DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Europa Univalus

Durinax

I've played a lot of EU3 and I've pre-ordered EU4. I'm a big fan of Paradox Interactive's grand strategy games, and Europa Universalis is probably the most fun series imo. You can play as pretty much any nation form 1444 to the late 18th century and build your colonial and trade empire, or unite all of Islam under one empire, or resist western colonisation as China. Anything you want, really. I've tried the demo, and so far it looks good. Multiplayer is also fun in these games.

It does have a pretty steep learning curve. There's a lot of stuff to get into, which can be pretty overwhelming, but it's definitely worth it.

have you tried playing as a new world faction yet? They are crippled beyond belief, as Aztecs I conquered Central America, have 0 revolt possibilities, and it takes 1500 points for tech, no idea how much for ideas. But its a 150% modifier, with a base tech level of 0. Its kind of irritating me right now, because I basically turn on the game and then go mess around with other stuff and nothing happens on 4x speed.

As the new world nations, you basically steamroll your neighbours and then sit around and wait for the europeans to show up and kick your ass. If you're really good and really lucky, you might get a european neighbour, westernize, and then try your best to catch up in tech... but you'll definitely lose.

Edit: It's like that by design. The new world nations are supposed to be weak.

• Community Administrator

yeah, my problem is that as lets say the Aztecs and Maya and Incans they actually where fairly technological, so they should start with some tech instead of 0. Drives me nuts

That's one of my pet peeves with games like this.

They never go one step ahead and say.

"well, if this culture were to become more advanced, how would they design something?"

Aka, if the Mayans had developed siege weaponry. They always use a European model in games like this for those, instead of one that could be of Mayan design.

I mean hell. If the Mayans developed Cars, why wouldn't they look like Jaguars?! :tongue:

I chalk it down to just plain laziness. Easier to stick with known things, instead of sinking resources into designs for technology that never existed for a culture that was wiped out before it could develop it. :tongue:

yeah, my problem is that as lets say the Aztecs and Maya and Incans they actually where fairly technological, so they should start with some tech instead of 0. Drives me nuts

That's one of my pet peeves with games like this.

They never go one step ahead and say.

"well, if this culture were to become more advanced, how would they design something?"

Aka, if the Mayans had developed siege weaponry. They always use a European model in games like this for those, instead of one that could be of Mayan design.

I mean hell. If the Mayans developed Cars, why wouldn't they look like Jaguars?! :tongue:

I chalk it down to just plain laziness. Easier to stick with known things, instead of sinking resources into designs for technology that never existed for a culture that was wiped out before it could develop it. :tongue:

well that doesn't bother me much, but to put the Aztecs Mayan and Inca on the same level of the Cree and other North American Indians is just plain wrong.

anyways any recommended mods?

• Community Administrator

well that doesn't bother me much, but to put the Aztecs Mayan and Inca on the same level of the Cree and other North American Indians is just plain wrong.

Yar. I've never played that particular game, but was talking more so in general for that game genre.

I believe for instance, Empire: Total War (as an example) actually limited the technology native American populations could ever obtain. Which basically gimped them past a certain level of technology.

In-fact, they went so far as to say they couldn't ever build ships for sailing!

Which is utter hog-wash. As the any culture that studied the stars could eventually have figured out how to navigate via the stars! That's really the biggest issue when it comes to sailing the oceans!

Hax'll probably have better mod requests than I could possibly recommend.

Have you checked the steam workshop?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=236850

yeah I have been keeping an eye on it but not seeing much that catches my attention, most of them are just little flag changes and such. The ones that adjust tech levels and such seem to just clear the slate so all factions are equal in tech which is a bit much imo, although one in the early stages of production looks good that it expanding north America into many nations and filling quite a bit of it. But its too early to get that one I think

I think it'll be a while before the really good mods are released. The Death and Taxes mod and MEIOU mod were supposed to be great mods for EU3, but I've never tried them. The mod teams who did them are going to develop an EU4 version, but that's probably months away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived