DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Deadliest Mass shooting since Connecticut

Ryrin

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-bernardino-shooting-what-inland-regional-center-n473016

This is one of the sister offices to my own.  I work in a regional center several hours away.  Our office was let out early because of this.  Three men came in to that office wearing military attire with assault rifles and multiple magazines.  14 dead so far and 14 wounded.

I'm in shock.  Our office does have public access but the majority of the office cannot be reached without a FOB.

The suspects are still at large.

Prayers and positive thoughts to all affected. 

The posturing that has come out lately gives me chills. The open carry movement is too eager to pubicly brandish firearms in the wake of a tragedy. Demonstrating that you are armed is an act of force - it is a statement which declares your willingness to embrace force and an ability to enact it. It is also a statement of power - I have dominance and your fear of me now controls your decision making process. It is an act of arrogance - tragedy is beneath me.

And that's the last thing a gun owner should be saying. If I have an object of power, I should treat it with humility. I should inherently recognize the inability to retreat from the moment of action - I can't stop the bullet once it leaves the chamber. It's the same thing with any of my fighting. I don't leave practice thinking about all the cool ways I can hurt someone. I leave practice hoping that I have the ability to end violence before it begins. I don't need a fist to end violence; I need awareness. Violence is always the last resort. Power demands humility.

I'm not seeing a lot of that right now. The jerks and bullies have the stage. I'm not ok with that.

I want to say one more thing about it.  When the violence is at that high level where lives are being taken, you use whatever force you have to extinguish it.

This situation is different but had my husband been in that Colorado theater, he could have taken that guy out with one head shot.

You know how hard it is to get a head shot? In the dark? In a panic?

My coworker's daughter shot her husband to death last New Years because they were drunk and bickering and they had loaded weapons in the house. Air Force vets. In their 20s. She got a couple head shots, but mostly torso. He had a kid who was 3 at the time. So many lives destroyed because of one moment of drunken stupid anger and a gun.

Most people who are killed by guns are killed by themselves or a family member. The first thing a burglar will steal from a home with guns is the guns.

There are precious few hero shots.

When everyone is walking around armed we'll be in even more danger than we are now.

I want to say one more thing about it. When the violence is at that high level where lives are being taken, you use whatever force you have to extinguish it.

This situation is different but had my husband been in that Colorado theater, he could have taken that guy out with one head shot.

No, I agree. There are scenarios where force is demanded. A lot of violence can be diffused by backing away or apologizing but San Bernadino was not one of those scenarios.

Life is precious. The capable should protect the living, always.

Totally agree that if violence can be prevented non lethally it should.  I guess what I was trying to say is the response will be determined by the degree of the threat.

We've seen incidents where the use of force was way out of proportion to the threat.

Sadly, there was not much that could be done at Inland Empire as the perpetrators had a plan/mission, disregarded their own lives, and the lives of others.

our workplace violence prevention training today made that very clear. They reminded us that if we can't escape, we should remember that we've been issued 4 oz of water, a dust mask, a whistle, and a glow stick. I told my husband not to try to call me in an active shooter situation because duck and cover was about all I could do and the phone ringing would out me.

I hate this century.

Archived