DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine's Eelfinn requests - ALL SPOILERS ALLOWED

Neophyte

On a side note, If Moiraine and Nyn go with Rand to face the DO, then I don't see how anyone can argue they are NOT Heroes of the Horn. They are facing the freakin DARK ONE with the Dragon in the Last Battle!

Why would you have to be a Hero of the Horn to face the Dark One with intelligence, skill, bravery, and determination?

I truly don't get this impulse to declare anyone who is brave a Hero of the Horn.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About Lanfear? How could she possibly have? Her possible sources are libraries in Tear and Cairhien and the terangreal in Rhuidean. I know Aes Sedai aren't very popular in Tear but I doubt they'd deny access to one for their royal library. Cairhienin should simply consider themselves lucky that White Tower don't commandeer their entire library. It's not beyond them. And Rhuidean, well there is not much history to go through there. I just don't see Moiraine learning much about Lanfear specifically.

Well she knew about Asmo. All along she knew by her letter to Rand. She had so many secrets who can really say. Even Perrin was always suprised by her knowlege at times about things that others had said was lost.

She is very smart, and she is very good at reading people. She figures out what happens around her. It's not the same though, any information about Lanfear is buried in history. She has to find a source and learn, and it's clear there is not much to find.

Asmodean was actually ridiculously easy for her to discover - she was eavesdropping with the ki'sain.

On a side note, If Moiraine and Nyn go with Rand to face the DO, then I don't see how anyone can argue they are NOT Heroes of the Horn. They are facing the freakin DARK ONE with the Dragon in the Last Battle!

Why would you have to be a Hero of the Horn to face the Dark One with intelligence, skill, bravery, and determination?

I truly don't get this impulse to declare anyone who is brave a Hero of the Horn.

...because Moiraine is not just anyone.

Actually, I think that she is "just anyone" in the sense of not being a Hero of the Horn. Keep in mind, that doesn't mean she isn't heroic, but I think it would be silly if every character who is important to the struggle against the Shadow turns out to be a soul bound to the Pattern. One of the reasons that Moiraine is so heroic, in my opinion, is that she isn't an overpowered Soldier of Destiny™ (cue thunder). People like Moiraine, Lan, and even, I suspect, Mat and Perrin and the rest of the Two Rivers folks, are more heroic because they aren't Heroes.

Being a Hero of the Horn is not about who is "qualified." There isn't a bravery threshold over which, once you cross, you have the "right" to become a Hero. I don't even think that having your soul bound to the Pattern is necessarily a reward! Spun out to fight the same battles over and over - I doubt it is very much fun most of the time. Jordan confirmed that there is an afterlife for all the ordinary souls of the Wheel, and I suspect that most of those who fight valiantly against the Shadow would rather (and deserve to!) go to their reward than get fed back into another cycle.

Moiraine is heroic. That doesn't necessarily mean that she can, should, or would want to be bound to the Pattern like the Heroes of the Horn.

Well request from Elfinn must be some kind of knowledge because. angreal was only item he requested and there was no stitch on her when they took her out of tower.

mat thinks that memory he got was from person who had connection whit tower or doorways. So it mean that lanfear memory's probably are all so in elfinn disposal. Moiraine traveled whit mat long enough to relise that im quite sure. Even if Moraine didn't know that lanfear was one who did open bore im quite sure he request would still be lanfear knowlage just to get AOL female AS powers. Fact that nyn and elyane had got some knowlage from spider she dont know becose she was aredy captured by Finns by then.

so

1-angreal

2-Lanfear knowlage

3-Mordin knowlage ??? he had connection whit tower aswell if he came after lanfear but then again moridin came after Moiraine was aredy made hes request so most likely no.??

It wouldn't make any sense to me, and be a waste of a request, to have the knowledge of someone who drilled the bore. Look at it like this, anyone can knock a house down in no time flat. Can you rebuild it though? That is where the skill comes in. That is the knowledge you need. It's a one time shot, where drilling it is trial and error

Actually, I think that she is "just anyone" in the sense of not being a Hero of the Horn. Keep in mind, that doesn't mean she isn't heroic, but I think it would be silly if every character who is important to the struggle against the Shadow turns out to be a soul bound to the Pattern. One of the reasons that Moiraine is so heroic, in my opinion, is that she isn't an overpowered Soldier of Destiny™ (cue thunder). People like Moiraine, Lan, and even, I suspect, Mat and Perrin and the rest of the Two Rivers folks, are more heroic because they aren't Heroes.

Being a Hero of the Horn is not about who is "qualified." There isn't a bravery threshold over which, once you cross, you have the "right" to become a Hero. I don't even think that having your soul bound to the Pattern is necessarily a reward! Spun out to fight the same battles over and over - I doubt it is very much fun most of the time. Jordan confirmed that there is an afterlife for all the ordinary souls of the Wheel, and I suspect that most of those who fight valiantly against the Shadow would rather (and deserve to!) go to their reward than get fed back into another cycle.

Moiraine is heroic. That doesn't necessarily mean that she can, should, or would want to be bound to the Pattern like the Heroes of the Horn.

I'm sure we've both participated in some form of this argument many, many times in the past. No point in rehashing the same arguments and counter arguments over again.

I disagree with you concerning Moiraine. Her actions played a unique action within the Pattern, she is a shaper of the Pattern, and she may yet have an even more important role.

I believe that there is a heavier weight of HotH active at this time in the WoT than in most others.

I'm sure we've both participated in some form of this argument many, many times in the past. No point in rehashing the same arguments and counter arguments over again.

I disagree with you concerning Moiraine. Her actions played a unique action within the Pattern, she is a shaper of the Pattern, and she may yet have an even more important role.

I believe that there is a heavier weight of HotH active at this time in the WoT than in most others.

Agreed. To disagree, that is. :wink:

Archived