DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ok how about this? Lets get it in a poll

mike hunt's here

Mat vs Lan  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

I'd love a scene where Mat picks up a sword, does some forms, runs someone thru, tosses it down and says, I hate these things, picks his spear back up and kicks some arse.

Wonder if he still carries all his daggers.

And where exactly does he keep them? Do they all have sheathes...

Now I've got this image of Indiana Jones in my head..........

Lan would whoop Mat hand to hand. And, while it was only the 4th book and Mat has grown since then, he had trouble with a Defender of the Stone when he broke into the Stone.

I'll tell you you EXACTLY who would win, whoever Brandon Sanderson wrote would win.

I explained this (maybe not in this thread). He didn't have trouble with the Lord of the Land (Not a defender), he didn't have room to use his weapon in the narrow hallway. This example proves how badass he is. He held off, then defeated the guy when the other guy had all the advantages.

No, he had room, he didn't have room to fight and let Juilin move past him. I'm not sure if you're talking about the guy he fought when the Stone fell (Lord of the Land), as far as I remember, that was a defender.

Just double checked it was High Lord Darlin himself apparently.

Sandar's comment implies he didn't have nearly enough room to use his staff to his full advantage. If he did, sandar would have had more than enough room to go pass him.

Hmm, trying not to ramble here, but I donno about Mat with his missing eye, luck only goes so far. Also, Lan was the best pre-FoH, when Moiraine "died" he became a monster. I would go Lan as of aMoL, but Mat pre-ToG.

I would argue the missing eye will make him even more dangerous. The less he is in direct control of, the more his luck can take over. I wouldnt be surprised if the man fought better blindfolded.

Interesting

it all depends on terrain. I personally would give Lan the edge though, especially considering Mat's lack of 1 on 1 fighting (on higher levels) which is totally different from group fighting and 1 vs 2+

Mat: "Well, I haven't fought just one person for so long.

I've been specializing in groups. Battling gangs for

local charities, that kind of thing.

Lan: Why should that make such a < strained > difference?

Mat: Well, you see, you use different moves when you're

fighting half a dozen people than when you only have

to be worried about ... one.

(Courtesy of The Princess Bride)

it all depends on terrain. I personally would give Lan the edge though, especially considering Mat's lack of 1 on 1 fighting (on higher levels) which is totally different from group fighting and 1 vs 2+

very nice, but it is very true, with a group you go for the most devasting attacks possible or to push them back far enough that you can refocus on another. 1v1 its all about tricking your opponent, whereas group most of the time people would be like "oh he's focussed on buddy lets get him now!" then rush in and get tagged.

He defeated Galad and Gawyn both at the same time, has the luck factor, is Ta´veren; like Graendal explains it with Perrin: Arrows directed at him from a far would be caught by the wind and miss etc. Every strike Lan makes that hits flesh, doesn't hit the arteries, avoids the vitals etc.

very nice, but it is very true, with a group you go for the most devasting attacks possible or to push them back far enough that you can refocus on another. 1v1 its all about tricking your opponent, whereas group most of the time people would be like "oh he's focussed on buddy lets get him now!" then rush in and get tagged.

He fought plently 1v1. Half the high lords in Tear fell to him. With just a plain quarter staff. Couladin fell to him.

He defeated Galad and Gawyn both at the same time, has the luck factor, is Ta´veren; like Graendal explains it with Perrin: Arrows directed at him from a far would be caught by the wind and miss etc. Every strike Lan makes that hits flesh, doesn't hit the arteries, avoids the vitals etc.

That's not necessarily true about the arrows. Perrin had a trolloc arrow in his gut. Rand had a magic staff and a magic dagger in his side.

I was just having fun. Yes, different fighting scenarios require different skill sets.

Archived