DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Similarities between Dune and WOT

Hirez

Certainly the Aiel has Fremen written all over them, but I don't see much of Rand in Paul Atreides, aside from the fact that one is the leader of the Fremen and the other is the leader of the Aiel.

Atreides is a brooding, depressed man trapped by his own visions. While Rand does brood, he is not trapped. He is decisive and has a clear vision. Re-reading the series, you can see him planning to cleanse Saidin from the Path of Daggers.

Atreides sends out his Fremen to conquer for the sake of conquest, with the hidden goal of forcing humanity to scatter far and wide across the universe. Rand leads not only the Aiel, but an alliance of nations to unite the land against a greater threat. Atreides is driven by vengeance against the Emperor that destroyed his family. Rand is driven by honor and duty.

Good point. I was referencing the broader framework versus personality. For example, two relatively superpowered beings designed to fufill destiny and reshape empires.  Desert warrior race that had a superior fighting culture.  

I can the influence Herbert may have had on Jordan.

26 minutes ago, Hirez said:

Good point. I was referencing the broader framework versus personality. For example, two relatively superpowered beings designed to fufill destiny and reshape empires.  Desert warrior race that had a superior fighting culture.  

I can the influence Herbert may have had on Jordan.

17 minutes ago, Illian Tear said:

I say Rand is closer to the God-emperor than Paul because they are both super powerful and practicality unkillable.

I think such comparisons are a bit too superficial. Superpowered conquerors abound in fantasy epics.

There are also several more similarities between WOT and Dune like the fact that both Rand and Paul have powers that previously were only wielded by women and both characters have similar relationships to the organizations of women that had those powers. Both the Bene Gesserit and the Aes Sedi also have a reputation of being secretive and manipulative and are known derogatorily as witches. Rand and Paul are also different messianic figures to different people. Paul is the Kwisatz Haderach to most of the universe and the Mahdi to the Fremen. Rand is the Dragon Reborn to the people of the Westlands, the Car'a'cairn to the Aiel and the Coramoor to the Sea Folk.

Edited by Captainwilhelm96