DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moraines husband?

baalzamon

alright, this thread is based on the quote from shadow rising.

"i could wager i know the face of the man i will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband".

now i know that right after this she says that thy should not read to much into her words, but that seems an excuse. my question is who is the man. the only one i can think of is Thom, (because of later books) but even that feels like a stretch.

Guest Barmacral

I'm pretty sure that she wasn't saying that she does know who she'd marry, but rather that they don't know who they'll end up marrying.

I could be wrong, but I think RJ did respond to this one... I may have simply read an answer by somebody on this forum at some point though...

Actually, no. Indications are that she did know who she would marry--and yes, it was Thom. Certainly the letter she sends him later, as well as her oath to him that they would meet again, both show that she knew that they had some sort of future together.

And that statement was made before her visit to the Aelfinn. So either she has some other method of foreknowledge regarding the matter (Min, perhaps?), or homegirl is just really confident in her ability to land a man.

Though she didn't really seem to be showing any romantic interest in him before then.

And that statement was made before her visit to the Aelfinn. So either she has some other method of foreknowledge regarding the matter (Min' date=' perhaps?), or homegirl is just really confident in her ability to land a man.

Though she didn't really seem to be showing any romantic interest in him before then.[/quote']

Moiraine doesn't show anything she doesn't want to. If you read A New Spring, a good chunk of it is her trying to teach herself not to show what she's thinking/feeling. Granted she fails miserably at it through most of the book, but she's had 20+ years to work at it by the time we get to the main series. Suffice it to say there's a whole lot going on in her head that you never see on her face.

BTW I love that scene where she busts into the room and announces that Rand is the stubbornest wool-headed-est man in the world. It's like she's chanelling Nynaeve for a second. :lol:

I think she's all wound up because Rand won't tell her what he's up to, slips when the wise, all-knowing Egwene (sorry don't like her :twisted: ) makes her wise-arse little remark and lets her tongue get away from her in irritation. Then she tries to cover it. She even says "perhaps I just meant none of use knows"...because to say it as fact would be a lie IMO.

I did in fact read New Spring. I didn't much care for it.

I'm not entirely disputing the point you're going for, but that's no benefit to Moiraine to hide having feelings for Thom.

Moiraine: "Excuse me Thom..."

Thom: "Oh, hi Moiraine! I'm not avoiding you or giving advice to your protege or trying to hide my past from you or anything else because of a mistrust of all Aes Sedai, if that's what you're thinking!"

Moiraine: "Shut up and kiss me."

Thom: "Huh?"

Maybe she figured she just didn't need that on her plate at the time. But then, it kind of was another out-of-left-field romantic decision among several in TSR. She had a week and a half with him on the road from Emond's Field until Baerlon, where she was busy with Egwene, then nothing until Tear, where he was doing his level best to avoid her professional scrutiny.

Guest Barmacral
"perhaps I just meant none of use knows"

Ah Ha! Thats what I was thinking of! Not a comment by RJ or another poster... my bad.

I did in fact read New Spring. I didn't much care for it.

I'm not entirely disputing the point you're going for' date=' but that's no benefit to Moiraine to hide having feelings for Thom.

Moiraine: "Excuse me Thom..."

Thom: "Oh, hi Moiraine! I'm not avoiding you or giving advice to your protege or trying to hide my past from you or anything else because of a mistrust of all Aes Sedai, if that's what you're thinking!"

Moiraine: "Shut up and kiss me."

Thom: "Huh?"

Maybe she figured she just didn't need that on her plate at the time. But then, it kind of was another out-of-left-field romantic decision among several in TSR. She had a week and a half with him on the road from Emond's Field until Baerlon, where she was busy with Egwene, then nothing until Tear, where he was doing his level best to avoid her professional scrutiny.[/quote']

That's kind of my point. It comes off as out of left field because Moiraine is very deliberate about not broadcasting what she's feeling, even to herself. She's set her own personal desires aside for the sake of her cause. Then presumably Min tells her she's going to marry...

Thom on the other hand has this grudge against Aes Sedai and would rather not admit to himself or anyone else that he thinks Moiraine is alright. He's had a chance to watch her risk her life to keep Rand alive in spite of the fact he can channel, and she's made no attempt to cart him off to be gentled. Now she's offering to give him the names of the Red sisters who mistreated Owen.

Neither showed anything to the other because they were both trying to deny it to themselves. Now they've kind of been forced to face it and they're finding in spite of themselves that they don't think it's such a bad thing.

If the initial quote is accurate (I haven't had time to verify), there is actually no evidence in it that she knows who her husband is. It merely says she could wager that she knew, not that it would be a good bet, or that she would win. She may have been using Aes Sedai double speak to seem like she was saying something she wasn't all to get the girls to shut up and leave Lan alone.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will), but didn't she tell the girls that AFTER she'd been through the "Wise-one" Ter'angeal and seen all the possibilities of her life?

I'm at work and can't check myself, but thinking back I thought she made that statement after she's "seen" that her and Thom would get married someday.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will)' date=' but didn't she tell the girls that AFTER she'd been through the "Wise-one" Ter'angeal and seen all the possibilities of her life?[/quote']

No.

She made that statement during the Wunderfrauleins' weak interrogation in Tear, not only before heading out to Rhuidean to get sunburned in places she didn't know she could get sunburned, but before even making her trip through 'Finn Door Number One.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will)' date=' but didn't she tell the girls that AFTER she'd been through the "Wise-one" Ter'angeal and seen all the possibilities of her life?

I'm at work and can't check myself, but thinking back I thought she made that statement after she's "seen" that her and Thom would get married someday.[/quote']

My opinion, and I think others will agree, is that Min had a viewing of some sort linking her to Thom. When Moiraine is asking Thom to take the girls to Tanchico she promises to tell him the names of the Red sisters who gentled his nephew without first bringing him to the Tower according to Aes Sedai law the next time she sees him. "And I will see you again", she says.

Interesting points on and all. Lets see what you guys think on my point of view. Using the information we know of Moiraine lets see whats going on. First, we know that she is good and is trying to stop the DO no matter what. Second, she doesnt want to lose any threads tied to the dragon. Third, She is Aes Sedai. Now for some of my opinion. People keep refering to the letter and how it ties them together. Thom is Rand's friend and is tied to the dragon reborn. Since moiraine thinks that he is tied to the dragon as we learn in tEotW then obviously she is going to want to keep him alive. BEsides that being of royal bloodline and Thom being a court bard they could very well have known eachother before. Now as far as i can remember they have never strait up said anything about them being romantically involved anywhere. Please correct me if im wrong on anything. At the point in TSR we are talking about i beleive it to be an emotional slip as we all see Aes Sedai can make later on. She is frusterated and anoyed and says something stupid. She never says she does know and i dont remember any proof showing that letter correlates to that statement. So i think it was an emotional slip she doesnt really know whos she is going to get married, if she gets married.

Thom and Moiraine had never met prior to the incident in Emond's Field.

And yes, i believe the reason that Moiraine included Thom when she met him in Emond's Field is a result of a vision Min had, as Beckon stated.

Methinks if it was that simple she wouldn't have felt the need to backpeddle and say "perhaps I didn't mean what I just blurted out without thinking..." If I remember correctly, whichever of the girls (I think it's Egwene) is having the PoV in that scene doesn't quite believe her either. That's just an impression though.

The letter she leaves with Rand is addressed to "My dearest Thom", begins "There are many words I would like to write to you, words from my heart..." and ends "May the Light illumine you and give you joy, my dearest Thom, whether or not we ever see one another again". That's straight up enough for me. :wink:

Thirdly Moiraine's a Cairhienin noble and Thom was court bard in Caemlyn. She is actually related to Morgase by marriage, but she would have been in the tower, recently raised Accepted or about to be, by the time Morgase takes the throne. That doesn't leave any opportunity for them to have met.

Archived