DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No Super Bowl trailer.

Elder_Haman

15 minutes ago, Thrasymachus said:

I'm saving 'em all up for an utterly devastating "I told you so" in November.

I don't think we'll be getting an actual trailer until June at the very earliest, but more likely August, possibly even as late as September.  But then, I'm going on the assumption that a late November release is the most likely, at least late-ish Fall.  I think between now and then, we'll continue to get clips from their behind-the-scenes documentary, and maybe a few character, prop, costume, set, music or special effects highlights sprinkled in. 

Really, my hope is merely that you don't get frustrated with continually hoping for more and only getting these drips and drabs (or nothing at all, as in this Superbowl case) as these next few months wear on, and that you don't make others frustrated by getting their hopes up with yours.

Lol. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not at all frustrated. Trust me, in my line of work you get used to losing a lot. If others get frustrated based on things I write, that's on them. I try to be very transparent about the evidence I use in coming to my conclusions, but at the end of the day I'm just a dude posting shit on the internet. I've never claimed to have some extra insight or connection to the production.

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, Thrasymachus said:

I don't think we'll be getting an actual trailer until June at the very earliest, but more likely August, possibly even as late as September.

Jordan Con April 23-25th 2021

Comic Con (San Diego) July 22-25 2021 
Dragon Con September 2-6th 2021

These 3 are the most likely dates for a trailer drop IMO.

Put me down for a Comic Con trailer drop, then.  Jordan Con's too early, and both that and Dragon Con aren't high-profile enough to be tied into a major series first-trailer release.  Comic Con's a little early for a late Fall series release, but not outrageously so.  And a Comic Con first-trailer release gives plenty of time for a second trailer to be initially released at Dragon Con before being widely shown on Prime and elsewhere.  Two trailers, one debuting at Comic Con and the other debuting at Dragon Con, would work pretty well with a late October-November release.

There is a limit to how long they'll be able to get away with little prop videos and concept art. I just don't think they are planning to string us along until September. Why bother with the little bread crumbs starting in December if they're still nearly a year away?

Answer me this: the Winespring Inn teaser dropped on September 9, after the first COVID shutdown but before the second. All of the other teasers came after the second shutdown. Those teaser releases have to be intentional and sanctioned at the highest level - so what's the point of them? Why release 2 in December, if you're not anticipating a release for almost a year? 

SD Comic Con is gonna be an extremely crowded affair this year due to all the big franchise releases that were backlogged to Q3-4 of this year. I'll be shocked if both Witcher and LotR don't release their trailers then. In addition, we'll likely get new trailers for Matrix 4 and Dune, as well as the DC and Marvel hype are gonna be the news with James Gunn's Suicide Squid, Spiderman 3, and Eternals that will be out within a few months. I can't see any marketing value in releasing a WoT trailer amid such madness, unless they want to make sure no one hears about the show. 

Dragon Con suffers from similar issues to SD Comic Con, but to a lesser degree as it's a smaller event. 

Jordan Con is a small affair, but given the situation I think this is the most logical time to release the trailer. If they can finish whatever is left of filming in April, the show should be set for a May-June release, and usually 1-2 months is when streaming platforms start the promotion for their new shows. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

16 hours ago, Carebear Sedai said:

SD Comic Con is gonna be an extremely crowded affair this year due to all the big franchise releases that were backlogged to Q3-4 of this year. I'll be shocked if both Witcher and LotR don't release their trailers then. In addition, we'll likely get new trailers for Matrix 4 and Dune, as well as the DC and Marvel hype are gonna be the news with James Gunn's Suicide Squid, Spiderman 3, and Eternals that will be out within a few months. I can't see any marketing value in releasing a WoT trailer amid such madness, unless they want to make sure no one hears about the show. 

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

Amazon has 150 million paid subscribers world wide. They don't need SDCC or any other convention to market their stuff. Just releasing a trailer on their own service that runs ahead of what a viewer happens to be streaming has a wider reach than any typical marketing effort.

They'd be better served by releasing the trailer ahead of SDCC and then releasing some sort of "extended look" or behind the scenes feature for the convention. Personally, I'm guessing they will have a sneak peak ready for JordanCon, with a trailer dropping before that.

• Community Administrator
12 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

They'd be better served by releasing the trailer ahead of SDCC and then releasing some sort of "extended look" or behind the scenes feature for the convention. Personally, I'm guessing they will have a sneak peak ready for JordanCon, with a trailer dropping before that.

They could put out a Teaser for Jordan Con, 3 months later, a trailer out for SDCC, and an extended trailer for DragonCon, with a release in Late September/October.

Or, we could see a Trailer for Jordan Con, with a release just before or just after SDCC.

16 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Amazon has 150 million paid subscribers world wide.

While yes, they can advertise to their 150 Million subscribers world wide "free" of charge, not every amazon user, uses Amazon Prime Video. 
The end goal for Amazon = More Subscribers, and subscriber retention.
The goal for WoT's producers/Investors, is to get as many viewers as possible. Bigger returns.
In turn, more viewers/higher ratings helps the show runner justify a larger operating budget for subsequent seasons.

Skipping big events  to "save money" is pretty foolish, Don't dismiss the power of Hype. (It is a double edge sword)

Of the 3 events listed, Comic Con the largest convention, is the hardest for them to justify their presence at, if only because WoT "isn't" a Comic like anything Marvel.
On the flip side, Amazon's "The Boys" will probably make an appearance. Maybe we'll see a fresh announcement of another WoT Book to comic.
Dragon Con, historically makes sense. They'll also find a ton of people who will be excited for WoT & LoTR there. Also, I almost wouldn't be surprised if we'll see some "fresh" WoT TTRPG/TCG's merchandise either this year or the next.
Jordan Con, makes even more sense for them to make their presence known 'cause Jordan.

Other events like PAX I can't really see them attending. Though Amazon's Game Studios is a thing, but I doubt they'll plug anything WoT there, unless they're going to merchandize the video game sooner then later.

25 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

While yes, they can advertise to their 150 Million subscribers world wide "free" of charge, not every amazon user, uses Amazon Prime Video. 

Per the numbers reported here, the 150 million figure refers to "Prime Video users" 

Otherwise, I agree that its a bad idea to "skip" venues like SDCC and others. You'll want to market to those audiences who are predisposed to be interested in WoT.

But having a presence doesn't mean those need to be the primary vehicles for marketing. They're more add-ons to try to expand reach as opposed to venues that are necessary for making a statement.

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Of the 3 events listed, Comic Con the largest convention, is the hardest for them to justify their presence at, if only because WoT "isn't" a Comic like anything Marvel.
On the flip side, Amazon's "The Boys" will probably make an appearance. Maybe we'll see a fresh announcement of another WoT Book to comic.
Dragon Con, historically makes sense. They'll also find a ton of people who will be excited for WoT & LoTR there. Also, I almost wouldn't be surprised if we'll see some "fresh" WoT TTRPG/TCG's merchandise either this year or the next.

SDCC is general nerd media nowadays, or at least since nerd culture became mainstream. In 2019 Witcher released a teaser trailer there and in 2019/20 His Dark Materials released their season 1/2 trailer. As well shows like Doctor Who and The Expanse making appearances with panels. The issue is that this year is so extremely oversaturated, that I don't see much benefit of leaving the WoT trailer until then. 

Amazon didn't bother releasing trailers for The Boys or The Expanse at SDCC last year. They only had panels for their shows. The trailers were kept to be released a month before each show.

They'll probably break the trend for LotR, and release a teaser trailer anyway as everyone in nerd media is expecting it with the Peter Jackson anniversary coming. But WoT is virtually unknown at the moment. Even a panel for WoT doesn't make sense if there's no trailer released prior to announce the show's very existence.

Edited by Carebear Sedai

1 hour ago, Carebear Sedai said:

SDCC is general nerd media nowadays, or at least since nerd culture became mainstream. In 2019 Witcher released a teaser trailer there and in 2019/20 His Dark Materials released their season 1/2 trailer. As well shows like Doctor Who and The Expanse making appearances with panels. The issue is that this year is so extremely oversaturated, that I don't see much benefit of leaving the WoT trailer until then. 

Amazon didn't bother releasing trailers for The Boys or The Expanse at SDCC last year. They only had panels for their shows. The trailers were kept to be released a month before each show.

They'll probably break the trend for LotR, and release a teaser trailer anyway as everyone in nerd media is expecting it with the Peter Jackson anniversary coming. But WoT is virtually unknown at the moment. Even a panel for WoT doesn't make sense if there's no trailer released prior to announce the show's very existence.

Yeah SDCC is definitely more of a "genre" focused show than a "comic" related. Even then though there were panels about WoT ran by Jordan at SDCC which I attended so a WoT trailer at SDCC makes a lot of sense.

I would say this though. I do not think "mainstream" marketing has started AT ALL for WoT other than a couple press releases now over a year old. Right now, WoTOnPrime is marketing to the hard core WoT fan to just start some inexpensive word of mouth, viral marketing. I think when they go full marketing we will see it everywhere. People forget that Amazon's own market research showed more interest in the WoT show than LOTR so they will market this hard. 

Another thing to consider is that the marketing has been so light to this point that we don't even know the full cast or who the new composer is.