DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What role will Padan Fain play in AMOL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does everyone take things so literally? Pure Evil vs Pure Evil. Mashadar vs the Dark One.

Granted I very much doubt im right on much of this, but I think as far as balance goes Mashadar and The Dark One are a match made in the dark ones prison. They would fight for eternity to become strong enough to beat the other in order to challenge the light.

Pure Evil vs. Pure Evil seems a little simplistic.

I see the contrast being Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil (akin to DnD character alignment options).

The Dark One: Lawful Evil, evil for the sake of evil, everything always in opposition to the Creator.

Fain: Chaotic Evil, evil for the sake of his own self interest, everything in opposition to whomever he's most pissed off at today.

Who wins the cage match? Hard to predict. The Lawful Evil Dark One brings more raw power to the fight, but is restricted in that everything he does must be objectively Evil or produce an Evil outcome. Chaotic Evil Fain has the option to use every trick in the book, including tactics which are Good, to advance his own Evil self-interest.

Why does everyone take things so literally? Pure Evil vs Pure Evil. Mashadar vs the Dark One.

Granted I very much doubt im right on much of this, but I think as far as balance goes Mashadar and The Dark One are a match made in the dark ones prison. They would fight for eternity to become strong enough to beat the other in order to challenge the light.

Pure Evil vs. Pure Evil seems a little simplistic.

I see the contrast being Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil (akin to DnD character alignment options).

The Dark One: Lawful Evil, evil for the sake of evil, everything always in opposition to the Creator.

Fain: Chaotic Evil, evil for the sake of his own self interest, everything in opposition to whomever he's most pissed off at today.

Who wins the cage match? Hard to predict. The Lawful Evil Dark One brings more raw power to the fight, but is restricted in that everything he does must be objectively Evil or produce an Evil outcome. Chaotic Evil Fain has the option to use every trick in the book, including tactics which are Good, to advance his own Evil self-interest.

Except if that were the case I don't think there would ever be an order to let Rand live

I don't think Fain is anywhere near powerful enough to take on the dark one. I think of him as a neutral force. I think, possibly, Ish and Rand will join forces to kill him. Or, maybe Lanfear and Rand. Somehow he's going to disrupt the battle in a way that has never been done.

I think that Moridin plays the better counterpart for Rand then him. I have speculated in a line from the prophesy of the dark "(...)and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy(...)" i know that Rand is the hotspot but consider these things : a) Fain is obviously in the Blight and heeding for Shayol Ghul, he is bent on destroying the DO yes that a crazy plan but well Fain is crazy and very powerful.

b) It dose not stand anywhere in the text that he accuelley beaks them it could mean " When Fain try to break the seals of the Dark Ones prison..." and 3 ) would it not bee a little to obvious if it was Rand ?

'First among vermin' I have always taken for Fain. I just don't see it relating to Rand breaking the seals. To me it applies more to Fain because vermin (rats) are akin to the DO. And he did say in EOTHW or TGH that he didn't want to serve the Dark originally. And in integrating the essence of Shadar Logoth he has found a way to fight it which I believe is the 'wild card' concept RJ spoke of.

What if Fain is the one who has a 'memory of light'? That would be a twist and a half.

First among vermin = LTT = Tamyrlin = First Among the Servants/Aes Sedai.

"Once you stood first among the Servants. Once you wore the Ring of Tamyrlin, and sat in the High Seat. Once you summoned the Nine Rods of Dominion"

Broken Wolf, most people think automatically Perrin or perhaps Lan. However, given the impact his death will have on men, it can only be Rand.

First among vermin could be Moridin as well, the Fortelling doesn't seem to be too nice to the Shadow in its terminology.

Broken Wolf is most probably Lan given the available information, but could easily change to be any number of main characters.

No. It can only be Rand or a very small chance of Perrin. One of Min's viewing: Rand & Perrin holding back the darkness (Rand by himself, the darkness consumes the Light). Nobody is going to be resurrecting Perrin, unlike possibly Rand.

Actually the fortelling does not belittle any of the Shadow followers. Lan is an insect compared to the 3 ta'avern and his death will be nothing and certainly will not shake men's very will to fight. "And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself."

“Lo, it shall come upon the world that the prison of the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again, His glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things, and the Great Lord shall stretch forth His hand to claim what is His. The rebellious nations shall be laid barren, their children caused to weep. There shall be none but Him, and those who have turned their eyes to His majesty.”

“In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith’s pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers.

And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.”

“And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve Him, and He shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!”

You think that news that the last of the Malkieri rode to the blight and were slaughtered wouldn't shake the will of men?

Every ruler in the world knows of Malkier's fall. Perrin is a nobody to most of them, he leads a ragtag army of Aiel, a couple of Mayeners, some dirt farmers and refugees. We know he is a powerhouse and vital to the war, but to the populace Perrin dieing would mean nothing. Out of the three ta'veren only Rand is known outside their clique. So Perrin can't be the one prophecised

Rand has nothing to tie him to wolves aside from maybe one reference. It also says that the Broken Champion will be hurt atleast, which is obviously Rand and is counter to him already being consumed by the Midnight Towers.

“And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve Him, and He shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!”

You are saying that isn't demeaning the followers of the Shadow?

You think that news that the last of the Malkieri rode to the blight and were slaughtered wouldn't shake the will of men?

Every ruler in the world knows of Malkier's fall. Perrin is a nobody to most of them, he leads a ragtag army of Aiel, a couple of Mayeners, some dirt farmers and refugees. We know he is a powerhouse and vital to the war, but to the populace Perrin dieing would mean nothing. Out of the three ta'veren only Rand is known outside their clique. So Perrin can't be the one prophecised

Rand has nothing to tie him to wolves aside from maybe one reference. It also says that the Broken Champion will be hurt atleast, which is obviously Rand and is counter to him already being consumed by the Midnight Towers.

You are saying that isn't demeaning the followers of the Shadow?

Beside the Borelanders, Lan has hardly any weight. Certainly not to shake men's very will to fight. Only the death of the Dragon Reborn can do this. Midnight Towers = Forsaken. Lan is too much of an insect for them to swat at. "Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. " Death capitalized = Moridin.

Not demeaning, just indicating how fanatical/devoted Shai'tan's followers are.

Archived