DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The End of Illusion

mwayneknight

So I know prophesies are talked about wildley here, and had a thought of my own on this, I wanted to post this without reading anyones elses posts on it to not be biased.

I posted a theory on here about the one power either being destrtoyed or non usable at the end of the books, cause that seems to be the main cause of all the problems. Now the Amayar have that prophecy about the end of illusion.. Could this possibly be that the end of illusion is actually the end of the wheel?

I might say this wrong so I do apologize, but we know that everything keeps happening through ishameal, they keep battling and have been since the begining of time.. What if that has all been illusion? And now that the end of illusion is here we wont get repeats anymore? They call this the last battle and I know Robert Jordan has said that this is no different then any other time, but i know he was good an mincing words and pushing us away from theories even though we were on the right track.

So to sum up, the end of illusion really is the end, and when the last battle is finished it will all be different and an actual true begining.

What ya all think?

As posted in your other thread...

What if the way that Rand breaks the world this time is neccesarly a true breaking, but finds a way to not only seal the bore fully and then destroy the one power itself.

Brandon has already ruled that out.

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to stick pretty close to things Mr. Jordan has said or implied regarding this. Things he has said have implied strongly that it is not going to be like Tolkien; though the Wheel will eventually turn to a point where the One Power is forgotten and the land becomes like our world, that is NOT the Fourth Age.

That rules out both the OP being gone after TG and the wheel stopping.

As an aside in relation to RJ this statement that he usually gave AS answers has turned into some sort of urban myth. The sentiment is entirely overblown, in fact he almost always answered straight out or gave RAFOs.

I dont know, i understand that and makes sense, i just dont understand what the end of illusion is all about then, im probably reading way into it, it just seems like its one of those tihngs thta didnt even have to be in the book at all if it is pointless. It was such a big deal for them and they all killed themselves for it, so to be there has to be sometihng about it. Unless i totally missed something about that prophecy.

Jordan was pretty annoyed that fans weren't moved by that mass suicide and talking about it. Perhaps there is something to it beyond just world building, though I feel like Jordan didn't do enough foreshadowing. There are similar beliefs and references among some of the Aiel, at least in referring to dying as waking from the dream. It's been awhile, but I think there may have been more explicit references to dreams and illusions by the siswai'aman. I don't know if this is because the Aiel and the Amayar may have similar origins (way of the leaf and water way).

I am curious as to what it all means. I do NOT think the Wheel will break or that this refers to the One Power disappearing. But it is curious. Does it have more meaning? Is that part of why Jordan was annoyed at fans ignoring it? Even if it's just worldbuilding and some element of a more specific religiousness among the people, I wouldn't call it useless. It's pretty neat, actually.

A bit off topic, i never understood why he was annoyed about us not caring. It was an island nation mentioned in passing and only really told anything about it from the most annoying single group of people in the series (the sea folk)

Its like the most annoying person in your life telling you that their great aunt died... sure its kinda sad but who is really going to care more than that.

As to the end of the Illusion i doubt it. Channeling will be lost, but not because Rand somehow breaks the one power i wouldnt think

I thought the supposed OMFG moment RJ wanted was sad, and a good way to illustrate that the Sea Folk hierarchy aren't all selfish, boorish bullies by showing their compassion for thier pacifistic symbiotic culture, but...

1. I ended just being mad at the Amayar poisoning their kids ... injecting my modern sensibilities, but there you have it.

2. I wondered if rand's chapters would just consist of the 10,000s of AMayar women listed alphabetically, since it was just another undeserved disaster to lay at the he Dragon Reborn's feet.

There are several reference throughout the series that hint at Randland being something other than the 'prime material plane'. The Amayar's 'illusion', Aiel's "We all must awake from the dream," sayings. Even Verin's comment of, "it's not the fight he thinks it is."

It is possible that the real battle for the world will happen in another plane of existence, or ALL planes possibly.

Then we see all the references to this being the final battle, last battle, finally someone will win, and in Veins of Gold, yet another reference, if you read between the lines to this truly being THE last battle.

What happens after that, has also been predetermined by other passages in later books. The TP/OP will still exist, but perhaps time will no longer be cyclical.

Archived