DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is Demandred

Fjaman

I remember reading som interview with RJ where he state something along the lines of:

Demandred has never posed as mazrim taim,

but the remember just like aes sedai the most straight forward answer is usually the trickiest ones...

Does anyone else quickly jump to the conclusion that he never POSED as taim since he IS taim, or is that pushing the statement a little to hard?

Who do you think demandred poses as?

Does anyone else quickly jump to the conclusion that he never POSED as taim since he IS taim, or is that pushing the statement a little to hard?

That is definitely pushing the statement too hard, since Mazrim Taim was born before Demandred was free, and so to actually be Mazrim Taim, he would have to emliminate the original and pose as him.

Demandred is not Mazrim Taim. Its entirely possible that he's not posing as anyone at all, but simply giving orders to others who are. It seems likely that Demandred has given orders to Taim from time to time, including (most likely) the orders that sent him to Rand initially.

One theory is that Demandred is King Roedran of Murandy. While I don't personally think this is the case, it does not contradict anything we know to be true, so it could be correct.

I personally think he is behind the Borderland army which has come south. Whether he is personally with that army in some capacity is very debatable. He would, like Taim, probably have difficulty adapting to a subordinate position, which would make it more likely that he is moving events from behind the scenes. I believe it is Sammael who mentions that Demandred likes to work through proxies (I can't find a source so don't quote me on it), so that would fit the bill.

dont say that you didnt think demandred was taim when you first read the books i mean it seems so obvious that it should be him, with the slightly less ability to hold the power, dispise to recieve medals from the Dragon, trying to be the dragon himself, almost the dragon in every aspect...

If he isnt taim why add the aes sedai comment to his (RJ) statement why not just say no he isnt taim and let it be...

We know Demandred is not Taim, D. didn't recognize one of the guys with Rand at the cleansing, I forget who, the old guy, the very first guy Taim tested to be an ashaman - he wouldn't have forgotten that old guy.

There was something else that led us to believe that they can't be the same guy, i don't remember what right off hand. Plus i think RJ has said that Taim isn't Demandred.

I thought for sure he was for a long time. I was so proud of myself for figuring it out, just to be shot down in winter's heart. Bummer. He's definitely up to something, and the Dark One seems pretty happy with his progress when they have a little chat, whatever that progress may be.

What book did Dem. chat with the DO and ask him "aren't I doing well, my Lord?" or something like that? I feel like it was right after Rand was rescued from the Aes Sedai by the Ashamen, and Perrin and company (maybe my favorite chapter in all the books). Which makes me think he has to be connected, I doubt RJ would put that in there just to throw us off. I'm not sure what else he might have been talking about, I don't think many other big things happened at the time.

Guest cwestervelt
dont say that you didnt think demandred was taim when you first read the books i mean it seems so obvious that it should be him' date=' with the slightly less ability to hold the power, dispise to recieve medals from the Dragon, trying to be the dragon himself, almost the dragon in every aspect...

If he isnt taim why add the aes sedai comment to his (RJ) statement why not just say no he isnt taim and let it be...[/quote']

Well, I will say it. At no time did I ever consider that Taim was Demandred.

Has anyone ever asked RJ if Demandred is posing as anyone at all?

I mean, if we've never seen him onscreen as anyone but Demandred, all this speculation could be rather pointless.

I kind of get the feeling that he has something to do with King Roedran. He sent Egwene and the rebel tower packing as well as the Band of the Red Hand, both with slick dealing.

Guest cwestervelt
what about the white cloaks? they have a rather large army' date=' and massive influence. currently there is no known affiliation with the shadow among them... is there ???[/quote']

If it's not broke, don't fix it. I can see the Forsaken looking at the Whitecloaks with much the same attitude. Until recently the Whitecloaks were sufficiently misguided by their own doctrine there was no need for any of the Forsaken to meddle with them. Had Galad not stepped in, the Whitecloaks would have done more to help the Dark One win Tarmon Gaidon than any group of Darkfriends. All of it under the belief they were saving the world from the evil of another false dragon who, by his ability to channel, was a darkfriend.

iirc, RJ has said damendred is someone we haven't seen yet in the books.

and the whitecloaks had a high ranking DF in them at one time, but he's since dead. then Fain was involved for a bit, but he isn't exactly friendly to the DO. other than that, i don't think anyone else in the white cloaks has been identified as being a DF or FS. however, some of their main players sure seem to be dark and demented. :)

hmm. i may have to go reread that part. i didn't think it was asunawa that was the DF or that he was 'bors'. i could be wrong cuz its been awhile since i've read that part of the story. but i thought it was another guy that was being visited by a fade and eventually was killed.

Sorry, I can't recall at the moment what book the meeting was in and I am working from memory here.

After Bors leaves the meeting, he puts on his regular clothes. It describes his clothes as having a shepard's crook or something similar on it. That is the sign of the Questioners. The only Questioner we have met in the story is Asunawa, their leader.

i remember the identity of the character being pretty spelled out and in his PoV he's 'bors'. i can't recall if he was a questioner, but it almost seems like he was...

we've never had a PoV from asuwala (have we?) to know for sure if he is a DF, but he's definitely one of the demented people i referred to earlier.

Guest Wynne Jessal

Bors is Jaichim Caridin. Jaichim Caridin is Bors.

Or should I say "was."

Rhadam Asunawa is just creepy and irritating, but I don't believe there's any evidence he's a DF.

And to back that up, it should be pointed out that Carridin responded when Liandrin addressed him as Bors in Tanchico.

Back to Demandred, I kind of like the idea that Masema might be one of his "proxies". Dirty Rand's name up a bit, you dig? Given his MO, it's not unlikely for him to be operating in more than one arena. As far as aliases, he could have one for every scenario he's involved in. Sammael had two alter-egos we know about. Why not Demandred?

Archived