DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Harmony Through Service : Wheel of Time Discussion

Christine

Do the Aes Sedai in the books uphold this concept?

I think they do, for the most part. Some Ajahs better than others.

Have they always upheld this idea of being a Servant of all?

Mostly, fairly consistently.

If they are not servants of all, then what could they do differently, to be these servants?

As some one else said, the Reds need lessons in humility.

Are some Ajahs more likely to be servants than others?

I have always felt the Blues were most likely, because Blues love causes, and helping others. The Reds are the least likely, the Browns serve books, the Greens are warriors, the White serve through Logic, the Yellow serve by healing others...not sure about the Greys.

My take on this:

The goal of the Aes Sedai has always been to help the people around them. However, I think that they have all started to falter somewhat.

Blue: Trying to find justice, seeking the Dragon reborn, they thought that they could help everyone by bringing him under the WT, not knowing that that would hurt everyone else.

White: Trying to solve problems that appear using cold logic, sometimes forget to factor in emotion, and are often too focused on theoretical ideas.

Red: Kind of obvious, they don't like men at all pretty much and tried to bring down the DR even though they thought they would help the world by gentling men.

Yellow: Thought they would help the world by healing and so on, but they are getting out less and less and we can see more of them being jealous of people such as Nynaeve and actually being very selfish about their things.

Brown: Thought they could preserve knowledge that would help, however, almost no one gets access to that knowledge anyways.

Gray: Try to mediate and have treaties, are now, in DR negotiations, tilting them towards WT favor.

Green: Thought to fight and save lives by helping in the effort, but however, recently have been very forward in doing things, not as restrictive in going into battle and risking themselves, also bold moves like Alanna bonding Rand.

Rand,

I think these are very good takes on the weaknesses of the AS and their Ajah's. I'm glad this topic was started. It's very interesting.

My take on this:

The goal of the Aes Sedai has always been to help the people around them. However, I think that they have all started to falter somewhat.

Blue: Trying to find justice, seeking the Dragon reborn, they thought that they could help everyone by bringing him under the WT, not knowing that that would hurt everyone else.

White: Trying to solve problems that appear using cold logic, sometimes forget to factor in emotion, and are often too focused on theoretical ideas.

Red: Kind of obvious, they don't like men at all pretty much and tried to bring down the DR even though they thought they would help the world by gentling men.

Yellow: Thought they would help the world by healing and so on, but they are getting out less and less and we can see more of them being jealous of people such as Nynaeve and actually being very selfish about their things.

Brown: Thought they could preserve knowledge that would help, however, almost no one gets access to that knowledge anyways.

Gray: Try to mediate and have treaties, are now, in DR negotiations, tilting them towards WT favor.

Green: Thought to fight and save lives by helping in the effort, but however, recently have been very forward in doing things, not as restrictive in going into battle and risking themselves, also bold moves like Alanna bonding Rand.

Those are all good points, Rand. As humans, we tend to stray away from our ideals for something else, whether it be ourselves or something completely different.

That's why I don't tend to compare people to ideals or philosophies. :P Call me pessimistic, but I just don't think people can go 100% for something. But that's also what makes us interesting.

Bringing this back up, because I love it!

And a new question, if Christine doesn't mine. :)

What other examples of someone giving their all for the world can you find in the books?

I think the most recent Rand has found a good voice and a better way of thinking. Now he's more about making the people happy and fixing what mistakes he made. I know a lot of people might think it's a sudden change and should have had more build-up, but I've been there. I've been to that place where you realize you've been doing it all wrong. It may seem sudden, but it's not. And it's certainly for the better.

I think the Reds will become the channeling police force, sort of. If a wilder someone abuses the Power, or someone who isn't yet fully trained run away, or one of the other channeling groups that will be around (the Aiel, the Sea Folk, the Kin) misuse the Power in some way, the Reds will be the one who deals with it. Regardless if the channeler is male or female.

I think that the Reds might start serving as a connection between the Black and White Tower since at least from Aviendha's vision, we know that the Black Tower and the White Tower remain seperate for that amount of time. So they could be embassies. However, if the White and Black Tower joined and they all kept the same Ajahs and so on, then I have a feeling that they could take on this as well as facilitate the transactions between all of the different groups of channelers.

Archived