DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RP Information and Descriptions (ATTN: Kathleen and all RP Awesome People)

Silver Neccho

Framework Wiki - In Progress

I saw the sticky on this board called "Information to help with Rps" and I had an idea that I am hoping others in group might like.

There is a ton of information scattered in the books about Tar Valon and the White Tower itself. Since I have just recently started RPing here on DM, I was a little flustered when I started describing my journey into the city. What I propose is creating an encyclopedia that provides information on the locations in the city.

For example:

TGH Chapter 39

• Horses belonging to novices are kept in the South Stables.

• The southern gate to the White Tower grounds is Tarlomen's Gate.

New Spring, Chapter 4

• The western entrance to the White Tower is the Sunset Gate.

TOR Website Q&A

• The roof of the White Tower is flat with a waist-high railing. It once held a garden but now is only used for observation.

Does anyone see the benifit of my idea? It would set up a framework for destinations and descriptions while RPing. It would not affect your RP; the descriptions of places around you offer a familiar medium between all RPs in general. Instead of having to create a certain garden in your mind, unless you choose to actually create it, you might know exactly where to find one. Adding to the framework would be as easy as gaining permission.

"<person of authority>, I request permission to create a water garden in direct view from the Sunset Gate."

That way if during an RP you were planning on putting a duck pond in the middle of a stable, (sounds kinda fun), you would be able to check the location you intend first. I for one would love it if my character had permission to create a crystal sculpture of a famous hero of the horn near the Tarlomen's Gate and it was accepted into the White Tower's courtyard framework for others outside of my RP.

As I write this I do see an obstacle that this would present. If we needed to make a permission RP everytime one of us wanted to alter the grounds, it would be annoying. So I have a fix for this. Turn the permission RP into a direct appeal to the Seat in OOC. This would mean less clutter in RPs and would ensure that only desirable modifications were made. And then someone or myself if allowed would make a wiki entry documenting this change.

I may be intruding so early in my own tenure here, but I believe that I can contribute OOC as well as IC. I personally would love being able to read a description of say my novice chamber while creating my RP. It would allow me to play around with my setting to the maximum. I imagine being able to remember that I left a certain object hidden under my bed while making sure that I have such a hiding place to begin with.

This could help in many more ways than I can even think of. Imagine the AmS being able to alter her study, document it, thereby allowing all outside entities a verbose description if they should happen to RP in the AmS's study. With rules already in place, in perfection, ones character would only know the layout of a place once it is seen and then only things that would be visible to the naked eye. Extend this to only things visible from a respectable place. My character would not know what is behind the AmS's desk unless I was given permission to stand behind it or I was disrespectful and allowed myself to place my vision behind it.

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about my idea? I personally find that I have much time to spend on DM and I would gladly do my best to search for any and all descriptors for this project. With a wiki I could then document what I know is cannon. Anything that is not found in cannon can be voted and agreed upon.

Please, just give it a thought. If you like my idea but are not certain if it will work well, give me a little time to put my idea into a test run. I will compile enough information for one complete area and organize it for easy reading. Then I would agree to do a practise RP with someone to hopefully show the benifits of what I have done.

All, and I mean everybody please comment and tell me what you like and what you don't. I will start compiling information even now, whether or not anyone else will adopt it I may very well use it for myself.

Graciously,

Silver

:wub:

Edited by Silver Neccho

I love the idea! I would use this thing all the time. I think to start with, it would be best to start with the research into what already exists and where.

Once we have that we can look into whether altering it would be the best option and figuring out how to do it best.

If you would like to start researching things around the White Tower and eventually Tar Valom (or how ever you wish to do it) that would be a wonderful start.

Thanks for sharing the great idea and thanks even more for volunteering to do the hard part :).

Please sight sources for the info you gather.

I have created a wiki, temporary unless approved as permanent to begin consolidating information for the PSW framework. If you, Kathleen or Rasheta have any information on the top of your head when you read this to add, please send it to me in a PM. Or you can join the new wiki and I will set permissions for you both so you can create pages at your leisure. I may go in an edit if I find any images that might be conducive.

*eek* I get to RP and build a RP framework! Thanks for the opportunity to help! *eek*

http://portalstoneworldframework.wikia.com

Edited by Silver Neccho

Oooooh la la!!!! It looks SHINEY! :D

This is a fantastic idea Silver! I don't think it would place restrictions on RPing at all, it would be great if we had an organized layout so everyone knows where everything is. Much less confusion, as you said. I had to look back to a book the other day when I was writing an RP.

Speaking of, I'm doing a reread of WoT right now, so if I stumble across any detail that hasn't been added, can I PM you with it? :)

Love your enthusiasm and ideas!!

Oooooh la la!!!! It looks SHINEY! :D

This is a fantastic idea Silver! I don't think it would place restrictions on RPing at all, it would be great if we had an organized layout so everyone knows where everything is. Much less confusion, as you said. I had to look back to a book the other day when I was writing an RP.

Speaking of, I'm doing a reread of WoT right now, so if I stumble across any detail that hasn't been added, can I PM you with it? :)

Love your enthusiasm and ideas!!

I would be very grateful if you PM'd me with any information. More or less right now, any quotes that put light on the Tower description wise. And anything describing anything inside or outside of the WT. I am not going to do any Tar Valon stuff right now but if you would like to make notes on the city as well, I couldn't very well yell at you for it, lol. I am grateful that I can speed read, skimming is the best!

• 1 year later...

Alright, I have added some more to the wiki. I would love it if anyone would give input on the project. Sign up, make an edit, make a page, help with references. But make sure you read the opening page as that really gives you an idea of what is being attempted.

Does anyone have any skill at drawing or painting? The wiki could really use some artwork!

PSW RP Framework

Latest addition

Novice Quarters

Edited by Silver Neccho

Can't believe I've only come across this now. (Getting too old for this crap).

I think it is a wonderful thing that you're doing here. The only thing I would point out, that could have an impact on the final quality of this product, is that in order for this to work, you will need a team. At least an assistant to help you out and encourage you when you don't feel like updating that wiki.

Apart from that, I think this is a terrific idea. From my early days of RPing, I've always found I've had to improvise in my writing, in order to compensate for the lack of information provided. If this is done right, it will become much easier to think of stuff to write instead of being stuck in spinning out the same stuff over and over again. It would also develop another type of style which I'm actually much more in favour of, and much more in-sinc with the actual writing style of the Wheel of Time books. 

Keep it up, and I believe I've already volunteered Ellisha to be testing this system out with your new novice.

Also, one last thing. Don't worry if you're overstepping yourself, cause such thoughts are just silly. New ideas - especially good new ideas - are highly welcome no matter how long you've been here.

Oh, and that reminds me. If you want people to do some sketches for you, I think the person that might help you would be the Art leader in the Tinker's social group. Perhaps she could gather some people who are interested and help you out there. This would, I imagine, be an interesting project for them.

You are proving to be an awesome individual. Thank you for your encouragement!

Since you are going to help me test the PSW Framework out, would you like to be my assistant, at least for the time being? Obviously, if and when the Framework is completely operational, the administration will have final say on the operations of the wiki.

Thanks for the tip on the artwork. I will reach out to the Art leader. Is there anyone else in the other social groups that you can think of that would be helpful with the wiki?

It just so happens I'm the Writer's lead for the Tinkers. The Tinkers are a special lot, meaning instead of just socializing, we all have a particular interest. I'd be happy to be your assistant for the time being, until we can find a more suitable replacement, I hope. 

I haven't really told people from my wagon to go to the Roleplaying forums, because well... it really isn't for everyone. I personally however, can provide you some advice on what seems to work, and what doesn't work. I have a bit of experience on the more technical side of English literature, more specifically: Forms, contents, motifs, structure, flow, etc. etc.

I hope that helps.

Crap, that reminds me. I think Kath said something about the Arts leader being MIA or something a while back. This still the case, Mrs Big Cheese? If so, then you won't find much help from her as an individual. But we could still probably gather the artists themselves, if I or you post what you wanted of them.