DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A First Time Reader's Impression of The Wheel of Time

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, each reader's reason/reasons could be different.  and I recall some readers that seemed to dislike him after his first POV; if I recall correctly, those were around books 10 & 11.

from what I recall of the first books, he seemed to change quite a bit before his first POV; so his thoughts could have been different in his earlier scenes.

Books 10&11?

Mat's first PoV is chapter 19 of The Dragon Reborn when he wakes up.

Up till that point we had only seen Mat though someone else's eyes and, except for a handful of chapters in the beginning, a tainted Matt at that.

was referring to the things the readers disliked about Mat; not Mat's first POV.

shall edit the post.

Aragem,

what are your reading habits? (where, when, how, one book or multiple books at the same time, can you share your feelings/thoughts with anyone etc)

Is WOT worth your time?

If any signs of burning out start to present themselves, then take a break (3-5 days).

Aragem,

what are your reading habits? (where, when, how, one book or multiple books at the same time, can you share your feelings/thoughts with anyone etc)

Is WOT worth your time?

If any signs of burning out start to present themselves, then take a break (3-5 days).

I'm currently reading four books. 

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I fell in love with the Starz television show and then the books.  I'm reading them in chronological order and currently on the Lord John Grey spinoff series.  

Harry Potter by JK Rowling.  It's been about ten years since I read the books and a friend and I are planning on going to Orlando to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sometime next year.  Currently on book 6.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  A friend recommended it to me and I'm still on the first book.

And WOT.  

I tend to do most of my reading at work as a tend to get some down time and I read the books from my Kindle app on my phone.  I tend to switch to a different book each day and switch after I get through ten percent through each book.  That keeps me from getting burned out on them and lets me compare the writing techniques of the authors.

So far WOT has definitely been worth my time!  Been loving it.    

Aragem,

Is WOT worth your time?

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I fell in love with the Starz television show and then the books.  I'm reading them in chronological order and currently on the Lord John Grey spinoff series.  

Harry Potter by JK Rowling.  It's been about ten years since I read the books and a friend and I are planning on going to Orlando to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sometime next year.  Currently on book 6.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  A friend recommended it to me and I'm still on the first book.

And WOT.  

I tend to do most of my reading at work as a tend to get some down time and I read the books from my Kindle app on my phone.  I tend to switch to a different book each day and switch after I get through ten percent through each book.  That keeps me from getting burned out on them and lets me compare the writing techniques of the authors.

Rothfuss is on my list with GRRM. They made a lot of money selling the beginning of a story, then decided writing isn't really what they want to do, so took our money and is using it to live the good life while the story remains unfinished. I will never contribute another penny to either writer. When they completely finish their series, I will go to a used bookstore and buy the books used so they do not profit from it. In fact, I may not ever even finish GRRM's books since HBO is going to finish them for him.

Edited by flinn

Outlander series by Diana[/size] Gabaldon.  I fell in love with the Starz television show and then the books.  I'm reading them in chronological order and currently on the Lord John Grey spinoff series.  

And WOT.  

Thanks! It's always good to hear stories like yours. (I usually get answers like these: "sorry, too long", "you didn't say that series has a million pages!", "I cannot read it anymore: boring as hell" etc.)

However, if you don't mind, I'd recommend a few (very short) books that are great to read:

Skylark by Kosztolanyi

Ethan Frome by Wharton

One Two Three by Gamow

On the Shortness of Life by Seneca (http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/seneca_younger/brev_e.html)

Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke

The Girl with the Golden Eyes by Balzac

+ plays by Terence etc.

Outlander series by Diana[/size] Gabaldon.  I fell in love with the Starz television show and then the books.  I'm reading them in chronological order and currently on the Lord John Grey spinoff series.  

And WOT.  

Thanks! It's always good to hear stories like yours. (I usually get answers like these: "sorry, too long", "you didn't say that series has a million pages!", "I cannot read it anymore: boring as hell" etc.)

However, if you don't mind, I'd recommend a few (very short) books that are great to read:

Skylark by Kosztolanyi

Ethan Frome by Wharton

One Two Three by Gamow

On the Shortness of Life by Seneca (http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/seneca_younger/brev_e.html)

Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke

The Girl with the Golden Eyes by Balzac

+ plays by Terence etc.

Right now I got a book list of upcoming books.

Acorna the Unicorn Girl series by Anne McCaffrey and Margaret Ball.

Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi

The Magicians and Mrs. Quint trilogy by  Mark Anthony

When I first one series, I'll replace it with one from the list.  

Currently at 29% of the Dragon Reborn\

In which . . .

The Trio of Dreamer, Braid, and Princess dodge the Wicked Witch in Red

Matt finally gets healed . . . or does he?  *dun dun duuun!*

Right at the opening of chapter 19, the first POV of Mat.  Maybe my opinion of him will change and I can write a better review of him by the end of the book.  He's been so much of a prat in the previous books that he needs to do some growing up.  Maybe being poisoned by evil dagger has done that.  

Currently at 29% of the Dragon Reborn\

In which . . .

The Trio of Dreamer, Braid, and Princess dodge the Wicked Witch in Red

Matt finally gets healed . . . or does he?  *dun dun duuun!*

Right at the opening of chapter 19, the first POV of Mat.  Maybe my opinion of him will change and I can write a better review of him by the end of the book.  He's been so much of a prat in the previous books that he needs to do some growing up.  Maybe being poisoned by evil dagger has done that.  

Poor Nyn! :laugh:

On Mat:  maybe, maybe not. Don't let others' opinions wash over your own judgement.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently at 34% of the Dragon Reborn

In which . . .

Mat wakes up nude and gets some powerful visitors . . .

Verin gives Egwene the Ring of Power - Dreams . . .

Egwene is about to face her three fears . . .

The jury is still out on Mat.  It seems that ever since he got his hands on the dagger his memory is foggy.  Maybe he'll remember what a little git he was.  But he has bigger worries as Selene seems to have him in her sights.  I  just hope Mat doesn't do anything stupid.

This World of Dreams.  Is that where Rand, Perrin, and Mat keep seeing so often in the first book?  Is that all Ba'al keeps intimidating them in their dreams?  Whoa, I hope Egwene's ready for whatever she's about to step into.

What I am really excited about is Egwene undertaking her trial to becoming Accepted.  Looking forward to seeing what she will go through.  

Aragem,

are you getting spoiled by WOT? How does it compare to other (epic) fantasy books?

Hmmm, it's hard to say.  It reminds me of a Song of Fire and Ice where you have multiple characters in different locations across the land, but low in violence and sex.  I do like how women seem to have a leading role in Randland's societies.  

Hmmm, it's hard to say.  It reminds me of a Song of Fire and Ice where you have multiple characters in different locations across the land, but low in violence and sex.  I do like how women seem to have a leading role in Randland's societies.  

Because of the 'lack of' onscreen (gratuitous) violence, it seems that many readers do not notice/care about rapings, or the thing that people get eaten - often - alive, or the major traumas etc. 

Regarding GRRM, I don't know that he's still a virgin, or he just uses the 'sex sells' methods.

where are you in Song of Ice & Fire?  I read through book 4.

Wheel of Time has had violence up to where you are; mostly towards fictional creatures and mostly in battle.

I got as far as halfway through the second book before I got burned out, but I have watched the HBO show.  I do know that the television follows the outline of the books, but goes its own way in regards to details.  The books are on my reading list btw.  

Currently at 39% of the Dragon Reborn

In which . . . 

Egwene goes through three trials of being a wife and mother,  Being in the ruins of Caemlyn with a trapped Rand.  And being the Amrylin with a bunch of traitors.

And Matt wakes up and probes the way out of Tar Valon.

I pretty much predicted that Egwene was going to have a dream (if it was?) about being Rand's wife.  Pretty much all three of her experiences surround Rand and each time she had failed to help him.  If these experiences are a reflection of her heart, could they be a representation of her having a hard time letting Rand go?  Or are they actually reflect events that could or may possibly happen?  I can understand why Egwene is still hung up on Rand, they had practically been engaged since kids and it was pretty much understood by whole village they were going to be married.  Yet, overnight (the night they left Two Rivers with Moiraine) it's been thrown out the window.  

Whereas the Great Hunt was character development for Rand, I am seeing the Dragon Reborn as character development for others such as Egwene and gives the reader a closer look at the going ons inside the White Tower.  

Egwene being Rand's wife was actually an experience inside that terangreal; not a dream/Dream.  that terangreal pretty much shows what the person is afraid of; both scenes of this terangreal tell that.  other scene was in Great Hunt; Nynaeve.

Egwene's experiences inside the terangreal could have any number of interpretations; she having a hard time letting Rand go could be accurate.

about they happening; there is some foreshadowing in them.

I pretty much predicted that Egwene was going to have a dream (if it was?) about being Rand's wife.  Pretty much all three of her experiences surround Rand and each time she had failed to help him.  If these experiences are a reflection of her heart, could they be a representation of her having a hard time letting Rand go?  Or are they actually reflect events that could or may possibly happen?  I can understand why Egwene is still hung up on Rand, they had practically been engaged since kids and it was pretty much understood by whole village they were going to be married.  Yet, overnight (the night they left Two Rivers with Moiraine) it's been thrown out the window. 

Even though there wasn't any love between them, and there wasn't any real interaction between them at all (that's true for the relationship of Rand and Perrin), when you are constantly told that this person will be your consort, it is hard to see them in a different light. And Eg do not see only Rand anymore, she mostly sees the Dragon Reborn. And I will not bring it up her other desires. As for Rand: ditto.

Their relationship will be interesting, to put it mildly.

I got as far as halfway through the second book before I got burned out, but I have watched the HBO show.

What happened?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently at 44% of The Dragon Reborn

In which  . . .

Mat kicks serious ass,

The Trio tries to connect the dots and come up with nothing, 

Egwene runs into a familiar beautiful woman.

Egwene go into a dream, cue Inception theme music Time.

Firstly, Mat has won major brownie points with me for putting Galad and Gawyn in their place.  I don't hate those two, but they kinda rubbed me wrong when they seemingly ambushed the girls for answers.  I think I already went over this before, but I'll bring it up.  Firstly, they don't have to be in the know of what happened and Galad seems to be so full of himself that its annoying.  So it was very satisfying to see Mat put them both down magnificently and publicly too.  

And secondly, if Mat had been so excellent with his quarterstaff skills, why the hell haven't we seen this before?  I'm searching my memory, but other than a bow, I haven't seen him do much success except be a little ass and getting sicker.  Jesus!  He could have Rambo up to Fain's group and took the Horn back himself.  Where the hell were these skills when Rand and him was on the road together?  

The Trio are having trouble making connections with the Black Ajah, other than there is 13, which is a scary number for Egwene because it means that it only takes 13 Aes Sedai to force one to serve the Dark One against her will.  Frightening,  And she runs into a familiar beautiful face.  It's Lanfear/Selene, or whatever she's calling herself now.  I think she's also calling herself Else.  LOL.  I don't think Lanfear is on her side and whatever that is, it's luring men to sacrifice good for greatness, etc.  

I just finished the scene where Egwene runs into Perrin's dreamself chaining himself to a pillar and I'm going to hop on the soap box for a second and say how frustrated this scene made me.

Firstly, the world is at stake!  The Dark One is breaking loose and the world will likely end and so everyone is going to die or wish they were dead, so it doesn't matter if you are human or not!  The odds are against the heroes so you need every advantage you can get to help you stop the Dark One from breaking free.  It's frustrating when one of the heroes has an ability, an ability that could be beneficial to the group or help in tight situations, but don't do it because they are afraid of the ability, afraid that something bad will happen, etc.  It doesn't matter if the whole group gets taken out if doing nothing saves you from whatever.   

Glad to see that you got to see what is the first of Mat awesomeness. If you like how he was in that chapter you'll really start enjoying reading his PoVs.

Second... while I agree that Perrin being afraid of his ability it's also a common fantasy trope while also likely being quite true. One of the things that we always forget is that we, as the reader, know that the characters are part of an epic story that involves the fate of their world. They on the other hand, do not. Think to yourself how you would be if a priest came knocking on your door after searching for you their entire adult lives and tried to get you to believe that your best friend was Jesus reincarnated, and then told you that he couldn't succeed in defeating Satan without your help using an ability that may destroy your mind.

I'm using Christianity here as the basis, but the point is that if you picked any religion and had one of the members of their order come to you claiming a fate of the world scenario that you would be skeptical to say the least and even in denial to a degree even if some of it started to come true. Take this another step further and add in the fact that this order has been blamed for catastrophe's, is very secretive, and is known to manipulate. If it were all true, it would likely take you a fair amount of time to buy in.

about Mat's quarterstaff, one reason we have not seen those skills before could be that he has not had access to one before.

to dexterryu::  some of the things in your analogy seem to be inaccurate.  priest; Jesus needing help.

from my understanding, Christianity's clergy are elders/deacons/pastors; not priests.

and from my understanding, Jesus would not need anyone's help.

not sure if any real life religion would tell that kind of info regardless of it being true or not.  Christianity; the Bible tells different.

about Mat's quarterstaff, one reason we have not seen those skills before could be that he has not had access to one before.

to dexterryu::  some of the things in your analogy seem to be inaccurate.  priest; Jesus needing help.

from my understanding, Christianity's clergy are elders/deacons/pastors; not priests.

and from my understanding, Jesus would not need anyone's help.

not sure if any real life religion would tell that kind of info regardless of it being true or not.  Christianity; the Bible tells different.

I'm by no means an expert in Christianity... or even really someone that follows any religion. I just used it as an example of what it would be like in modern times to put context into why the characters doubt their abilities and/or prophesied role. I.E. if any member of any government agency or religion approached you and told you that you were the chosen one and to leave you're entire life behind to pursue it I'm sure you would have a hard time believing it.

Anyhow... to get back on topic

This is especially true in Perrin's case at the point of the story where Aragem is. He is NOT the Dragon reborn. He has come across an ability that he had never even known existed and that even Moiriane admittedly know's little about. Then he comes across Noam... which would freak me the heck out if I were in his shoes too.

So Perrin knows this for sure:

1) He has an ability that is potentially dangerous to himself

2) He is NOT the Dragon Reborn

3) He is Rand's friend which makes him valuable as a means of relating to and accessing Rand's trust.

Perrin is skeptical about himself also being Ta'veren. His role is not talked about in any Prophesy so he's skeptical when people tell him that he's important to the fight against the dark one. Given those things... it's easy to see why he'd be hesitant to play with the fire in using an ability that he's not sure he even wants and can be dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently at 50% of The Dragon Reborn

In which . . .

Mat gets a free ticket out of Tar Valon

The Trio makes plans and Nynaeve has a enlightening discussion with the Amyrlin

Mat has a night out on the town and almost gets mugged (or does he!)

Mat also reunites with a familiar face.

Mat is one lucky bastard and I wonder if it isn't because he an anomaly like Min who could see visions.  He's beginning to grow on me a bit and seems to be most streetwise of the three boys from the Eomond's Field.  Then he meets Thom who I knew was going to eventually show up again in the story somewhere.  But this is a downcast, drunken Thom with a limp and he's a bit different than he was in the first book.  

I love the duo right here.  I'll call them Lucky Bastard and Drunken Storyteller.  I think it could be the blind leading the blind.  Originally, if I saw a team up between Mat and Thom, I would imagine Thom leading Mat around, but it looks like Mat is going to take the lead in this partnership.  I think their chapters are going to be fun.  And I have to say I like the revelation Thom unknowingly gives Mat about the footpads trying to rob him (or were they?) and how freaked out Mat gets about it.  

Hopefully his get out of Tar Valon ticket will be still valid by they time they find a ship.

Also, poor Nynaeve gets a nasty revelation about Else.  Seems that Else (the real one) has been gone for weeks, sent home due to laziness and preferring boys to studying) so who has Mat and Nynaeve been talking to?  Lanfear.  She's crawling around in the tower up to something.  

As cool as it is to see the going ons within the White Tower and see Mat at last recover (or recovering) from the dagger's influence, I'm kinda want to know what's going on with Rand or Perrin.  I'm sure we'll get back to them eventually and right now we gotta focus on the other players in this epic and let them make their influences on the world and events and also developing character.

Sorry it's been so long since my last post.  I was caught up in the holidays and my writing projects.  Hope everyone had good holidays.  .