DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How will they EVER make Rand feel normal emotion again?

Cam

this is Caduane we're talking about. Do you honestly think that she'll just give up and go off because moraine came back from the dead (figuratively speaking)??.

Moiraine will shake Cadsuane to her core. Cadsuane is confident in the knowledge that no-one has a firmer hold on Rand than her - I believe Rand had learnt to trust Moirane, and would break free of Cadsuane with Moiraine's support. I think that Moiraine will be more powerful still on her return. After all - she's a Demodred - I think she still has a large and pivotal part to play.

it IS as bad as all that. rand never laughs in mirth anymore, it is always bitter. with min he is described as 'hungry' and 'passionate' but not ever really content, or happy. she is the only one who is stopping him becoming a monster, literally, she has her claws in his last shred of humanity and is hanging on for the sake of the world.

:roll: that was overly dramatic :roll:

he is not a pleasant person

he needs to chill out a bit...ummm alot.

• 2 weeks later...

just a thought that has come to me only when readi ng through these comments ...

I've alway assumed that Rand (& all the AM) having to 'learn' something from Cas would mean that she would 'teach' them something - either point out an error/problem, demonstrate a fault in them etc - something that they would see in them selves & correct. What if the 'lesson' is a correction to a habit or error in Cas herself? That Rand & the AM 'learn' by seeing the problem as it arised in Cas herself?

teaching humility dose sound plausible (especially form an aside stand point :roll: ), or as cad puts it "manners". there are a few problems with it though.

for one the ash'man may not be the badst bad a++ around, but thay are awful close. also if the ash'man have a problem with arrogance then the aside have....well let's just say as much or more. maybe Moiraine will teach the aside (including cad) and cad can teach the ash'man.

as an aside cad's plan as near as i can figure it out is this. annoy rand :roll: , physically assault rand :o , humiliate /embarse rand :oops: , rand snaps crushes her head with the power :x . then is sad and cries over it :cry: . mileage may vary

• 6 months later...

I think Moriaines return will allow cadsuane and sorilea to get through to rand, as rand uses moiraines name among others to hammer away at his soul, yet if the name at the top of the list (im sure moiraines is at the top or it has been) then maybe it will bring out some of the feelings rand held back for so long that he forgot they were there

Cadsuane and Sorilea made a pact to teach Rand laughter and tears in The Path of Daggers. there is one Prophecy that migth give us some insight as to what will trigger Rand to reach for hs emotions.

1)There can be no health in us , nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn. 2) Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to kneel. He calls upon the mountian to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

We have no POV from Sorilea to tell us how she adduced that Rand must become more human. We can speculate that she saw something when she went to Rhuidean to become a Wise One. It is doubtful that she learned that much from Egwene during the march to Cairhien or from simple observation. The first part of the prophecy may be of help.

The reference to the land refers to Rand's ancestry from the Dashien Aiel. The Aiel would sing to the Land along with the Ogier to grow healthy crops as well as being pacifists. The Tua'athan are the remainder of the Dashien. At some time in AMoL Rand will encounter the Tinkers. He will realize they are are Dashien. He knows the Tinker song and teach it to them. They in turn will teach him the Way of the Leaf.

Cadsuane is clearly influnced by the second part of the following Prophecy of the Dragon.

From her appearance in ACOS until the make the agreement there are several passages that indicate this. Whe she interrogates the Kiruna, Bera, Merana and Annoura. (ACOS: Diamonds and Stars) Later in Blades she reiterates her intention to not harm him but help him.

How will she teach him laughter and tears? Many speculate that the return of Moiraine will be the event that triggers Rand's emotions. This would seem to contradict Min's viewing that Cadsuane would teach Rand and the Ashaman. No Ashaman save the ones from the Two Rivers have ever met Moiraine. It might trigger joy and happiness for Rand to see her again but what would it trigger in the Ashaman? Moiraine's reappearance might make Rand more receptive to Cadsuane's advice although we have seen him dismiss her hints about being more flexible.

How, then will Cadsuane teach Rand to be more human?

First, Rand must become receptive to the idea of learning. Lews Therin might be the trigger. He seems to agree with Cadsuane that Rand is too hard. He might remind Rand of his own failings. Recall from Dragonmount:

Because of him. because in his pride he had believed that men could match the Creator, could mend what the Creator had made and they had broken. In his pride he had believed.

Cadsuane will then be able to teach Rand how to let his emotions loose.

Many speculate that the return of Moiraine will be the event that triggers Rand's emotions. This would seem to contradict Min's viewing that Cadsuane would teach Rand and the Ashaman.

Most people who think that Moiraine's return will cause Rand to feel emotion again think that Cadsuane will teach Rand something else. Keep in mind, the Asha'man don't need to be taught to remember emotion, because they haven't forgotten it. Only Rand has. Therefore, what doesn't fit Min's viewing is that Cadsuane will be able to make Rand feel again. I know that she wishes to teach him that, but that doesn't mean she will succeed (and I don't see how she could, to be honest).

Something that Rand and the Asha'man all need to learn is humility and "manners," which is something Cadsuane has been working to teach them, and even succeeding to a small extent.

Anyway, I agree with LTT here. The return of the top woman on Rand's list should break down some barriers.

Hmm. I have a bit of an odd theory.

Personally, I believe Rand is going to die. (After TG, and possibly as a result of it.)

I think he will see everything brought to its right place, as everyone has mentioned, (Moiraine's return, the twins, unity, whatever.) and learn laughter from it.

But because he's doomed to die, he won't be able to see the full result of it, or spend a long life with the people he cares about. Thus causing his tears.

(Not necessarily sorrowful tears. Bittersweet?)

It brings to mind LOTR - at the end when the world is at right again, but Frodo knows that he cannot go on living in it.

He knows the Tinker song and teach it to them. They in turn will teach him the Way of the Leaf.

I don't think Rand is going to do any winning against the DO if he runs away from everything :)

I hope we see a reunion between Rand and Tam. I don't see how that could not bring his emotions back. Even if Tam isn't Rand's blood-father, he brought him up and loved him for two decades or so.

I agree, however, that Moiraine will break his whole list thing. She'll open up the hole and Cadsuane will crawl in and fix + teach him a better way to act. (Hopefully not in her image though :?)

Archived