DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

OH MY GOODNESS A NEW THEORY HIT ME!

BookwormSedai

When Ishamael/Moridin used the True Power in (some past book I can't remember), he linked himself with Lews Therin/Rand and made him able to channel the True Power!

Think about it. If your thinking "what benefit is that to Moridin?" He might have done it by accident. And Rand only uses it after that scene.

I always assumed he gained access through his weird link with Moridin, the one that happened after their streams of balefire hit each other. That scene also felt kind of like a weird Ghostbusters reference to me...

That's pretty much what I thought. He could pull the TP through Moridin's link because he and Moridin were merging together.

I always assumed he gained access through his weird link with Moridin, the one that happened after their streams of balefire hit each other. That scene also felt kind of like a weird Ghostbusters reference to me...

That's pretty much what I thought. He could pull the TP through Moridin's link because he and Moridin were merging together.

Question

Is Rand's access to the True Power via his link with Moridin, created at Shadar Logoth?

Brandon Sanderson

No one may channel the True Power without the Dark One's permission, and Rand doesn't have that.

I enjoyed the little references to the effects that the bond was having on Rand, like how he suddenly started favoring the colors black and red.

I enjoyed the little references to the effects that the bond was having on Rand, like how he suddenly started favoring the colors black and red.

Yeah, and then they started developing some of the same mannerisms, like Moridin standing with his hand behind his back. Even other characters noticed the changes, and remarked on the similarities, if I remember right.

Yeah, and then they started developing some of the same mannerisms, like Moridin standing with his hand behind his back. Even other characters noticed the changes, and remarked on the similarities, if I remember right.

You guys are totally right, I can't believe I never picked up on that...

• 2 weeks later...

Question

Is Rand's access to the True Power via his link with Moridin, created at Shadar Logoth?

Brandon Sanderson

No one may channel the True Power without the Dark One's permission, and Rand doesn't have that.

What is your interpretation of this answer if you don't mind my asking?  He does not say no outright.  I think it could mean a few things:

1. Rand doesn't have the DO's permission at that moment, but gains it later because the DO is trying to manipulate him.

2. Brandon states "no one may" not "no one can" implying perhaps that it is not impossible, only not permitted, but would anger the DO and draw his attention.

3. Since he does not say outright that Rand can't channel the True Power, it's possible that Rand can, and his access is a result of the link.  Wording the answer this way could be perceived as evading the original question, or the spirit of it anyway.

And any number of other possibilities.  What I'm saying here is that he basically doesn't confirm or deny anything - it's an Aes Sedai answer.

Question

Brandon Sanderson

What is your interpretation of this answer if you don't mind my asking?  He does not say no outright.  I think it could mean a few things:

1. Rand doesn't have the DO's permission at that moment, but gains it later because the DO is trying to manipulate him.

2. Brandon states "no one may" not "no one can" implying perhaps that it is not impossible, only not permitted, but would anger the DO and draw his attention.

3. Since he does not say outright that Rand can't channel the True Power, it's possible that Rand can, and his access is a result of the link.  Wording the answer this way could be perceived as evading the original question, or the spirit of it anyway.

And any number of other possibilities.  What I'm saying here is that he basically doesn't confirm or deny anything - it's an Aes Sedai answer.

I figure that at that point, Rand and Moridin have been merging for a little while, and Rand is able to use the True Power because the DO thinks that Moridin is using it. When Rand channels and gets sick, it affects Moridin, too. Maybe the reason channeling affects Rand so strongly is because the merge makes it him a confusing channel for the Power to flow through, since he's almost like one man in two bodies. Or maybe Moridin was holding the True Power at that point, and he got it straight from him. You'd think he'd notice that, though. Actually, you'd think he'd notice it in general.

In other words, my guess is that raw power can't tell the two of them apart. They seem to share a channel, or maybe their channels are crossed and flow into one another. If the DO were actually consciously giving Moridin the TP, then he would probably realize the difference, but apparently Moridin can grab it whenever he wants. So when Rand reached for it, there seemed to be no reason for the DO to take notice, because Moridin does that all the time. If he took special notice every time Moridin reached for the TP, he wouldn't have time for anything else.

That is the popular theory, and the reason that the question was posed to Sanderson.  If you're correct, Sanderson's answer could easily have been "Yes."  He instead gives a slippery answer, which could mean that you are wrong, right, or anything in-between.

That is the popular theory, and the reason that the question was posed to Sanderson.  If you're correct, Sanderson's answer could easily have been "Yes."  He instead gives a slippery answer, which could mean that you are wrong, right, or anything in-between.

I always assumed that Sanderson was just trying not to give away the extent or nature of the merge, or reveal it to anyone who hadn't guessed it already, since they could probably make more guesses about the ending if that were totally confirmed.

Archived