DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anime anyone?

Almastema

Cowboy Beebop, (Star Blazers)Battleship Yamamoto, Full Metal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, Tranzor Z.... yeah I know, I'm showing my age here. Robotech...

I think Cowboy Beebop is one of the few English Dubs that is better than the Japanese original. I just thought that the originals vocioeswere kinda annoying, except for the guy who did Jet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the anime Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan? It's only 9 or so eps but is absolutely hilarious -- super-kawaii but comically violent at the same time. You really have to see it to understand.

My fave anime would have to be Rurouni Kenshin (though I hate Samurai X. It's just depressing and... bad.) It's a shame that they tried to milk it for all it was worth and then the "Tales of the Meiji" arc fell flat on its face. Now the rest of it will never be converted into animated glory. *grumbles*

Recently I've gotten into Bleach but I've only seen up to episode 24-ish (Byakuya just came into the plot) so I've got quite a while till I'm up-to-date.

I'm really excited about Miyazaki's son's adaptation of the Earthsea books by Ursula LeGuin. Whoever did the recent tv series did an absolutely appalling job, so I hope Miyazaki can do it justice.

Anime, for kids? Anyone that says that should watch the first ten minutes of Elfin Lied. Squick.

personally, i liked both of them. the animation in samurai x was better, but i think the direction of the series was better. for the bit of it i saw, at least.

recently, i have started watching mar. i am not exactly sure where i stand on it yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-chan is 6 episode long btw.

Anyway, I own (so then would obviously recommend):

*BTW, some of these are better in Japanese, some are better in English, some it doesn't matter*

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Revolutionary Girl Utena

R.O.D. (The OVA)

Love Hina

Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Rahxephon

Spirited Away

The Cowboy Bebop movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Show's I've seen and would recommend:

Kamichu

Cowboy Bebop

Full Metal Alchemist

Yumeria

Excel Saga

Ghost in the Shell (The first movie)

Perfect Blue

Naruto (through episode 135 roughly)

Naruto Shippuden

Bleach

Read or Dream

I have others, most of course are not coming to mind.

English dubbed is never better than Japanese with subtitles. The voices almost never match the characters they portray. Anyways my recommendations:

Street Fighter II V

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Inu Yasha (ends rather abruptly though)

Love Hina

Baslisk

Bubble Gum Crisis (the original 8 OVA episodes)

Full Metal Alchemist

Bleach

Naruto (The early episodes)

Tenchi Muyo (orignal OVAs)

Ah! My Goddess

Escaflone (Series not the movie)

Initial D

Ruroni Kenshin (up until the Kyoto Arc)

School Rumble

Tenjou Tenge

Full Metal Panic

Club to Death Angel Dokuro-chan is actually 8 episodes, lol.

I love anime, my username is a character from Galaxy Express 999 which is the ultimate classic anime. I haven't watched all of it yet, but I was in love with Maetel from the first episode. She reminds me so much of an Aes Sedai it's freaky!

Apart from GE999 I love Azumanga Daioh, Windy Tales, Red Garden, Haibane Renmei and Honey and Clover. I've seen over a hundred series by now but I am vehemently against loli characters especially those saturated with moe characteristics. Perhaps it was even WoT which almost converted me to extreme feminist and it's hard to avoid sexism in anime. Still I am on my neverending search to find feminist and quality anime.

I watch most of my anime on crunchyroll.com so the quality is never excellent but whenever I can I buy anime so I own a dozen or so box-sets.

English dubbed is never better than Japanese with subtitles. The voices almost never match the characters they portray.

In the past' date=' yes. Since roughly 2003ish, I would heartily disagree.

Full Metal Alchemist

Escaflowne

Full Metal Panic

RahXephon

Spirited Away

The above 5 are better in English.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is on par and just as good in English as it is in Japanese.

Now, older shows, your 100% right on. I would [b']*NEVER*[/b] suggest someone watch Neon Genesis Evangelion in English. They would be missing out on one of the best (if not THE best) voice acting casts in all of anime. The Japnese Shinji blows Spike Spencer out of the water.

Again though, nowadays, it can be a tossup. Don't be an anime snob now. Give both languages a chance!

Archived