DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did we (fans) create the length and detail of WOT

vegetattack15

Probably a yes and no, but I'm going to go with no. RJ had this plotted out since the beginning, he's known this story for over 20 years and has wanted to tell the full extent of it, with every detail included. His style of writting has always demanded a high level of detail, and the plot he was trying to tell was always a long one (though he didn't think it would be this long). I'm pretty sure most of it is simply him trying to be just as detailed as always and trying to bring a world fully alive.

On the other hand, the series is popular. We have inadvertainly allowed him to write a 12 book series by buying the 12 book series. The last 4 of which have all be #1 New York Times bestsellers. It probably would have been 12 books anyway, because of the type of storyteller he is, but the success allows him a certain freedom to put in the description he wants.

ROFL Bob, thank you for the response we already knew was coming from you. The majority of fantasy authors that I read are three books plus and almost every author has said in some interview, forum or blog online that they never planned it to be as long as it is. I am currently reading a series that at first was supposed to only be three books and now after the first three are finished but the story isn't they are changing the series to at least six books maybe more. Robert Jordan and many other authors have already said it has nothing to do with the fans it is just the immersive nature of the fantasy genre and I can definitely see how that is true especially in the Wheel of Time.

Archived