DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Somebody stole my CC #!

Cbinpdx

So, I go to the market today to make a purchase and my credit card is declined. Puzzled, because I just checked my account online a couple of days ago, I go home and log on to try and ascertain the problem. Lo and behold: five new purchases today, totalling over $800!

I call Fraud Services and report the fraudulent charges. The customer service rep tells me the purchases were made - on a physical card - in BRAZIL! (My body is in CALIFORNIA.)

I just had to laugh. But it's a pain in the neck, you know? I now have to wait for my credit union to send me a new card and pin.

This is the second time this year that I've been the victim of fraud. Last time was about 6 months ago, on a different card from a different financial institution.

I am hyper vigilant when it comes to protecting my credit card numbers. I almost NEVER use my PIN. But I can't do anything about the multitude of employees to whom I hand my card in the various places where I make purchases. I wish I knew the origin of this theft!

I've heard there are other ways that clever thieves get your card numbers...

Has this happened to YOU? Do you have any suggestions for me to prevent fraud in the future?

I thought this was about Captain Crunch. *sigh*

206583887_2916705784.jpg

Make sure you shred all your receipts. *nods*

Ha! I guess that'll get this thread more views!

Yeah, I use a criss-cross shredder at home. Like to see anyone try to put THAT back together!

Been taking boxes of old records to a bonded facility that destroys paper for commercial clients. I would burn out my shredder trying to shred it all at home.

206583887_2916705784.jpg

You choked me with laughter XD XD XD!!!!!!

I do not have cards, Jani, so I can't make any suggestions for you :sad:. Other than do not own any, like me :happy:...

We COULD make this ALSO about Captain Crunch!

I used to love it for breakfast when I was a kid. Now, the thought of eating that kind of crap makes me want to gag.

I ALSO used to like Coco Puffs. Why not just have chocolate cake for breakfast instead? Even tastier than chocolate doughnuts, and you don't have to bother with the whole deep frying thing.

206583887_2916705784.jpg

You choked me with laughter XD XD XD!!!!!!

I do not have cards, Jani, so I can't make any suggestions for you :sad:. Other than do not own any, like me :happy:...

For the longest time, I did not have ANY credit cards at all, Taltos. Well, I had charge accounts, but they were all inactive such that you'd have to re-apply to use them. This recent fraudulent activity is actually on an ATM card that you can ALSO use as a VISA. You can't charge anything to it, the money comes straight out of your bank account, but having the card allows you to purchase items off the internet, or rent a hotel room.

I only have ONE actual VISA card. I got one because there's some transactions you just can't do without a real credit card (most car rental agencies will not rent you a car without a valid credit card).

So, I go to the market today to make a purchase and my credit card is declined. Puzzled, because I just checked my account online a couple of days ago, I go home and log on to try and ascertain the problem. Lo and behold: five new purchases today, totalling over $800!

I call Fraud Services and report the fraudulent charges. The customer service rep tells me the purchases were made - on a physical card - in BRAZIL! (My body is in CALIFORNIA.)

I just had to laugh. But it's a pain in the neck, you know? I now have to wait for my credit union to send me a new card and pin.

This is the second time this year that I've been the victim of fraud. Last time was about 6 months ago, on a different card from a different financial institution.

I am hyper vigilant when it comes to protecting my credit card numbers. I almost NEVER use my PIN. But I can't do anything about the multitude of employees to whom I hand my card in the various places where I make purchases. I wish I knew the origin of this theft!

Has this happened to YOU? Do you have any suggestions for me to prevent fraud in the future?

I've never been a victim of fraud like this...since it seems that you're a magnet for it, I would try using cash for everything not requiring a card. For things that require cards (like online shopping), you can buy one of those visa gift cards at walmart. That way, once you buy whatever you need/use up the money on the card, you chuck it in the bin. For credit card purchases (like rental car), I suppose you'll just have to use the card, but if you're at a reputable car dealer (not Ed's ChopShop & Rental) then you should be okay.

I've never been a victim of fraud like this...since it seems that you're a magnet for it, I would try using cash for everything not requiring a card. For things that require cards (like online shopping), you can buy one of those visa gift cards at walmart. That way, once you buy whatever you need/use up the money on the card, you chuck it in the bin. For credit card purchases (like rental car), I suppose you'll just have to use the card, but if you're at a reputable car dealer (not Ed's ChopShop & Rental) then you should be okay.

Hmm that's a thought, I'll check out the VISA gift cards. Thanks!

So, Ed has a ... wide range of money-making businesses, does he? :)

LMFAO.

So... I tell Ed to go look at my response ^there^.

He says... "I don't get it."

Me says... "Well, do you know what prolific means?"

He pauses.

Me says... "Do you know what it means?"

He says... "Wait..."

He begins typing.

He says... "Well, it's not what I thought it meant."

:laugh:

prolific

producing many works : he was a prolific composer of operas.

Then there's the secret definition:

Prolific:

Having anything to do with Ed at all. ANYTHING.

*twaps Ironeyes*

Ed will not be prolific. He will not! NnnnnnnnnnnnnnO. :mad:

Ah, Jani... if only... :wink:

:tongue:

Archived