DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Requirement discussion

Kathleen

Emily and I were disscussing the requirements just a few days ago (unless of course Em wants to hide and have no part in this stuff being brought up, in which case it was all me <.<)

Anywho, we bascially came to the conclusion that the goal of having requirements is to give the new members some experience and the foundation of RPing before we let them run wild.

To that end we disscused having the following requirments:

1) Meet the MoN: It lets them get their first nerves of 'what am I doing' explored in a setting where there character would be doing the same, making it an easy rp to do. Plus the structure of it gives them some good experience writing back and forth with someone else and building on the scene.

2) The intro to Saidar Class - It gives more experience writing a continuing story line, with (usually) more perspectives and shows how to rotate through player perspectives and stay on course of RP. Also, and possibly more importantly it reminds the novice that their character is new to channeling, it should be a difficult process to even touch the source, let alone use it, and that if you abuse it you can burn out. Essentially in character lesson of 'don't godmod'. And they get to play with the OP which a lot of people who sign up for the WT are looking to do.

*optional* 3) One random RP of their choice - This in itself is optional, as its pretty much the exact system we have now, but I think they are expected to more than 3 standard requirements currently. I also think this the one requirement they all want to do the most when they do come. It will give them the opportunity to develop their character how they want to, have fun rping as they should and teach them how to come up with RP concepts on their own. We can keep the list of options they currently have and let them expand on them if they think of something new.

At this point I would say they are ready for the Arches. This isn't to say they can't do more rps, but it should be good enough to go to the second level.

As Accepted in the book they are given more options to personalize where they want their character to go. As of now I admit I don't know what the Accepted Req are but this is something that came to me that I think could help:

1) A class/lesson of their choice. This is where they could pick to have a lesson in healing, or a crash course in the great game, or even advanced saidar. Anything they want to explore but they get to decide what would be interesting for their character.

2) One RP with a member of the Ajah they wish to aspire to. This could be a private lesson, a prank or chore, a travel to the city for some reason. Just a chance for the Accepted to actually get some OOC and IC experience with playing with the members of the group they wish to join.

I think they could be ready for going for the shawl at this point. Again, I'm not sure what the current Req are so I don't really know if this is taking it down any. But this is basically the off the top of the head stuff that was thought up.

LOL, no I'm not trying to hide that Kat. Silly. I just figured we would talk about it in another string.

That sounds like we were trying to go behind your backs or something, really we were just talking about what reqs we didn't mind writing when we were at that point and what ones we think would definitely have to be included if anything ever WAS changed.

Edited by keyholder21

Right..I wasn't trying to make it come off like we've been plotting this for a while or anything. We really did just have it come up in a conversation like two days ago, in among other things. Ps when did the word amoungst stop being a word? Red squiggle comes but I'm sure amoungst was a word...

Maybe there can be a menu of RP's for the kiddos to do? Once you reach a certain point in the Wardie's Guild, for example, you have a menu of RP options to choose from to get your credits. Maybe we can have a standard set of RP's that are required and a menu of options you can choose from to advance from there?

Raeyn and I were talking about Reqs some time ago. She said the biggest thing for her was the arches and having to write them. Since she wasn't yet sure where she wanted her character to go and what she wanted them to do.

So maybe have some form of different way to do the arches if a character isn't sure what they want from the character. If that made sense. I really like the simplified reqs Kat and Em came up with. Seems pretty straightforward and gives the kiddo's less work to do. *laughs* Plus with few reqs they don't have to wait on as many people, if they are RPing with an Aes Sedai. Sometimes I let things get away from me and forget to write till someone pokes me.

A quick word about this: the one thing that should really be gotten rid of is the Meet the MoN RP. Do you guys have any idea how soul numbing it is to write the same RP over and over and over and over and over?

C/P it? Its what I've been doing for the Class one. Just C/P from the last one and add in a few new details to make it look personalized. THey go basically the same don't they? New girl comes in, you say sit and tell me why your here. They do sob story. you grab rock and tell them to make it glow. They do it and go ooh and aww you say here's your dress and there's your room. your end of it stays relatively the same doesn't it?

Then again if it reduces the Req count I'm for it. They still learn to rp in structure back and forth carrying on and arc in the class rp. Or you could have them do the Meet the Mon as a Solo rp? Teach them how to do solo and give them a set up of what they need to do to introduce themselves. Though most people write their bios up to entering the tower (don't they) so in a lot of ways they've already covered that by the time they get to the boards, and it may seem repetive to work so hard on the history of the bio getting them there and then have to repeat it as soon as they are free to rp.

/thoughts at 4am when I woke to get a drink.

It's still the same thing. Just how many things can you change to "personalise" something? And it's BORING. It's nothing but a chore. That's not what RPing should be about. Neither is solo RPing, for that matter - we just allowed them to do the Arches and Oaths as solos because we couldn't get other people to participate in something that repetitive.

Anyhoo, I proposed some radical changes a while back. I think I posted it at the Great Hall. If anyone's willing to find that, I'd be grateful.