoT have plenty of lessons to teach in that regard. With the budget they have, I think the show is poised to really knock that out of the park, as long as they actually take those lessons to heart and build on what came before in the genre and medium.

You make a great point about Aragorn and his mission. As well as Moria being a good tone. I hope they find the creativity to portray a darkness seemed to eat the torchlight and the black wind.

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I think the oppression of the Ways will rely on the actors every bit as much as any special effects.  Hope they can pull it off!!

I agree 100% One without the other will not be enough, especially to life long fans. 

Guest Wolfbrother31
4 hours ago, Beidomon said:

I think maybe. It’s possible that Winternight won’t be seen “through Moraine’s eyes” at all.

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned pretty heavily on Moiraine's perspective throughout the first several episodes...if not, the whole first season, as they've basically hyped it as "Moiraine's story". Cast their main actress as Moiraine. Ect... Which is fine with me. I think from an adaptation standpoint it makes sense to have Moiraine be the main character for even the first two seasons ... But then you have to transition to 

Spoiler

The Dragon/Rand

That's not to say that you aren't right that we may not "see" weaves until later on. 

4 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if they leaned pretty heavily on Moiraine's perspective throughout the first several episodes...if not, the whole first season, as they've basically hyped it as "Moiraine's story". Cast their main actress as Moiraine. Ect... Which is fine with me. I think from an adaptation standpoint it makes sense to have Moiraine be the main character for even the first two seasons ... But then you have to transition to 

Hide contents

The Dragon/Rand

That's not to say that you aren't right that we may not "see" weaves until later on. 

Agreed. Moiraine will carry the introduction to this story through at least season 1. Her past, her knowledge and without the Dragonmount prologue, the first representation of the one power necessitates it.