Hard Disk Drive: 
Built-in

Optical Drive (read only):
BD 6xCAV 
DVD 8xCAV

I/O and communication: 
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0)
AUX 
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output:
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

New controller with touchpad

Can interact with PS4 via phone/tablet

Can remote play with VIta

Some cloud gaming

Tons of first party games

Vague "coming out this year"

No backwards compatibility (but can RE-BUY the game via cloud gaming apparently)

I think a lot of the concepts they talk about sound good in theory, but in practice might get annoying VERY fast. I dont know about anyone else but I dont like the idea of people being able to watch me do whatever Im doing all the time. Also what good is it playing a game, when you can pass control over your game to someone else, only for them to do the hard bits for you, and then they pass it back? That sounds cool but I can imagine people being spammed... "will you do this level for me, will you do this level for me." Theres no incentive to get better at a game if you can just get someone else to do the hard bits for you. I really hope you can block that shizzle.

They talk about the console automatically downloading games similar to what you're playing, like you'll be playing a game and then literally find its already downloaded one similar... again I hope you can switch that off, otherwise you'll end up spending regular time deleting the crap games that Sony are trying to upsell... urgh

I do like the idea of them trying to create a social gaming network type thing, but hells teeth they had better moderate it well. 

Seems a bit 50/50 to me. Dont get me wrong though, I'll probably buy one the second I can afford it, if only to stay within the console war effort :D

EDIT - And they need to make the internet browser a hell of a lot better than the PS3 one! Adverts on Youtube make my console crash, and I know other people who experience the same thing. 

Also what good is it playing a game, when you can pass control over your game to someone else, only for them to do the hard bits for you, and then they pass it back? That sounds cool but I can imagine people being spammed... "will you do this level for me, will you do this level for me." Theres no incentive to get better at a game if you can just get someone else to do the hard bits for you. I really hope you can block that shizzle.

Haha, I remember doing this as a kid with my brother and friends. Fun times. And who really plays games to "get better" at them? Getting better at a game is usually just a side effect of playing a game for fun. You can also have fun watching somebody play. I used to love watching my brother play games as a kid and even now my sisters love watching me play Zelda (and not just because I swing my arms around like a maniac).

@ drekka, whats the difference between handing of the controller to someone else ot play a hard level and jumping on Youtube and watchign the walk through or buyign the game guide though.

game informer did their entire issue on the PS4 this month, i'll be back with more thoughts once i read that *nods*

• Community Administrator

Only thing I'm not caring much about, with either the X1, or Ps4, is that 'power wise' they... really aren't that impressive. Its a nice step up from ps3 to ps4, or X360 to X1... But nowhere near as big of a step up (IMO) as the Ps3 was to the ps2, or Ps2 was to the Ps1. Or even the 360 to the Xbox... And I really don't like the idea, of our tech hardware slowing down. <_>

I'll probably still get the Ps4 come this fall. (can you say... launch on black Friday?) unless its like... $800. (I'm guessing sub $500s)

But I have high hopes on Steam Launching a "Steam Box" Style console. ^_^

(There is one, but its not developed by steam at this point.. But I do hope, for one actually made by steam, and not a 3rd party)

Also what good is it playing a game, when you can pass control over your game to someone else, only for them to do the hard bits for you, and then they pass it back? That sounds cool but I can imagine people being spammed... "will you do this level for me, will you do this level for me." Theres no incentive to get better at a game if you can just get someone else to do the hard bits for you. I really hope you can block that shizzle.

Haha, I remember doing this as a kid with my brother and friends. Fun times. And who really plays games to "get better" at them? Getting better at a game is usually just a side effect of playing a game for fun. You can also have fun watching somebody play. I used to love watching my brother play games as a kid and even now my sisters love watching me play Zelda (and not just because I swing my arms around like a maniac).

@ drekka, whats the difference between handing of the controller to someone else ot play a hard level and jumping on Youtube and watchign the walk through or buyign the game guide though.

game informer did their entire issue on the PS4 this month, i'll be back with more thoughts once i read that *nods*

Tut tut tut. I cant believe you two are from the same generation of gamers as me! :D

Nothing wrong with looking on Youtube. But IMO that is the last resort after you think you checked every nook and cranny. I dont think Ive ever passed the controller to someone else for help. 

Tut tut tut. I cant believe you two are from the same generation of gamers as me! :D

Nothing wrong with looking on Youtube. But IMO that is the last resort after you think you checked every nook and cranny. I dont think Ive ever passed the controller to someone else for help. 

Probably because red, silver, and I are all from the generation that used to play games like Mario growing up,  not call of duty. :tongue:

Probably because red, silver, and I are all from the generation that used to play games like Mario growing up,  not call of duty. :tongue:

And the funny thing is, I did as well, I played Mario on the NES, SNES and 64. Im 28 and Ive been a gamer since I was 5, thats why I said we are the same generation........................................................

And the funny thing is, I did as well, I played Mario on the NES, SNES and 64. Im 28 and Ive been a gamer since I was 5, thats why I said we are the same generation........................................................

And you've never had to fight over playing Mario, taking turns? You missed out! :wink:

And you've never had to fight over playing Mario, taking turns? You missed out! :wink:

That was the best part! other than, you know, kicking your cousins' rears ;)

Well yea, but that's all related to it!

Well yea, but that's all related to it!

Yea fighting over the joypad was all part of the fun. "I just got to the end boss! I dont care that I died, Im playing till I kick that boss's ass!"

Also, if I had to fight you lot for a joypad I'd be the victor no question.

Hahahaha

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

So. one possibly interesting thing to note here, both consoles use x86 Architecture, which on the PC front, should mean no excuse for shitty ports. (Yay!) which, goes along with my theory that both Sony & Microsoft, are going to shoot themselves in their own collective foots this generation, and basically hand the reigns over to Steam. (and possibly Linux.) :wink:

and If I "called it" in 5 years. Remember, It was I, who prophesied it! :tongue:

@ Drekka - i'm not sayign i use them, unless i'm uber stuck and just cant figure it out (except for Mortal Combat XD) i'm just saying theres no difference between what they're implementing and what gammers have always done.  PS4 is just bypassing the middle man.

personally, the option that the nex Xbox has, the interfacing that allows the 2nd window while gamming, i think woudl be awesome.  insteadof getting up to the PC to find out how to solve the puzzle in Darksiders, i just pause the game and look it up on my PS4 then play right along with it.

as for watching people play, i love to preview games on Youtube by watching the walk throughs on a game i see in gamestop but dont want to shell out $30 for.

o.o

fighting over the controller.  psh, newbs.  i just bring my own

PRODPIC-1755.jpg

:tongue:

edit - btw, that controller was Rad for playing Galaga with.  activate the turbo button for the A button and Rapid Fire FTW!!  *cackles*

• 3 weeks later...

okay, so i just finished watching the 2 hr E3 2013 press conference.

i had reservatiosn abotu this console, but that its not a requirement to connect online to play and the game ownership aspect; plus the increase of connectivity between the console and Vita (which i'm plannign on getting between Liberation and Black Gate); my reservations are gone.

really, dont even need to watch the xbox one press conference to make my decision on which console we'll be getting out of the two.

Archived