DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Theory

Darthsquelch

Hello everyone. I have been coming to this site off and on for awhile now and reading theories and what-nots and I read a theory on another site recently that got me to thinking. It deals with Min's viewings and other prophecies about Rand. One of her viewings involved Elayne having a severed hand image (not hers), One about Rand gripping Callandor in a black hand, and one of the prophecies states that ".He shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one" so I'm thinking that maybe Elayne or someone near her will be able to craft a new hand for Rand allowing him to use Callandor with both hands instead of just his right one. I'm probably way off base but I figured I would throw that out there and see if anyone could make something of it.

I have often wondered about that myself. I think that RJ loved the Star Wars series from some things I've picked up here and there in the books. The black hand could be a glove or it could be living Cuendillar or some other construct. We know the female version is made from the finest iron, but we haven't seen the black (male) version and what it is made from.

This is one of those things that I hope is covered in the last book, but I'm thinking it likely will be covered as it is one of the viewings we've yet to see.

This may interest you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann#Legendary_history

Led by their king, Nuada, they fought the First Battle of Magh Tuireadh on the west coast, in which they defeated and displaced the native Fir Bolg, who then inhabited Ireland. In the battle, Nuada lost an arm to their champion, Sreng. Since Nuada was no longer "unblemished", he could not continue as king and was replaced by the half-Fomorian Bres, who turned out to be a tyrant. The physician Dian Cecht replaced Nuada's arm with a working silver one and he was reinstated as king. However, Dian Cecht's son Miach was dissatisfied with the replacement so he recited the spell, "ault fri halt dí & féith fri féth" (joint to joint of it and sinew to sinew), which caused flesh to grow over the silver prosthesis over the course of nine days and nights.

Generally speaking, the fandoms main theory about the severed red hand in Elayne's aura is that it was met by Elayne making her deal to hire the band--and the subsequent role they will play in the Battle of Caemlyn.

the two aren't compatible, it is likely as Luckers said. Mat not being in Caemlyn with Talmanes etc.. in the epilogue, the Band working for Elayne.

But yeah, the viewing of Elayne is a severed hand, if she is making a new hand for Rand, why would it be severed?

Severed implies cutting something off, not putting it back on, and Elayne had nothing to do with Semirhage blasting Rand.

The black hand viewing is something else, my first guess would be something to do with the flaw with Callandor, exposing Rand to control by the DO or Forsaken.

Did RJ or Brandon ever discuss what the "weakness" of Callandor is?

I think it is pretty obvious that it has something to do with the person wielding it being susceptible to attacks from tel'aran'rhiod or that it puts the wielder in both worlds. And while we do not know how the transition occurs, we know from Aiel dreamwalkers and the example of Slayer that going to t'a'r in the flesh has bad consequences. But I have not read any discussion of what the weakness actually is. I think knowing that weakness is key to interpreting any prophesy regarding Callandor.

I once contemplated the idea of the severed hand referring to Shaidars thoughts on wanting to break his connection to Shayol Ghul. Obviously that ones got out the window...

I think it probably refers to Rands hand being blown off, likely when he swaps bodies with Moridin the hand will still be as dead as if it had been severed.

Archived