DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What kind of Christian was Robert Jordan?

Xenharmonic

Hello everybody—this is my first post in the forum. I'm currently onto book 5 and finding the series pretty fantastic, but something is bothering me.

I've looked around the net trying to find out Robert Jordan's religious beliefs and only found insubstantial information.

He describes himself as a "high church Episcopalian" but some of his other quotes point towards him not being a super conservative, "The only way to heaven is through the Son" Christian

I would be very grateful if you could help me answer this question :).

He studied many world religions...

Interview: Jul 22nd, 2004 Jason Denzel
One unique subject discussed over dinner was the metaphysical basis for the underlying spiritual topography of the WoT. Specifically, one member of the dinner party asked RJ whether he had intentionally woven core elements of the world's various spiritual/mystical traditions into his work, or whether those ideas were in fact manifesting THROUGH him as pure art.
Robert Jordan

His answer was a description of his bookshelf at home, which begins at the left side with the Christian Bible, continues into more Judeo-Christian texts, then picks up with the Quran, with books on Hindusim (I got the sense he was referring to the Bhagavad-Gita, but would need to check with him to be sure), Buddhist texts, and then what he called various "discourses" on world religion and spiritual philosophy.

Jason Denzel

In short—RJ is a student of world relgion, which explains much of the religious diversity of his work, not just in terms of the many cultures of his world but in terms of the underlying metaphysical structure of his universe.

We also know what he though of people that are not tolerant in their beliefs..

Interview: Apr 5th, 2001 Question
Are Whitecloaks based on the Ku Klux Klan?
Robert Jordan

Amongst others. Any group that believes to know the Truth with a capital T and want you to believe the same. Mostly it's based on groups like the Teutonic Knights, however, since they don't hide behind anything. The Church in the early Christian days, like the Taliban now, are people who know the Truth, and they will kill you if you don't believe the truth.

Guest PiotrekS

Episcopalians seem to me to be fairly liberal Christians. I doubt whether it's their belief that "atheists go to hell".

Guest PiotrekS

Doesn't every sect of Christianity believe that you go to hell unless you've accepted Jesus as your savior?  After all, we atheists are all evil demons with no morals :rolleyes:

Of course we are evil demons with no morals :wink:  But apparently some large groups of Christians are now reluctant to send to hell even demons, leaving the whole judgment thing in God's hands instead. I'm sure there are plenty of those who still enjoy a nice thought of their local atheist roasting on the hellish barbeque, but Episcopalans seem nice. They accept women and homosexuals into their clergy. Such bloodthirsty attitudes somehow don't fit the picture imho.

Thanks guys. 

From what I've learned so far, I'd say it's probable that RJ didn't believe good atheists/agnostics go to hell, but if anyone has any other quotes regarding his religious or philosophical beliefs, please link them :). 

Archived