DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"If you think Wheel of Time is good, then I dare you to re-read it. Believe me, it’s really bad."

Hopebringer

though gratefull that BS finished the series, i have to say i have had no desire to read any of his own work, in fact i have gone out of my way to avoid his work to the point, that having saw nothing else but his books in the library i have opted to reread a old favorite rather than his work.

I agree aswell that the last 3 RJ books were over done and had alot that was unnecessary to the over all plot.

You're kind of screwing yourself, man. Stormlight Archive and Mistborn are some damn good pieces of fantasy - assuming of course you break that I-don't-care barrier you find at the start of every fantasy book. One really cool thing about his stories is that they're all connected in an overarching universe, and one character actually appears in every single one of his stories manipulating events for his own ends. There's also, of course, the fact that Sanderson actually knows how to write a working magic system that's logical and not overpowered. Unlike a certain somebody we all know and love...

EDIT: If you choose to do yourself a favor and start reading Sanderson, I'd recommend Mistborn first. Stormlight Archive is amazing, but it's also only two books in to a planned ten book series. I'd put off starting that for as long as possible to minimize downtime between books. 

Bought the Mistborn ebook last night read a bit then and some today 5 chapters in my current assessment is its okay. I don't find myself disliking it, but it's hardly a chore to put it down. At the moment I would edge towards Mr Ares' solid rather than amazing, but I appreciate its early days and I'm sure it will pick up.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished Final Empire, glad I took Tranovious' advice and gave BS a chance, a lot better than his WoT work, though I wouldn't call it amazing it was very enjoyable in parts and well worth the read. It does open up a new universe to explore that is interesting, which as a avid reader of fantasy is really all you can ask for.

To be fair, the complaints in the OP do not mean that the story or the series is not good, only that the reader wasn't into the style of writing.  Believe me, there have been times when I wanted to rip a book in half.  RJ tended to be very very detailed on even the most mundane details.  When you spend an entire page describing the excess bee's wax on a polished table, it probably will bore the fuck out of some people. 

The story itself is good, and if you can get through the boring parts, like most of Knife of Dreams, it's a very well written.  The characters and locations are so detailed that it's easy to picture them. 

Archived