DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Go Africa!

Innovation Prize for Africa Winner Creates the World's First Injectable Regenerating Bone Graft Substitute

Dr Duneas and Mr Peres will receive USD 100,000 for the Altis Osteogenic Bone Matrix (Altis OBM TM), the first injectable porcine derived BMP medical device in the world - an innovative product for the treatment of bone injuries and voids through the use of a regenerative biological implant.

Dr Nicolaas Duneas and Nuno Peres were recognized at the 2014 Innovation Prize for Africa Awards Ceremony in Abuja, Nigeria.  Before the Altis OBM was invented, patients with serious bone trauma or degradation would have to endure the removal of bone tissue from their own hips or from deceased donors in the hopes of undergoing successful bone crafting surgery- both very invasive methods. The injection of OBM leads to the rapid, safe and effective healing of problematic bone injuries, leading to the complete and natural restoration of the bone, including the bone marrow. OBM is the only bone graft substitute containing naturally extracted bone growth proteins that cooperate with high efficacy and are sourced from mammals, making it cost effective to produce.

A friend of mine just had her knee-caps replaced with those from a deceased donor, took her out of work for about 3 weeks. Wonder if the applications of this lead to shorter recovery times?

I would think there'd be much shorted recovery time, since there's no major surgery involved (from what I can see - wish I could find out more about this).

Archived