DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Let's learn something new

Maurelle

It's time for Tywin to choose his weapons and his path (the spring or the void). I have him choosing knives and the void, but would like him to have a mentor to teach him these things-I can do these rps solo, but would prefer an actual mentor. Do I have any volunteers?

The whole idea behind spring makes no sense to my poor brain. >.< All the training I've had is about concentrating and centering oneself- very similar to the void. I don't know if I could describe the spring well enough to write it...

Reki - not much, there isn't a huge emphasis on it now as the usual is Flame and Void which is commonly practiced in the books. Spring, I believe, is virtually non-existent in the books, I think it was created by one of our older members. Back when I joined DM, you had to pick either the Spring or Flame, it was mandatory.

I'm debating dropping that requirement, to make it optional if someone wants to explore more about it, they can and it'd count as a WS. Not sure yet.

They both result in the oneness, flame and void is just the method mentioned in the books to reach ko'di or oneness.

Flame and void by feedong your emotions/thoughts into a void and findong concentration through that; no thought no feel just be. I see this as a way to control emotions to get rid of possible distractions.

The spring by embracing everything you're feeling and thinking, and rather than suppressing it, making it fuel your fight. So you foght wirh your passion. It doesn't mean you let your emotions rule you; rather it's more about commanding your emotions and making the best of what you already feel and perceive. You are open to your fear, anger, joy, love, determination, what have you, so there os vulnerability. But you're also not trying to shut part of yourself down or store it away, so you are one with yourself in an organic way.

Visar chose the latter. My guardsman Torvus chose Flame. I think while calm and focus in a fight are great, supressing what i fee, which is a part of who i am, doesn't make me fight with everything i've got. It's not just about focus and technique. I don't personally achieve oneness by shutting parts of me down; least that's how i see it, i'm sure it's more complex than that. I think ot depends on the person and what works for them.

Could be fun if your trainee tried to learn the spring and didn't like it :p though that would be a lot of effort lol.

I actually don't know, now that I've read your explanation, which he'd end up choosing. Mayhaps I should have someone explain it to him and have him attempt the technique. My characters are very organic in the way they end up doing things, so letting him experiment will probably be best. Would you care to be the one to give the explanation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...