DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Black Tower (Full Spoilers)

MasterAblar

The Reds entire reason for existing is gone Charred, they must find a new purpose and this fits. Further Pevara was not the only Red to work with male channelers at TG. Would be an interesting question for Brandon.

Well I dont think Toveine would be much help for Pevara since she would tell the Red Ajah to create a new bore, and if I remember right Pevara was the only Red shown to be bonded and not turned.  I dont want Sanderson to tell me what happened in interviews I want him to put it in the book.

Keep in mind that the other Red Ajah Aes Sedai who were open to this idea have been all turned.  If your friends and fellow ajah members were brainwashed by Asha'man and turned to the dark side would you be willing to share the warders bond with the Asha'man?  The good Asha'man failed to help your ajah members when they needed it most.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She still has some significant influence though, but even more, she has common sense on her side. The only thing for certain is that the Reds have to find a new purpose now that Gentling is unnecessary and reversible. The ajah will wither and die without an important purpose, and this provides them with an easy out.

And not possible with the BT around.

She still has some significant influence though, but even more, she has common sense on her side. The only thing for certain is that the Reds have to find a new purpose now that Gentling is unnecessary and reversible. The ajah will wither and die without an important purpose, and this provides them with an easy out.

Ok little confused here. Why would anyone try to do so unless it was a criminal of either sex at this point? It was a very really necessity for thousands of years but that all changed with WH.

Ok little confused here. Why would anyone try to do so unless it was a criminal of either sex at this point? It was a very really necessity for thousands of years but that all changed with WH.

Exactly... the Red Ajah no longer has any reason to do this. Thus, their entire existence is no longer necessary without a new purpose-- this was all to illustrate that  although only one of the Reds converted to a new purpose survived the Turnings, the other Reds have to at least listen to her... either they fold up the Ajah, switch to a meaningless purpose and shrivel and die as an Ajah, or they embrace the purpose of bridging the Towers, which brings the topic back around to the thread's purpose-- the future of the BT. If the Reds continue their shift, then the WT and the BT stand a good chance at a real strong alliance. 

I could see a hitch in that alliance though with Logain, though his change of heart at the end makes me think he could be convinced if presented with enough evidence and persuasion regarding the extreme benefits to humanity.

Immaterial,it was not possible when the BT reached a certain size in nos whether the taint was gone or not as Elaida found to her misfortune.Any attack on a hundreds strong BT would have decimated the AS.

Immaterial,it was not possible when the BT reached a certain size in nos whether the taint was gone or not as Elaida found to her misfortune.Any attack on a hundreds strong BT would have decimated the AS.

If the taint had not been cleansed, and the last battle was won, then then entire White Tower would have had no option but to deal with the Black Tower, forcibly if necessary. It might have destroyed them, but they would have had help from every single army in the world: anything would have been better than another breaking of the world. I'm not a great fan of the White Tower, but I don't doubt that any Aes Sedai would have been willing to die, willing to destroy the tower itself, to prevent that.

Which brings us round to the Red Ajah rather nicely. As we've seen (from Romanda's perspective, I think, in Knife of Dreams), it took decades for the world to be convinced that male channelers would inevitably die insane - and reversing that won't happen overnight. No-one is going to be able to completely trust the Black Tower until it becomes clear to everyone who isn't Asha'man that saidin is completely clean, and that male channelers aren't any more of a threat than female channelers. Added to that, there are plenty of Asha'man who are taint-affected and who may yet require some, ahem, 'intervention' at some point. It would be absolutely unrealistic of the Reds to disband themselves for another 30 years at least, even without finding another purpose. Pevara will have all the time she needs to change their minds :)

Immaterial,
What's immaterial is your statement. There is no reason for a showdown between the two. Regardless Easy Badger has the right of it above.

Further reason why a showdown is not necessary: Nynaeve discovered how to heal the madness. After teaching the technique, all it would take is a quick delve to see no madness. Check the same guy a decade later, and you have proof that the taint is gone, not just the word of a powerful Amyrlin who already believes it. There is no reason to think that the WT's doubts over the taint would last more than a decade, even if some of the stereotypes carried forth a while longer.

There are still Aes Sedai who believe the taint isn't gone, such as Lyrelle (and she's a blue!), but eventually that will fade away. However until it does, there's no chance of the Asha'man moving their entire organisation to Tar Valon, not considering what that city represents to a male channeller. And Logain and Androl don't exactly have the best of opinions about the WT. I really can't see Logain leading the Asha'man to Tar Valon. Of course, after a certain amount of time, we can assume that the two Towers would be willing to coexist in the same place, due to individual Asha'man and Aes Sedai working together, and even the entire organisations at times. The logical next step would be to join together. But by the time they're ready to do that, the BT will already be entrenched, whether it's in Andor or elsewhere. They will have their own identity, and their own history. They won't suddenly pack their bags and move to Tar Valon. The only way I can see the Aes Sedai and Asha'man under one roof, is for them to build something new entirely. That wouldn't require them to give up their original locations, Tar Valon and wherever the BT will be, and they would still remain seperate organisations.

If the taint had not been cleansed, and the last battle was won, then then entire White Tower would have had no option but to deal with the Black Tower, forcibly if necessary. It might have destroyed them, but they would have had help from every single army in the world: anything would have been better than another breaking of the world. I'm not a great fan of the White Tower, but I don't doubt that any Aes Sedai would have been willing to die, willing to destroy the tower itself, to prevent that.

Which brings us round to the Red Ajah rather nicely. As we've seen (from Romanda's perspective, I think, in Knife of Dreams), it took decades for the world to be convinced that male channelers would inevitably die insane - and reversing that won't happen overnight. No-one is going to be able to completely trust the Black Tower until it becomes clear to everyone who isn't Asha'man that saidin is completely clean, and that male channelers aren't any more of a threat than female channelers. Added to that, there are plenty of Asha'man who are taint-affected and who may yet require some, ahem, 'intervention' at some point. It would be absolutely unrealistic of the Reds to disband themselves for another 30 years at least, even without finding another purpose. Pevara will have all the time she needs to change their minds :)

That intervention will not be done by the female channelers..it will be handled by the Ash'aman themselves.AS have no authority over the BT or Ash'aman.Doutful if the BT will look kindly on any such intervention by the WT on it's members.

If the taint would not have been cleared then it would have lead to another breaking.AS are not strong enough to take on the BT and win. 

That intervention will not be done by the female channelers..it will be handled by the Ash'aman themselves.AS have no authority over the BT or Ash'aman.Doutful if the BT will look kindly on any such intervention by the WT on it's members.

If the taint would not have been cleared then it would have lead to another breaking.AS are not strong enough to take on the BT and win.

We've already seen how a functioning BT deals with the taint, so yes, I suspect that you're right as far as Asha'man within the Black Tower are concerned. But Reds have more experience of finding and intervening in cases where a channeler has 'gone rogue' outside of the Black Tower. The Black Tower might not like it, of course, but the Reds would see a reason for existing - which was my point. In any case, the Reds are already looking for ways to reshape their role at the time that Egwene is reunifying the tower. I think they'll find something to do :)

As for the Aes Sedai alone not having the strength to take on the Black Tower, well, maybe and maybe not. That's a fight I'm very glad we never saw. The Black Tower is better at fighting, but has no angreal, and a limited capacity to form circles. Women are generally weaker in raw strength, but are able to channel more adeptly, which counteracts that - with some battle experience, the White Tower would be no pushover.

However, if we assume that every single female channeler in the entire world would be determined to stop a breaking, then my money isn't with the Asha'man. Damane included: the Seanchan put aside their differences with Aes Sedai for long enough to fight the last battle, they would almost certainly do so again to prevent a breaking.

Add to that the fact that non-channelers can take down channelers given enough numbers, time, determination and resourcefulness. An arrow or a crossbow bolt will serve as well as a shield of spirit. The rest of the world would not, and could not, stand aside. The Asha'man against the White Tower = too close to call. The Asha'man against the Rest of the World = bloody, brutal, but only one winner.

I'll buy that explanation if it is stated in the encyclopedia-- I think if that is the case, it is likely to be in there. If not... still plausible, but I still think it is more likely to end up being an extension of the WT, or related to non-AS female channelers.

Somewhat unrelated, but I think it would be interesting if some men didn't want to become Asha'man and tried to join the WT as male Aes Sedai. It would create some interesting problems, and though don't think it will happen (just a random muse), that is not explicitly shot down by Brandon saying that hte Asha'man will remain separate. 

Who would train them? Fish and Birds and all that.

I'll buy that explanation if it is stated in the encyclopedia-- I think if that is the case, it is likely to be in there. If not... still plausible, but I still think it is more likely to end up being an extension of the WT, or related to non-AS female channelers.

Somewhat unrelated, but I think it would be interesting if some men didn't want to become Asha'man and tried to join the WT as male Aes Sedai. It would create some interesting problems, and though don't think it will happen (just a random muse), that is not explicitly shot down by Brandon saying that hte Asha'man will remain separate. 

It could be that Aes Sedai like Pevara stay on at the BT to train new female Asha'man, and some Asha'man warders in the Tower stay on to teach new male Novices. Both Towers could become competing organizations of men and women, preventing any one organization from getting supreme power. You'd also have Wise Ones beginning to add men, and male Windfinders among the SF.

We've already seen how a functioning BT deals with the taint, so yes, I

suspect that you're right as far as Asha'man within the Black Tower are

concerned. But Reds have more experience of finding and intervening in

cases where a channeler has 'gone rogue' outside of the Black Tower. The

Black Tower might not like it, of course, but the Reds would see a

reason for existing - which was my point. In any case, the Reds are

already looking for ways to reshape their role at the time that Egwene

is reunifying the tower. I think they'll find something to do :)

I think the Red Ajah might find a purpose in being the liasion between the male and female channelers.  Seems quite a radical leap for them in some ways, but Pevara has shown her ability to adapt, and even Reds who hang onto the old mindset might prefer to be involved in the Black Tower rather than having no knowledge of it once they accept it as an inevitability.

We've already seen how a functioning BT deals with the taint, so yes, I

suspect that you're right as far as Asha'man within the Black Tower are

concerned. But Reds have more experience of finding and intervening in

cases where a channeler has 'gone rogue' outside of the Black Tower. The

Black Tower might not like it, of course, but the Reds would see a

reason for existing - which was my point. In any case, the Reds are

already looking for ways to reshape their role at the time that Egwene

is reunifying the tower. I think they'll find something to do :)

I think the Red Ajah might find a purpose in being the liasion between the male and female channelers.  Seems quite a radical leap for them in some ways, but Pevara has shown her ability to adapt, and even Reds who hang onto the old mindset might prefer to be involved in the Black Tower rather than having no knowledge of it once they accept it as an inevitability.

Lets not forget Raechin, a Red Sitter, asking Leanne for tips on how to win over men. I think there's a good chance that many Reds will see it as their duty to now increase the bonds between the White and Black Towers. And they'll likely grow closer to the Greens to learn how to do some of it. Might be an amusing story or two in there to read.

Some interesting pieces on the Black Tower/Asha'man

INTERVIEW: 2013

Twitter 2013 (WoT) (Verbatim)

KAMARILE SEDAI (23 JANUARY 2013)
Brandon, does the Oath Rod continue to be used in the Fourth Age? If so, for what purpose?

BRANDON SANDERSON (23 JANUARY 2013)

So far as I know, yes. And for the same purpose.

RAJ IYER

Do other groups start using the Rod too?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Do you think the Aes Sedai are likely to let others manhandle one of their ter'angreal?

KAMARILE SEDAI

Did men start to use the Oath Rod too, or did it continue to be only women?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No men. Neither group would like that. The Asha'man are NOT male Aes Sedai. RJ was clear about this in the notes.

KEITH MARTIN

Will the White and Black Towers reunite to form one Aes Sedai again?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RJ was clear to me that the Asha'man were not Aes Sedai, and were not going to become them.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That said, a united male/female Aes Sedai will come again someday.

FOOTNOTE
Brandon is probably not referring to the 4th Age in his last tweet; more likely he's talking about the next turning of the Wheel.

Count me in favour of a Grey Tower. 

Both Towers need to shed their skins. Both institutions have been tainted, literally and figuratively. 

While it is obvious that neither institution will be dissolved or combined - at least not any time soon in the 4th Age - I would like to think a third party would eventually arise. 

It is already in the making with Pevara and Androl - possibly even Teslyn, as she seems to find the WT an uncomfortable place now, and Reds have always been interested in male channelers - and the like. 

However, with the Black Tower the only male institute, it will be very hard for any males to establish outside of the BT in any real capacity. Still, I would like to see both parties put away their titles as Aes Sedai and Asha'man and become something different. The Asha'Sedai, I call it. 

Brandon, does the Oath Rod continue to be used in the Fourth Age? If so, for what purpose?

RAJ IYER

BRANDON SANDERSON

Do you think the Aes Sedai are likely to let others manhandle one of their ter'angreal?

KAMARILE SEDAI

BRANDON SANDERSON

No men. Neither group would like that. The Asha'man are NOT male Aes Sedai. RJ was clear about this in the notes.

KEITH MARTIN

BRANDON SANDERSON

RJ was clear to me that the Asha'man were not Aes Sedai, and were not going to become them.

BRANDON SANDERSON

FOOTNOTE
Brandon is probably not referring to the 4th Age in his last tweet; more likely he's talking about the next turning of the Wheel.

Both Towers need to shed their skins. Both institutions have been tainted, literally and figuratively. 

While it is obvious that neither institution will be dissolved or combined - at least not any time soon in the 4th Age - I would like to think a third party would eventually arise. 

It is already in the making with Pevara and Androl - possibly even Teslyn, as she seems to find the WT an uncomfortable place now, and Reds have always been interested in male channelers - and the like. 

However, with the Black Tower the only male institute, it will be very hard for any males to establish outside of the BT in any real capacity. Still, I would like to see both parties put away their titles as Aes Sedai and Asha'man and become something different. The Asha'Sedai, I call it. 

But I suspect integrated male-fmeale organizations may sprout faster among the WO and the WF. They have fewer issues to deal with, here.

It could be that Aes Sedai like Pevara stay on at the BT to train new female Asha'man, and some Asha'man warders in the Tower stay on to teach new male Novices. Both Towers could become competing organizations of men and women, preventing any one organization from getting supreme power. You'd also have Wise Ones beginning to add men, and male Windfinders among the SF.

I can't really see either the WT or the BT allowing any of it's members to start training channellers who will be apart of the other organisation. And seeing as Brandon said that no men will start using the oath rod, it pretty much rules out men joining the WT. However I agree, that male channellers will show up  amongst the Sea Folk and Aiel, although they'll need the Asha'man to train the first ones. So Logain could probably strike a nice deal there.

RAJ IYER

BRANDON SANDERSON

KAMARILE SEDAI

BRANDON SANDERSON

KEITH MARTIN

BRANDON SANDERSON

BRANDON SANDERSON

FOOTNOTE

The thing is, for a "Grey Tower" to rise up, you would need to have a huge amount of Asha'man and Aes Sedai desert their respective towers. Otherwise, if they're too few, you can be certain that Logain or Cadsuane (or whoever comes after them) will squash that immediately.

So I really think that a Grey Tower would have to come through cooperation between the Asha'man and Aes Sedai. They wouldn't unite entirely, but they would be two, distinct, parts of a whole. Like this :aessedai: .

I can't really see either the WT or the BT allowing any of it's members to start training channellers who will be apart of the other organisation.

What choice would they have? They're not possibly idiotic enough to start something that could lead to the two Towers warring.

And seeing as Brandon said that no men will start using the oath rod, it pretty much rules out men joining the WT. However I agree, that male channellers will show up  amongst the Sea Folk and Aiel, although they'll need the Asha'man to train the first ones. So Logain could probably strike a nice deal there.

I'm very mistrustful of Brandon's answer on the OR. For one thing, there's a major issue. If an Aes Sedai asks her Asha'man warder to use the OP to kill someone she dislikes, what does the Tower do? Sure, it could call for both the AS and the AM to be executed, but that's problematic with respect to jurisdiction. And the point of the Oaths is totally defeated if people worry that the Aes Sedai will simply outsource (!!!) their killing to their Asha'man Warders.

Plus, I don't really see the Aes Sedai electing an Amyrlin who'll die or retire soon. Add to that, Brandon's point about Aes Sedai disliking others using their ter'angreal ignores events in the books. They gave up the Bowl, they temporarily loaned Dream ter'angreal to Windfinders, and later gave those away. Egwene even convinced them that its pointless to try to keep all ter'angreal by bringing up the point of Asha'man who may have the Talent to make them. Brandon clearly forgot that. 

I'd like him to clarify this, actually.

The AS can order their ordinary warders to kill ppl even now,what changes with AM warders?. The OP or the sword both kill the same.

Of course they don't. You can kill with the OP and not leave a trace. You can kill from a great distance. A sword thrust can be parried, but an OP weave cannot be, by a normal person.

I'm very mistrustful of Brandon's answer on the OR. For one thing, there's a major issue. If an Aes Sedai asks her Asha'man warder to use the OP to kill someone she dislikes, what does the Tower do? Sure, it could call for both the AS and the AM to be executed, but that's problematic with respect to jurisdiction. And the point of the Oaths is totally defeated if people worry that the Aes Sedai will simply outsource (!!!) their killing to their Asha'man Warders.

Plus, I don't really see the Aes Sedai electing an Amyrlin who'll die or retire soon. Add to that, Brandon's point about Aes Sedai disliking others using their ter'angreal ignores events in the books. They gave up the Bowl, they temporarily loaned Dream ter'angreal to Windfinders, and later gave those away. Egwene even convinced them that its pointless to try to keep all ter'angreal by bringing up the point of Asha'man who may have the Talent to make them. Brandon clearly forgot that. 

Brandon said "their" ter'angreal. The Oath Rod is theirs. Maybe if someone recovered Thevara's or created one, they'd use it. The Bowl blongs to the Sea Folk, because of a deal by sisters who were never even properly raised. If not for Egwene, the rest of the Tower might have tried to claim it. Egwene didn't say all items of the power were for everyone to share, she decided not to lay claim to the Bowl, Rings in Rhuiedean, new ones created by other groups. Except for some dream ter'angreal Elayne created, she didn'tgive anyone access to the Towers belongings.

Brandon said "their" ter'angreal. The Oath Rod is theirs. Maybe if someone recovered Thevara's or created one, they'd use it. The Bowl blongs to the Sea Folk, because of a deal by sisters who were never even properly raised. If not for Egwene, the rest of the Tower might have tried to claim it. Egwene didn't say all items of the power were for everyone to share, she decided not to lay claim to the Bowl, Rings in Rhuiedean, new ones created by other groups. Except for some dream ter'angreal Elayne created, she didn'tgive anyone access to the Towers belongings.

That's the point. When the Tower felt it necessary, it had no problems parting with ter'angreal. And they're resigned to other groups using their own ter'angreal. Why would the Tower have a problem with Asha'man borrowing the Rod now and then to ensure their own channelers cannot go rogue? That's a revalidation of the Tower's view, if anything. They should gladly lend it out. They've lent out stuff for less palatable purposes before.

Well, the oath is 'I will not use the One Power as a weapon' except blah blah blah, not Saidar. The interpretations of the oaths seem pretty specific to the teaching of the WT with that one, especially the definition of weapon. But the most pertinent fact is that they are generally not mass murdering psychopaths, and with the DO gone there will be less of an inclination towards that.

Archived