Scrolls

Nolder

• Community Administrator

Which game?

Cobalt?

0x10c 

Just found out though, its on hold. >_<

Uggh.

Dunno about scrolls though... never had much luck in TCG strategy games. (Used to be big in MTG but just got wrecked in tournies, simply because I didn't have the kind of $$$ to build killer decks..)

Ohhhhhh 

Yeah I don't know anything about 0x10c except the name

And yeah I know what you mean about MTG but Scrolls is supposed to be very light on your wallet.

It's going to have an in game economy and you can use your in game money to buy and trade for cards.

You can also pay real money but supposedly that isn't supposed to give you a real advantage.

Whether that'll be true or not remains to be seen but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I really like TCG's.

Ohhhhhh 

Yeah I don't know anything about 0x10c except the name

And yeah I know what you mean about MTG but Scrolls is supposed to be very light on your wallet.

It's going to have an in game economy and you can use your in game money to buy and trade for cards.

You can also pay real money but supposedly that isn't supposed to give you a real advantage.

Whether that'll be true or not remains to be seen but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I really like TCG's.

My main problem with a lot  of TCGs, is playing against people that play those kinds of games almost exclusively, to the point that any attempt at a match, basically always ends in losing. And without some winning, you really can't tell if your getting better at it or not... 

Speaking of MTG, still irritates me.. Had a group of friends I'd always play with/against. And Did reasonably well with some of them, others not a chance.   But I made one deck that was nigh unbeatable. And it got to the point that no one would play against it, so I dismantled it. (still kicking myself over that!)

I had a great speed-burn deck. (goblins)

and man.. this

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=25676

Rocked it.  

(course, helps when you interpret the rules wrong, and everyone else accepts it as cannon. Aka, I thought 4 of those stacked. Which made it all the more OP lol)

My grandma come over to my house one day out of the blue and decided to clean my room and to this day I have no idea where my four best decks went. So I just sold the rest of my cards for $80 in highschool. Not a bad way to kick the habit all things told.

My grandma come over to my house one day out of the blue and decided to clean my room and to this day I have no idea where my four best decks went. So I just sold the rest of my cards for $80 in highschool. Not a bad way to kick the habit all things told.

Heh, those decks (if they were actually good) might have sold for more than that. :tongue:

I still have my collection.. but its ancient by todays standard..

I also had this other deck.. Was a pain in the ass to do anything with it, but when it worked.... It was brilliant. (was about as likely to succeed as pulling off a royal flush in poker...)

Draco x4

Cryptic Gatewayx2

Ather Mutation x4 (or more)

Day of the Dragonsx2

Some other card I can't recall.. It operated like Faceless Butcher only it removed all of a chosen creature type.

Obliterate x2

The idea of the combo, (was you'd potentially be able to obliterate your opponents entire playfield, and return with a massive army and just... well humiliate them.

Replacing the DoTD it with something that converts all the creatures you have (and you'd get 18 for every draco you turn into saplings) could lead to one very beefy creature. And then Faceless butchering + obliterating.

There was also another creature, that I swear I had at one point, but can never find, that allowed me to change all creatures of chosen type into another chosen creature type, so I could basically, destroy DoTD, keep all  my 5/5 tokens + my original guys back. Repeat again (next turn) and double it... But I can't find that card for the life of me.

Either way, there's multiple routes to achieving the same goal.

Leaving your opponent with -75 life. :biggrin:

They probably weren't even close to good tbh. I only ever played with like one friend lol.

As for value. Eh...I had one card that was worth about $20 at the time and that was my most valuable card.

Also I've looked through the Scrolls cards and already built a deck.

There's not much choice right now tbh but looking at the amount of blocks in Minecraft I know how quickly you can go from feeling like you have no options to too many lol.

Also also that's a pretty cool combo. A lot of my favorite cards back in the day were artifacts.

They probably weren't even close to good tbh. I only ever played with like one friend lol.

As for value. Eh...I had one card that was worth about $20 at the time and that was my most valuable card.

Also I've looked through the Scrolls cards and already built a deck.

There's not much choice right now tbh but looking at the amount of blocks in Minecraft I know how quickly you can go from feeling like you have no options to too many lol.

Also also that's a pretty cool combo. A lot of my favorite cards back in the day were artifacts.

Yea, sucked that it basically required 5+ of each land (just for a good chance of getting them on the field) to get the one dragon down real cheap. Get two, and others = free (even other dragons... and I had that in a dragon deck..)

Just the tokens alone, are more than enough to over-whelm an opponent. The day of the dragons is basically over-kill. :wink: obliteration  is just there for humiliation. (lol, what can I say.. After losing all those games, getting that kind of win is spectacular.)

We had a custom rule set at one point to, it was called 'Mana Burn'.

Basically you could lay your entire hand worth of mana on the field, and keep drawing until you no longer had lands. (lands basically = auto placed)

Fun part about that was, the 1-shot kill with mana-burn.

7, damage spells where Dmg = X = Mana cost...

+60 lands, in the mana-burn setup. Almost gaurnteed win lol.

I'll have to look into scrolls though.

From the video, it almost looked like it shared some things in common with the Suras TCG that we were planning on the world-building forums...

There are more detailed videos on how to actually play Scrolls out there if you want to check them out.

The thing I like about it is that it includes a...game field. I dunno if that's the right term. But I like that it matters WHERE you put things and where you move them.

Not just in what sequence you play your cards and abilities.

There are more detailed videos on how to actually play Scrolls out there if you want to check them out.

The thing I like about it is that it includes a...game field. I dunno if that's the right term. But I like that it matters WHERE you put things and where you move them.

Not just in what sequence you play your cards and abilities.

Aye. Got a little bit of that from the video.

The Suras TCG had societies which you were protecting. with creatures in front of said societies. (in MTG terms, they were walls like 0/25s)

Getting past the cities, killed you the player. which was quite vulnerable. :wink:

It didn't quite have the same play-field mechanic, but in a move to separate it from MTG, we basically had cards move 'forward' to attack, and other cards move 'up' to defend. and where you 'placed' the defenders, determined whether you could 'block' with what city. :wink:

sucks that we never got that game going further. But it is interesting if any of that is similar to Scrolls. to see it 'living' in one form. :tongue:

If you were to play Scrolls which faction would you start with?

Edit: in MTG terms, what would your color be? 

Back in the day? B/U, W, G, R, or Rainbow,. now days? U, maybe B/U.

Yea, I was just giving you the 'colors' I generally went with in MTG. 

Blue = U = control decks.

Black = b = Decay  (probably)

Green = G = Energy (Big hard hitting creatures, Big Nukes.)

Red = R = Growth (lots of small weak creature, fast.)

W = White = Order. (possibly  never played many white decks in MTG.)

So yea, I'd probably go Order, or Decay.

Rock paper scissors really.

Against fast, hard hitting decks, I have to assume growth won't be very good.

Against slow heavy hitters, like energy? It'll be able to go toe to toe, and probably frustrate them to no end.

I hope Decay is a mix of damage and control or 'tricks' 'traps' and generally, using your opponents scrolls against them.

Yeah I dunno

The only thing I ever liked about black was cheap monster removal

I hated all the self discard and damage aspects

It feels counter productive to power myself up by hurting myself

If I'm going to try to power myself up I preferred using greens method of just slowly massing huge overwhelming beasties

Pretty straightforward ya know?

Actually my favorite green card is probably One Dozen Eyes

I didnt do those either xD

Comics? 

Action Figures?

YoYo's? :tongue:

anyways, TCGs are nothing more than 'board games', just more mobile, and generally have more strategy & customizability.

I enjoyed comics, and the only thing resembling action figures i ever had were those army men (and the paratroopers!) or lego people.

YoYo's suck. They get all tangled in my slinkeys :(

But where it is really at is K'nex!  I made many many weapons with them :D (one crossbow i made actually stuck a stick in my cousins arm from 20 feet!) 

bought it, have been playing it like a madman, am having more fun than I thought I would

if anyone wants to know anything about the game without purchasing it or searching through guides or whatever just ask

Archived