DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Relatively new, rereading the series

OlwenaSedai

Hello! I first read the series when I was around 12, but all the books weren't out yet. The last I read, as far as I remember, was Winter's Heart - which is where I'm at now with my re-read. I have never actually finished the series, so I am a bit excited about it. Not finding the middle books boring either, as a lot of other people do - the Bowl of winds book, for example, is considered boring but I breezed through it and wanted more! So much happened in that one, not seeing the boring part in it.

Anyways - I am new here, and hoping to become more active. I don't really know anyone else who've read the series whom I can discuss stuff with, so this site is perfect (although I do try to avoid like 70% of the topics here in fear of being spoiled - which I've already been, but by the Companion, about the Last Battle. I am hopeless that way, wanting to learn everything about the universe also makes you spoil yourself.) I have also been spoiled on the forums, for example about a character who dies :'( Did not want to know that.

I am female, 25 years old and from Norway. The series aren't really that huge here, I do suspect they have quite a following, but a lot of people haven't heard of the series at all. It's not "mainstream fantasy" like LotR and the Harry Potter books. I guess it takes some patience to plow through it all. 

I already see myself differing from what seems to be the prevalent view of the fanbase on several issues - such as Mat, who for some unfathomable reason is a fan favourite (maybe it's a gender thing? I see Mat as incredibly condescending, archaic and patriarchial - were it up to him, all the women would be locked up somewhere for their own safety and not allowed to go anywhere without supervision. He is like all my nightmare visions of overprotective brothers/fathers in Medieval times. Plus, he never listens to anyone. But I suspect he holds some attraction to some guys who see him more as an ideal, I idenfity with the women more than him and therefore he annoys me to no end). Therefore I am looking forward to discussing with people here, getting a new perspective on things and possibly seeing new sides of the various characters.

- Jenny

Thanks!

I am really enjoying the series, and the vantage point is very different now - at 12-13 I saw the main characters as adults, now most of them are younger than me (with the exception of Nynaneve whom I suppose is around my age). Which also changes the way I interpret the characters and their actions :) 

One of the reasons I would suspect you do not find the middle books boring is because there is no wait. Not only do you not have to wait for the current book, but then you do not have to wait on the next book. That really changes things. When you wait a few years to read the next book, then that book has very few chapters of your favorite(s) character(s), then you have to wait another 3 years before the next one, you can easily get frustrated. Either way, people can say whatever they want, but I do believe Jordan was one of the best writers of all time. The Shadows Rising was one of the greatest books ever written. As far as Mat goes, I love his upcoming relationship. As far as the "overprotective", that I can understand but you should also look at it in another perspective as well. For hundreds (if not thousands) men (and boys) have been taught by society that protecting women is the right thing to do without question. It has only been the past handful of years where that has become so looked down upon. 

I've taught my sons that it is their "job" to protect women and children when necessary. Biology makes them larger and stronger.

I'm happy you enjoyed The Shadow Rising. :) I did as well.

I've taught my sons that it is their "job" to protect women and children when necessary. Biology makes them larger and stronger.

I'm happy you enjoyed The Shadow Rising. :) I did as well.

Well, not in a Randland setting. Those women can channel. Mat has protection against that, but few people do. Nynaeve handled a Forsaken in her FIRST real encounter with her. That makes it completely silly that he acts as though they are completely helpless.

Also, it is not a universal rule. A top-trained man is stronger than anyone else. But a top-trained woman can be much stronger than many untrained men. I am pretty sure Rhonda Rousey could beat most of (if not all, which is very likely) the guys I know. The same probably goes for your sons, unless they are very well-trained. Skill can also be more important than strength (which the series also point out several times, in terms of women who are very skilled channelers being a potential danger even to very strong male channelers).  

And it is also the level to which he takes that protection which irks me. But I do realize it reflects a prevalent attitude in society, especially in past times (which the society of Randland in many ways seem to be, they live in a pre-industrial society at the time of the series). 

It's lovely to have another Norwegian here! One of my favourite things about this site is meeting fellow WoT lovers from all around the world :)

I happen to agree with you about Mat, though he is also sort of cute ... lol

Archived