DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Full Prologue Spoiler] The Punishment of Cyndane

snooze1128

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should consider, I think, that there doesn't have to be something that she did to deserve her punishment. It's not like the Dark One is motivated by a version of retributive justice. It may be that she is being punished so that she'll make attractive bait for the Dragon. I don't think that the Dark One is worried about her feelings.

We should consider, I think, that there doesn't have to be something that she did to deserve her punishment. It's not like the Dark One is motivated by a version of retributive justice. It may be that she is being punished so that she'll make attractive bait for the Dragon. I don't think that the Dark One is worried about her feelings.

I hear you loud and clear, but this would be far more easily accomplished by holding one of Rand's wives captive, don't you think? Sure sure, you could make the argument that each was too difficult to get a hold of (Min guarded by Rand, Elayne in Camlyn, and Avi. by wise ones / others). But honestly, why couldn't SH just sneak up on Elayne in the middle of the night, snatch her away, and use her as bait? That would be far more effective, and probably easier, than having Moridin snatch Lanfear from the finns.

I think we'll learn in aMoL that the DO simply couldn't afford to leave Lanfear in the hands of the finns--maybe she was a liability for some reason. As a result, Moridin had to go fetch her, and probably had to give up something. This earns Lanfear a mind trap, which in itself is sufficient punishment. I think Rand will end up helping her in some way or another, but at the same time, I find it hard to believe that he's predictable enough to fall into a Moridin trap while doing so.

Archived