DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Star Wars Discussion!!!

U4ea

You've read I, Jedi right???

What good Star Wars fan hasn't? IMO the only things that needed to survive the EU cull:

I Jedi

Zahn books

Mara Jade. Next to Horn she is hands down the coolest character in the EU.

My favourite thing about that article is the first comment. "that looks nothing at all like Jacen Solo..."

Yeah, I'm a nerd. I've read it. I own every major star wars book in existence, and most of the minor ones, from the young adult books to several versions of the original trilogy... like the one where Luke was in Blue Squadron instead of Red.

Hmm, I'm a massive Star Wars fan, and I am feeling....unsure to say the least. I am really hoping it will be freaking amazing, but I'm not holding out for that lest it's a major disappointment. Also, the actors looks SO different now. Well, Ford looks pretty much the same I suppose, but Hamill and Fisher REALLY have not aged well. Fisher in particular looks more like a scary crone than an older version of Leia. Although I suppose makeup and special effects can do wonders...

I'm hoping they keep the classic Star Wars vibe on it and don't just turn it into another Star Trek type thing (looking at you Abrams...just chill with the lens flares dude..).

Also, not too pysched for the time period. I understand why, but to be honest, I really didn't like the EU novels set after that time, simply because they were so depressing and to me didn't feel like Star Wars very much. (EXCEPT FOR KYLE KATARN HE WAS THE MAN). It seemed like they were just filled with so many awful things that made the whole "Anakin is the Chosen One to bring balance to the Force and make things right again" plot point moot as everything goes to bantha fodder again literally like a month after Vader dies.....Kinda turned the whole thing into one seriously long winded space soap opera, instead of just, you know, space opera..

BUT I realise that's not canon anymore so who knows?

Personally I would've preferred it if they had done a series of movies set in the Old Republic, around the time of Revan and Malak (4000 years before the Skywalkers), because honestly I think that whole KOTOR storyline was one of the best in the franchise, and there is SO much that could be explored. It would mean leaving the classic movies alone and letting them go out gracefully while expanding a whole new universe for new and old fans to sink their nerdy teeth into. It better still be canon or I will not be a happy Kowakian Monkey Lizard  :dry:

Ok, Nerd rant over for now! :rolleyes:

Heh. That's one of the reasons that I like the X-Wing books. They're entirely plausible, and they don't go over the edge on "galactic peril". And they deal mostly with the Remnants of the Empire. Which is why Kyle Katarn is awesome too. Both of those arcs fit really well in the universe.

Unfortunately. the Old Republic isn't a huge marketing thing. Which is why there is no movie for it. the KotORs were actually quite small (even if acclaimed) and TOR bombed out pretty quickly (although that's more to do with being an unimaginative MMO with relatively little End Game content than for being set in the Old Republic. We might get something eventually, but they want to start off on a big note and re-establish the franchise.

On a side note, I'll stubbornly assert that KotOR 2 was a better experience than KotOR 1. Especially these days with the Restored Content Mod... although even unfinished I liked it better.

*pokes head in 'cause he heard 'Star Wars' mentioned*

I've admittedly not been keeping much track of developments of the new film, I prefer to not obsess over these things until they're out. I do enough nerding out over things that exist, let alone anticipating things.

I'm also super pissed that they threw out the EU. WIth the amazing things that Disney did with the Marvelverse, I was so sure that they could make this amazing. But discarding the piles of awesome stuff that makes up the grand Star Wars universe is like taking my childhood and putting it in a dump, From the moment I watched my first Star Wars film (It was the Phantom Menace, and I will defend that film and Liam Neeson's character to the death, do you hear me?) I have been utterly obsessed, I've played dozens of games, read tonnes of books and often browse Wookieepedia for the hell of it. All that stuff being gone just makes me sad.

I still have high hopes for VII though, if only because Star Wars continuing to live despite Lucas' menace gives me new hope.

Sorry for the puns, I couldn't resist the temptation. Of the Dark Side.

Archived