DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Books Similar To Wheel of Time

I looked, and couldn't find a thread about this topic. Though I'm sure there's one here somewhere. 

Came across a new author who was influenced/inspired by Robert Jordan so I gave it a try.

The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington

51oul60C3fL.jpg

I think the author tried to write a prologue with the emotional hook that the prologue in Eye of the World had, but it fell pretty flat for me, so don't judge the book by that one chapter. This book was just released about a month ago, so you don't have to worry about running into spoilers. I'm several chapters in and am enjoying it. Here's the blurb:

"Love The Wheel of Time? This is about to become your new favorite series." - B&N

It has been twenty years since the god-like Augurs were overthrown and killed. Now, those who once served them - the Gifted - are spared only because they have accepted the rebellion's Four Tenets, vastly limiting their powers.

As a Gifted, Davian suffers the consequences of a war lost before he was even born. He and others like him are despised. But when Davian discovers he wields the forbidden power of the Augurs, he sets into motion a chain of events that will change everything.

To the west, a young man whose fate is intertwined with Davian's wakes up in the forest, covered in blood and with no memory of who he is... 

And in the far north, an ancient enemy long thought defeated begins to stir.

"books similar to Wheel of Time" and "a new author who was influenced/inspired by Robert Jordan" are totally different things.

authors who were influenced/inspired by RJ:

GRRM, R. Hobb, J. V. Jones, Brent Weeks, Peter V. Brett, Jason Denzel :biggrin: , James Islington, Claire Luana, Jacob Stanley, A. D. MacFarlane, Dargon Age, Goodkind etc.

After selling 80+ million books, I think, we can say that he had/has a lot of influence. Of course many writers mention rather GRRM than RJ these days, because he's very popular now (where were these people between 1996-2000 or before the tv series?)

I cannot say anything about new (epic) fantasy books, because I usually give up after page 1-5, so I have no time to discover the similarities.

Btw, good topic.

I'd say it has a "Wheel of Time" feel to it, but not enough that the book feels like it is a carbon copy. I'd recommend it.

I gave up on this book half way through.Easy enough to read but just to simplistic and shallow in terms of character depth, believability and world building. IMO it in no way bears any resemblance to The Wheel of Time or Jordan's level of skill at writing. I'd love to hear what this "feel" is  as I couldn't even identify one thing in the book that even looked like the author was inspired by Jordan. 

Avoid like the plague IMO :huh:

Edited by ChrisW

I'd say it has a "Wheel of Time" feel to it, but not enough that the book feels like it is a carbon copy. I'd recommend it.

I gave up on this book half way through.Easy enough to read but just to simplistic and shallow in terms of character depth, believability and world building. IMO it in no way bears any resemblance to The Wheel of Time or Jordan's level of skill at writing. I'd love to hear what this "feel" is  as I couldn't even identify one thing in the book that even looked like the author was inspired by Jordan. 

Avoid like the plague IMO :huh:

Eh, to each their own. I say it's a book not salmonella. Give it a try for yourself. I'm still enjoying the story, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. 

If you go into this book or any other book with the exception that it's Robert Jordan writing as James Islington then you're going to be disappointed. 

@szilard,

how good is sword of shadows series?

It's better than her former series (The Book of Words), but (as I recall) the world is way too small. Maybe you prefer tight/concentrated world/novels, then I recommend the series to you (borrow the books from a friend/library, do not buy them on my words!), but for me epic fantasy is about sprawling arcs, characters, adventures... Unfortunately, WoT spoiled me decades ago :sad: 

I'd love to hear what this "feel" is  as I couldn't even identify one thing in the book that even looked like the author was inspired by Jordan.

I just read the preview on Amazon (because of you), and I still maintain my opinion.The writing style, the whole feeling, the setting is very Jordan-like; I basically see Rand in a different dimension in these books.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am on chapter 9 of The Shadow of What Was Lost...

I am indeed enjoying the story and find more than a few nods to RJ and WoT.  Is it on the level of WoT? Well to answer that I would have to say in parts or at least in comparison to some WoT books (Crossroads of Twilight comes to mind) it can hold up. Overall? No idea I am only on chapter 9.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading L.E. Modesitt's Imager Portfolio series lately and a lot of things have been jumping out at me more and more that remind me of WOT and RJ.  Things too close to just be coincidence I feel, but it's not like WOT but it is interesting that the guy has two magic systems in play in his Recluse books and Imager.  Of course there are a few similarities.  The guy loves personal shields.