DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mats Spear.

grump

Umm no the books never show perrin causing wedding anywhere.

Really we have every reason to believe that mats luck is due to being ta'veren and none supporting either the dagger or the healing. Nowhere in the books does any type of healing have some weird after effect other than the person gasping when it happens. Nowhere do the books mention that the taint of shadar logoth cause unbelievable good luck. Ta'veren twist fate. The only way someone could be as lucky as mat is if fate was being twisted. In TDR he rolls five crowns with dices weighted to land on 3 crowns 2 roses. Thats gotta be twisting fate.

Ok your right rand has an unfortunate life in many ways, i mean he's fated to die. But still any situations where he could have died easily and yet lived could in a way be considered good luck. Fate twisted. An arrow just missed him...whatever. I mean mat is probaly going to be losing an eye soon,(not definite just the most accepted theory so far), if that happens would you consider him no longer lucky? We don't see rand as being lucky at dice because he doesn't ave time to play dice. And if he did it is most likely everyone would throw the king or something of that sort since he twists fate even more than Mat or Perrin.

Yes all Ta'veren effect those around them(Mat convinces the sea folk to follow Nynaeve and Elayne in a CoS and perrin convinces people to move from their farms to edmonds field in tSR), it's just rand does it to a much larger scale.

The main point i was trying to make is Mat's luck is directly due to being Ta'veren. Try giving some evidence to the contrary.

Re: Mat's Spear.

I see two options.

One- Mat's so lucky, he got a freebee! That would fit Mat's character.

Two- Part of the "price" they extracted for p^%$#ing them off was guaranteeing Tuon would take an interest and therefore trapping him into his destiny. "Fox who makes the ravens fly" applies equally to his ring and his spear (since he makes the ravens on the blade "fly" when he uses it).

I don’t have the books with me…In TDR the weddings I was thinking of are caused by Rand.

In any event, Mat's luck surpasses that of the other two ta'veren. I still think it has to do with the dagger.

No' date=' his luck started before then, right after he was healed by the Aes Sedai in TDR.[/quote']

In TDR, none of the Nobels wanted to gamble with him because his luck was so good, so I think it started before then.

...Try giving some evidence to the contrary.

No need to get snotty' date=' and any evidence would be circumstantial, espically since I can't look anything up at this point.

Re: Mat's Spear.

...Two- Part of the "price" they extracted for p^%$#ing them off was guaranteeing Tuon would take an interest and therefore trapping him into his destiny. "Fox who makes the ravens fly" applies equally to his ring and his spear (since he makes the ravens on the blade "fly" when he uses it).

Good Point.

returning to the topic

mats spear i believe has some meaning that has not been unfolded yet. i believe his spear was made using the OP and has some hidden meaning behind.

The spear could be used for protection, the fox headed medallion is for nothing to do with AS, and the memories are to fill up the gaps in his own memory.

answering the other topic

Rand is not exactly lucky, he twists fate. and that is different. he affects everyone around him, for good or bad, including himself. also his "luck" has some extent also, cause i think himself lucky to not have died to the two festering wounds on his side, to not have been scorched to death with the fireball and only loosing his hand and having problems with eye sight. i think that is taking it cheap.

As for Mat, he affects luck itself. like as someone already mentioned, dice. also his luck goes to battle tactics and the such that can be affected with skills and luck.

Perrin is the less ta'veren of the three i'd say.

dunno

my little grain

don’t have the books with me…In TDR the weddings I was thinking of are caused by Rand.

In any event, Mat's luck surpasses that of the other two ta'veren. I still think it has to do with the dagger.

Barmacral wrote:

No, his luck started before then, right after he was healed by the Aes Sedai in TDR.

In TDR, none of the Nobels wanted to gamble with him because his luck was so good, so I think it started before then.

bradg2010 wrote:

...Try giving some evidence to the contrary.

No need to get snotty, and any evidence would be circumstantial, espically since I can't look anything up at this point.

Not being snotty just pointing out that while I've stated that we see that ta'veren twist fate all the time in the books, which could easily cause or be seen as great luck, your claim that it's the dagger from shadar logoth has no evidence. Why would the taint of shadar logoth = luck?

As to your claim that Mat is luckier than Rand and Perrin maybe it's because Rand and Perrin don't consider luck to be nearly as important as mat, who is a gambler and a general, so being ta'veren doesn't effect them that way. Or maybe they are just as lucky they just don't spend their time gambling. Anyway we can't rule out the dagger since we have no examples of mat's luck prior to it, but we also don't have any examples of any of them twisting fate before the dagger either. It was just to early on in the series.

I understand that you don't have the books but at least list the exact reasons you think the dagger is the cause of his luck. I mean so far all i've got, and let me know if i missed something, is that he didn't get lucky until sometime after he had the dagger which hardly proves anything(see above)and your claim that he is luckier than rand and perrin.

Also just as a nitpick Mat didn't gamble with nobles until tSR when he played chop with Tairen lords. tGH-Tar Valon inns, an inkeeper for horses, a tairen ship captain, and comar in Tear. TGH- Shienarans

*Edited in quote.

Archived