DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Suspension of Disbelief

Tyzack

I know movies are fictional and normal rules don't apply. However, if a movie does not go out of it's way to explain how it's in-universe rules are different than normal rules, that falls into the suspension of disbelief...but there have to be limits.

I first thought of this while watching the end of Jurassic World when the lose dinosuars (speficically the gaint predator fish one), was swimming along the (I guessed California, but could've been Hawai) coast about to munch on a surfer for lunch.

A few things, firstly, depending on the time of year (not real context clues in the movie), the water off California is quiet cold, so large cold-blooded predators are rare. Secondly, and kinda more importantly, the required caloric intake of an animal that size would require that it eat almost exclusively large whales. It would not swim up to shore and eat surfers.

This comes more into focus with "The Meg" - the story of a shark which terrorizes beach goers world wide; again, it fails the "water temperature" and "caloric intake" tests.

I'm all for crazy animal movies, but at least, you know, make an effort to make them make sense.

One last point:

Sharknados might sound dangerous, but a whalenado would be much, much more deadly. It's physics.

• Community Administrator

To each there own.

I had no problem with Lelia getting spaced in Star Wars, and magic floating back inside, but others had major melt downs over it. (God that fan base is toxic now)

Where as, I had more WTF ARE YOU DOING problem with them 'dropping' bombs from a space ship onto other space ship and that largely went unnoticed as a glaring issue.

Maybe after that point, I stopped trying to suspend my disbelief, and enjoy the movie for what it was, instead of raging over everything wrong?

17 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

To each there own.

I had no problem with Lelia getting spaced in Star Wars, and magic floating back inside, but others had major melt downs over it. (God that fan base is toxic now)

Where as, I had more WTF ARE YOU DOING problem with them 'dropping' bombs from a space ship onto other space ship and that largely went unnoticed as a glaring issue.

Maybe after that point, I stopped trying to suspend my disbelief, and enjoy the movie for what it was, instead of raging over everything wrong?

I had trouble with Leia making her way back to the shop, and didn't understand how that could happened until I looked up the explanation online.  It still seems silly and hard to believe. I never even noticed the issue of dropping bombs in space till you mentioned it, but that is a pretty glaring error. 

Toxic is an understatement. Star Wars fans are the Philadelphia Eagles fans of SFF these days.

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2018 at 6:48 AM, SinisterDeath said:

To each there own.

Yeah I'm 100% with you on this one.

One thing about Star Wars is that to make outer space battles fun for the audience then you have to suspend some reality.

Sound, for example.  Few people would want to watch a silent on-screen dog fight for 10 minutes so Lucas adds in the sound of bombs and lasers even though, y'know, space.

Gravity, for example.  bombs wouldn't just drop like that - a pretty glaring error and one I'm not willing to overlook.  Also how Rey & Friends jumped to hyperspace within the gravity well of a friggin planet.  But whatevs, I'm more willing to forgive that one and they used it in Last Jedi too.

I suppose it's all in what you know, though.  Tyz brings up a good point about caloric intake and now that shit is gonna bother me to no end.