DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did Pevara lie?

Sunrise Lord

In chapter 4 of AMoL, when Androl and Pevara jump Dobser, Emarin has Pevara loosen the weaves preventing Dobser from hearing them.  At the end of his spiel, he asks Pevara "He cannot hear what we say?"  To which she replies "no."  Even though this is a ruse, it is still an untruth, and should not be able to be spoken due to the restriction of the Three Oaths.  I'm inclined to think this is a slip up in the writing, but I thought it would make for interesting conversation.

This scene takes place on page 131 of the hardcover version, and 150 of the paperback.

To me this seems like classic wordplay.  If someone asks "He cannot hear what we say" and the answer is "no", than you could mean 2 things.

1.  You could be saying no to the question and affirming that he can hear what you are saying.

2.  You could be shortening an affirmation "no he cannot hear us" with just "no".

Another way of writing it is to take out the two negatives:  "He can hear what we say" "yes".  That is a less convoluted way of writing it, but has the same meaning (in some cases).

As we all know by now, the only way to circumvent the First Oath, other than being released from it, is for the speaker to truly believe that what they say is true.  Pevara knew for certain that Dobser could hear them, but said that he couldn't.

Of course, it could all be a fancy play on words.  If Emarin's question is interpreted as "he (Dobser) is unable to hear us?", and to which Pevara replies "no", which could be read as "he is able to hear us", then it's all good.  I'm not quite convinced this is actually what's going on with that scene, and lean more towards it was just an error.

Well if its a simple play on words, they don't really need to believe it.  Sort of like Moriane's fake name, she basically said you can call me, or I have been called so and so, or I have been known as and never directly said my name is so and so. 

So now looking at it He cannot hear what we say, if she said yes that would be saying he couldn't hear.  SO technically by saying No she is disagreeing with him.  Now I am 50-50 as to if this was meant or an accident.

Here is how I look at it now.  This isn't an Aes Sedai twisting oaths since it's how the Ashaman posed the question.

Had Emarin said Can he hear us, she would of had to say yes. 

He said he cannot hear what we say?  Cannot is the key, So had she said yes he cannot hear what we say, that would of been a lie.  She would of been agreeing with what he said.

By answering No to the question he cannot hear what we say, she is actually saying he can.  Normally you would say something like, No he can hear us, but she just left it at no.

Archived