DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Remembering/rediscovering things upon rereading the books (up to KoD)

Martok

I'd never really considered those factors before, but I think you two have hit the nail on the head. 

I daresay it was indeed the increasingly lengthy waits between releases, combined with the middle/later books being increasingly slower-paced, and then combined with there seeming to be no end in sight at the time that made CoS, PoD, WH, and CoT so difficult to get through back then.  (KoD really ramped the pace back up; it was almost as if you could feel Jordan's urgency to try and finish things before he passed away.) 

Knowing now that there's an end to the series -- and that the pace picks up dramatically with Knife of Dreams -- probably made it a lot easier for me to get through books 7-10 this time around. 

It's odd for me to hear people mention Crown of Swords. That one to me had a lot happen in it and was very enjoyable:

The Elayne\Nyneave in Ebou Dar

Nyneave gets block resolved.

Mat in Ebou Dar

Pedron Niall getting murdered

Rand's practice sword fight leading into Fain's bubble of evil thing.

Bowl of winds found

Rand taking out Samael

Fain I take cannot create miasma; I take only the Dark one can create them.

Rand "taking out" Sammael seems inaccurate in any sense of the phrase.

in a literal sense, Rand chased Sammael.

If "taking out" means "killing", something else seemed to kill Sammael; I recall somewhere telling that it would be unsafe for the Dark One to resurrect Sammael.

• 1 month later...

Update:  So I've broken into the Sanderson books at last.  I'm now just about halfway through The Gathering Storm...and pardon my Klingon, but holy fucking shit!! 

I've just finished reading the chapters "The Last That Could Be Done" and "A Warp in the Air".  Since I don't want to spoil anything for those who've not read that far into the series yet, let's just say I'm pretty much in shock at the moment.  I'm having a hard time believing that just happened -- all of it. 

I'm going to huddle up in a corner now... 

• 1 month later...

Am currently reading the chapter "The Last Battle" in AMOL.  At the moment, all I can say is this: 

Olver, you brave, foolish boy!  For me, that may be both the most heartwarming and awesome moment in the book so far.  I literally cheered while simultaneously tearing up... 

Also:  Holy crap, are the characters dropping like flies now!...including some I'll admit I didn't expect.  The deaths are as heart-wrenching and gut-twisting as I'd feared they would be. 

Kudos, though, to Sanderson/Jordan for being willing to kill off major characters like that.  A battle where only secondary characters die feels...less meaningful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally finished it.  It took me a good eight months, but I read the entire series, beginning to end. 

Will try and express my thoughts once I've had a chance to organize them.  At the moment, though, I'm just drained.  Whew!  What a ride! 

Archived