A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Point ... A Point ... Dear Basel needs a Point

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cause and effect???

ON HIS BLINDNESS

by: John Milton (1608-1674)

• w_pic.gifHEN I consider how my light is spent Ere half my days in this dark world and wide, And that one talent which is death to hide, Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent To serve therewith my Maker, and present My true account, lest He returning chide, 'Doth God exact day labor, light denied?' I fondly ask. But Patience to prevent That murmur soon replies, 'God doth not need Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed, And post o'er land and ocean without rest; They also serve who only stand and wait.'

'On His Blindness' is reprinted from English Poems. Ed. Edward Chauncey Baldwin. New York: American Book Company, 1908.

I have it on good authority that John Milton was a chronic italicizer.

Tale of Genji is good stuff btw.

I haven't read that ... but I have read The Tale of Murasaki - which is an historical novel based on the life of the author. I enjoyed it. It's a re-reader for me. Lots of lovely colours and interesting things.

Cause and effect???

ON HIS BLINDNESS

by: John Milton (1608-1674)

• w_pic.gifHEN I consider how my light is spent Ere half my days in this dark world and wide, And that one talent which is death to hide, Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent To serve therewith my Maker, and present My true account, lest He returning chide, 'Doth God exact day labor, light denied?' I fondly ask. But Patience to prevent That murmur soon replies, 'God doth not need Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed, And post o'er land and ocean without rest; They also serve who only stand and wait.'

'On His Blindness' is reprinted from English Poems. Ed. Edward Chauncey Baldwin. New York: American Book Company, 1908.

I lost my copy of Milton, ironically enough in a flood. He's so inspiring for artist. All my art associated with the book is lost in a fire. More irony. Maybe Milton is just bad luck..

Australia you gotta love livin' in a land of natural disasters.

Archived