DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand World isn’t Earth

Harldin

• Community Administrator
1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Weird. I still just get an icon.

Happened to me to just now... they may not like people linking to them.
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Randland
That has the picture on there for me... but I get an icon now when I go to expand it".

https://www.tor.com/2015/08/07/why-did-seanchan-invade-randland-from-the-wrong-direction/

I think the Aryth Ocean is just depicted as too wide on that map.

Regarding the nature of time in The Wheel of Time, it seems linear and without beginning. However, the course of events/history in the WoT is cyclical.

Edited by Agitel

• Community Administrator

*Mod Hat*

The Discussion & Debating of Religion & Politics is something we don't allow on Dragonmount, and while I understand that some theology is going to creep into book discussion from time to time; A discussion of "There (is/no) God" crosses the threshold into Religion & Politics

• 2 months later...

"Yes we have the stories Thom tells about Len, Moska, Merk and Anla but all that does is proves that the Humans of RW are descended from Humans that evolved on Earth."

It does not.

RJ wrote in allusions, homages, and Easter eggs to all kinds of things. None of which prove that the first age is our age, or that the people of RW came from Earth in any way. It's a fun theory, and maybe it's correct. Maybe yours is correct, but nothing has been proven. Unless the powers that be say otherwise, and I doubt they will, it's all just conjecture. I'm just curious why everyone thinks this is fact.

Guest TABlademaster

Simple answer is if the term "blademaster" exists on earth. We know it exists in the Wheel of Time Realm, but here on earth can there be such a thing? And the other gray area is whether or not Rand is a "blademaster" or not. If we connect these two points, maybe we can coin the term "Rand world isn't Earth" to "is Earth."

Rand /IS/ a blademaster. /He used Parting the Silk/. /Tam never had a chance to use the sword in battle 'Justice'/. 

Therefore, a blademaster took revenge.

He killed Turak Aladon, also a blademaster.

This means that he /is/ a blademaster.

Edited by TABlademaster

On 3/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, tknightbob said:

"Yes we have the stories Thom tells about Len, Moska, Merk and Anla but all that does is proves that the Humans of RW are descended from Humans that evolved on Earth."

It does not.

RJ wrote in allusions, homages, and Easter eggs to all kinds of things. None of which prove that the first age is our age, or that the people of RW came from Earth in any way. It's a fun theory, and maybe it's correct. Maybe yours is correct, but nothing has been proven. Unless the powers that be say otherwise, and I doubt they will, it's all just conjecture. I'm just curious why everyone thinks this is fact.

The Powers that Be have said otherwise.  Jordan had made it clear, in interviews if not the text, that a conceit of his fictional world of the Wheel of Time is that it takes place in the far distant future/long forgotten past of our world; that our Age is an Age in the Turning of the Wheel.  That's why those "Easter Eggs" and homages exist at all.  This isn't a topic that the author had no opinion on.  But it is a topic where the relevance of the author's opinion is somewhat up for debate. 

Jordan had also made it pretty clear that he understood himself to be writing fiction, and as such, he didn't see the need to go to too much trouble either keeping sensible or logical contradictions out of his story, or helping his readers out too much in suspending their disbelief when they encounter such contradictions.  For example, when asked what would happen should someone balefire themself, he famously (or infamously depending on your pov) advised the questioning fan to go have a love affair with "man, woman or german shepherd." Basically telling her to "get a life" and stop worrying so much about the ins-and-outs of a fictional story.