DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shadowspawn Aging and Lifespan

As requested from the Simple questions thread: 

My post: 

How long do Trollocs live? (and Myrddraal) 

I haven't seen anything in the interviews, anyone know anything about this?

You could use a bit of biology, but I'm not sure how far that can be reliable, after all it is fantasy.

Trollocs are a hybrid of human and a variety of other animals (wolf, goat, eagle are the three off the top of my head). 

Most of the animal hybrids live considerably less than humans in the 'real world'. That would suggest that Trollocs natural lifespan would be approximately half of a humans. The high rate of reproduction and their innate aggression would back that up. (Of course, the aggression is mostly the DO's influence)

Myrddraal being the human-dominant Trolloc children would suggest they live longer than their Trolloc brethren, if not so long as humans. On the other hand, their unique qualities might actually extend their lives beyond human span if they are mainly human bolstered with some of the other animal immunity and strengths. 

The other factor is of course the DO and Aginor, which can't really be factored in to a large extent, but we can use some reasoning. 

1. The TP can be used to prolong lives. See Aginor in EotW, and RJ confirmed this was how the DO would grant the Forsaken immortality. (let me know if you want me to find the quote.) 

The Trollocs were made in part with the TP, it is possible that this could have a similar effect. Conversely, as we see with Ishamael, unrestrained use of the TP will destroy the user. It could then mean the Trollocs lives are reduced. It depends on how the True Power was used in the creation, as it can both heal/destroy.  The answer we don't know, as we have no idea HOW Aginor created them precisely. 

2. The purpose of Trollocs when Aginor created them was a disposable super-soldier. The high birth rates and lack of children Trollocs - not to mention Aginor's disregard for the life-quality of his subjects - would suggest they were created to breed and mature quickly, which would likely come at the expense of reducing their life-span. After all, they were likely to be killed as OP-fodder, efficiency and turnover would be more important than longevity. 

I haven't seen anything about this to support my idea, but I would think trollocs would have a very short lifespan. Pretty much for the reason you said:

2. The purpose of Trollocs when Aginor created them was a disposable super-soldier. The high birth rates and lack of children Trollocs - not to mention Aginor's disregard for the life-quality of his subjects - would suggest they were created to breed and mature quickly, which would likely come at the expense of reducing their life-span. After all, they were likely to be killed as OP-fodder, efficiency and turnover would be more important than longevity. 

I would guess they probably had the lifespan of a human but being that they lead rather violent lives probably don't live long.  Female Trolloc would be the way to find out as they don't fight and are simply breeding machines.  So they would probably be the only trollocs who would die a natural death. 

What others said.Myrddraal probably have roughly human lifespan,or longer.

Draghkar probably have short lives,I think - they feed on vitality of others, so probably they die if unfed for long...

Most shadowspawn are probably killed before "full" lifespan is reached.

some reasons::

-most of them are involved in some form of fighting

-few of them have any kind of protection

-few of them could escape in any way

• 2 weeks later...

As requested from the Simple questions thread: 

My post: 

How long do Trollocs live? (and Myrddraal) 

I haven't seen anything in the interviews, anyone know anything about this?

You could use a bit of biology, but I'm not sure how far that can be reliable, after all it is fantasy.

Trollocs are a hybrid of human and a variety of other animals (wolf, goat, eagle are the three off the top of my head). 

Most of the animal hybrids live considerably less than humans in the 'real world'. That would suggest that Trollocs natural lifespan would be approximately half of a humans. The high rate of reproduction and their innate aggression would back that up. (Of course, the aggression is mostly the DO's influence)

Myrddraal being the human-dominant Trolloc children would suggest they live longer than their Trolloc brethren, if not so long as humans. On the other hand, their unique qualities might actually extend their lives beyond human span if they are mainly human bolstered with some of the other animal immunity and strengths. 

The other factor is of course the DO and Aginor, which can't really be factored in to a large extent, but we can use some reasoning. 

1. The TP can be used to prolong lives. See Aginor in EotW, and RJ confirmed this was how the DO would grant the Forsaken immortality. (let me know if you want me to find the quote.) 

The Trollocs were made in part with the TP, it is possible that this could have a similar effect. Conversely, as we see with Ishamael, unrestrained use of the TP will destroy the user. It could then mean the Trollocs lives are reduced. It depends on how the True Power was used in the creation, as it can both heal/destroy.  The answer we don't know, as we have no idea HOW Aginor created them precisely. 

This, plus you have the benefit of mature soldiers in 1-2 years or less, though you trade off longevity which is then bolstered by the human stock so maybe they live a quarter to a third the natural lifespan of men.  Between their infighting with the clans and the Fades killing them for example, not long.  I'd like to know how long it takes until a Fade's blade loses power, and if the blade is a source for any of their Fade-powers.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a little off-topic, but hasn't anyone else wondered why none of the other Forsaken are ever mentioned aside from the 13 that were trapped?  I kinda wish when Rand is in LTT mode he throws some names and some horrid deeds out there tied to one of the others, but it is as if only the 13 he trapped existed, he never thinks on any of those he killed, none of the other shadow Generals, the 13 seem to be all consuming.  Seems to me that they weren't even the best, just the last of the Forsaken run to their Master that got themselves trapped.

According to the big white book the Dark one encouraged the Chosen to widdle down their numbers since he wanted only the strongest to serve him.  The survivors of this winnowing process , the thirteen of the most powerful chosen , who were caught in the sealing of the bore.  I am guessing these were more important  because some of the most important Aes Sedai to go to the shadow Ishy, Dem, Lanfear, Aginor, Grendal etc.. were all prominet people to publicly turn to the shadow.  I think too much was already happening in the book for LTT to be thinking about Bob Smith and the terrible deeds he did seeing how all of the chosen were responsible for horrible deeds. 

• 2 months later...

I've pondered this at length (along with everything else about Shadowspawn biology) and come to similar conclusions. :D Though the fact that we never see Trolloc (or other Shadowspawn) children doesn't mean they didn't exist -- the breeding operations occurred entirely off page.

Archived