DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Importance of Being Min

What will be Min's role? to be honest she might be my fav of the 3 lovers to rand, we know she is doing a lot of research on callandor, sealing the bore, and saving rand? what do people think she will pull off? what info will she find and what will be the contents of it? what is her fate? because we already know that the baddies know how important she is to rand so will there be more plots against her? what if she is abducted? does amol have time for a rescue attempt for min should that happen? tell me your thoughts

In TGS29, the LTT-Voice added Min's name to Rand's list of women for whose deaths he held himself responsible (and which was headed by Moiraine..). Rand tells himself that was Semirhage's doing and anyway Min wasn't killed. Then of course Graendal muses in ToM Prologue about killing Rand's 'dark-haired lover'. Admittedly it won't now be down to Graendal to make any such attempt; but I rather think Min is due to become toast, and probably before she can tell Rand what he needs to know.

(edited for bbouncccing kkkeysss.. :rolleyes: )

In TGS29, the LTT-Voice added Min's name to Rand's list of women for whose deaths he held himself responsible (and which was headed by Moiraine..). Rand tells himself that was Semirhage's doing and anyway Min wasn't killed. Then of course Graendal muses in ToM Prologue about killing Rand's 'dark-haired lover'. Admittedly it won't now be down to Graendal to make any such attempt; but I rather think Min is due to become toast, and probably before she can tell Rand what he needs to know.

(edited for bbouncccing kkkeysss.. :rolleyes: )

i would hope nothing happens to her, the unfortunate thing is that out of the 3 she is the most expendable and least equipped to defend herself...if it happens i wonder what she may accomplish first and when....we know in the DKS cover she is alive, whatever that may entail

I think it be fitting for Min to die. I don't want her too, cause she's one of my favourites, but she's spent so much time around Rand compared to the other two, and she's become so nice and so useful that something bad just has to happen to her soon. If she gets close to giving Rand any information, we know she's going to get separated from him...So, I reckon something untoward will happen to Min, but I don't know what, and I hope she doesn't die.

We have the Wise One's dreams and Nicola's foretelling indicating that Min will live to see Rand die. (Did Egwene have a dream about this too? I forget.) If she'll die, it will be probably near the end; but not before she can tell him whatever she might have to tell him about Callandor.

Egwene had a pyre dream but the girls weren't in it. It doesn't matter; we know they'll live until he dies, and she'll probably live to her appointed years. Her main role aside from whatever she might dig out of Fel's books is that she knows Birgitte is still tied to the Wheel, and that therefore the same method can be used for Rand's resurrection without much in the way of consequences.

she seems on the verge of finding something about callandor as well if im not mistaken...the only semi-decent reason i could see killing min off besides the emotional impact it would have on readers and characters is that she cant possibly live as long a life with rand as avi and elayne can, which will make it fairly strange, so in some twisted way its a mercy kill, but that implies that rand survives which honestly i find it to be a mercy kill if he stays dead, but thats another thread

The pyre, and the bier..

As Terez says, Egwene dreams this: "A man lies dying on a narrow bed. It's important that he not die, but a funeral pyre is prepared." (ACoS10)

Min views these:

"three women standing over a funeral bier with you on it." (TEotW15)

"Three women before a pyre" (viewing around Rand, TGS15)

Yes, I know what Irene Gallo said..

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/a-darrell-k-sweet-wheel-of-time-tribute-including-a-memory-of-light-sketch

But I find it curious in the extreme that Min did not identify herself as one of those three women. Neither did she identify Avi or Elayne. Odd. Might Irene have made an assumption here?

Why do you find that curious? She was telling Rand about the viewing in Baerlon when they first met; she could hardly identify herself outright without freaking him out. The whole 'you'll never escape from me' thing was quite enough.

Why do you find that curious? She was telling Rand about the viewing in Baerlon when they first met; she could hardly identify herself outright without freaking him out. The whole 'you'll never escape from me' thing was quite enough.

But she could have done so later on, and she didn't.

Anyways, I think that she just may be unable to identify herself in some visions even if she appears, or maybe she has another look in which she's hardly recognizable. It would be hard for her to recognize herself when maybe she has different hair-style or even color, maybe a dress she's never seen...

But I think the most probable cause is that, as Terez said, she couldn't tell him at the time (to not scare him and not telling us that she would be there with him when he dies...shouting that he won't get rid of her and a vision are very different precognitions, one may be the crazy girl and the other is a fact) and later on it didn't have any importance, or RJ just expects us to overlook that as obvious when we already know about the three-runforthehills thing.

RJ tends to operate on the principle that he doesn't need to tell his readers that water is wet.

Anyways, I think that she just may be unable to identify herself in some visions even if she appears, or maybe she has another look in which she's hardly recognizable. It would be hard for her to recognize herself when maybe she has different hair-style or even color, maybe a dress she's never seen...

But I think the most probable cause is that, as Terez said, she couldn't tell him at the time (to not scare him and not telling us that she would be there with him when he dies...shouting that he won't get rid of her and a vision are very different precognitions, one may be the crazy girl and the other is a fact) and later on it didn't have any importance, or RJ just expects us to overlook that as obvious when we already know about the three-runforthehills thing.

did she not know she would be one of the girls that would fall in love with rand? it must be hard enough to talk about the tragic things you are witnessing let alone personalizing it by speaking about yourself in it and other people that you care about...besides, like terez sez, rj allows us to gather the obvious, the books are long enough without him having to hold our hands through every minute occurence

RJ tends to operate on the principle that he doesn't need to tell his readers that water is wet.

did she not know she would be one of the girls that would fall in love with rand? it must be hard enough to talk about the tragic things you are witnessing let alone personalizing it by speaking about yourself in it and other people that you care about...besides, like terez sez, rj allows us to gather the obvious, the books are long enough without him having to hold our hands through every minute occurence

"or RJ just expects us to overlook that as obvious"

As i said xD

Along with a whole lot of unnecessary stuff.

(don't mind me; I'm not actually as cantankerous as I seem to be sometimes.)

I was only talking about possibilities, I don't like to be norrow-minded. But I said that what I thought was that xD

I don't mind you (don't know if this is the way to say it). I just dislike when people state something I already had said as if I was wrong but them were right xD

And I think it's about time I answer the topic of the post. I totally forgot.

I don't think Min will have a major role in aMoL. As some of you say, it may be true that she discovers something about Callandor, though i can't imagine what else can she discover about it; or she may discover something about the Seals...well, I also find this unprobable, Rand seems pretty sure he knows what must be done with them, and it has its logic.

My opinion is that the major role of Min was each book she has been with Rand. Elayne had her hands full with the Black Ajah-Salidar-the Kin-Andor. Also Aviendha had her sister-bussiness and then her training as WO. Min has been with Rand all that time to love him and support him, and he pretty much needed it. Can't imagine what could have happened in VoG if Min hadn't been there for him all that time. At least, probably the end of hope for the light.

it is true that min has served a valuable purpose, but i cant imagine that it has been completely fulfilled yet either...she took up herid fel's work after he died and i think thats what she is gonna do, complete it by finding some important piece...i dont think that rand has a fully concrete plan on how hes gonna do things, although i believe there was a lot of his timeline we didnt see so i suppose its possible that he found what he needs, but really i think min is the one that is going to find some obscur reference on how to seal the bore and/or on what the other flaw in callandor is and how he can avoid it/use it/gaurd against it...but, i believe that when she finds this info, she wont be anywhere near rand, it always seems that when someone finds some valuable info or has an epiphany regarding someone else, that someone else is never anywhere to be found, or the person who found it is in dire trouble and cant get to them (all of sword of truth series comes to mind when i say that, ugh lol)...perhaps min wont discover the vital info about callandor until he has already left for shayol ghul, or she will have found something out about the bore but he will have rescued cyndane and she will go on a rage upon seeing min, or abduct her as that could be the plan to begin with among so many other possibilities...but im pretty sold that min will find some obscure reference that puts all the pieces together but will have a hell of a time relaying it to rand

What will be Min's role? to be honest she might be my fav of the 3 lovers to rand, we know she is doing a lot of research on callandor, sealing the bore, and saving rand? what do people think she will pull off? what info will she find and what will be the contents of it? what is her fate? because we already know that the baddies know how important she is to rand so will there be more plots against her? what if she is abducted? does amol have time for a rescue attempt for min should that happen? tell me your thoughts

she isn't doing research on callandor, she is doing research on the kareathon cycle. she likely already knows a solution, but she does not want rand to die.

she isn't doing research on callandor, she is doing research on the kareathon cycle. she likely already knows a solution, but she does not want rand to die.

right but didnt she make a comment to cadsuane about it? she could very easily come across something important to callandor, any info is pertinant info

As much as I see Min as an important person to Rand, if something were going to happen to her, it would have already. Semirhage tried and successfully used her to drive Rand to use the True Power (which I think was DO and Ishmael's plan all along). This was pretty much in line with what I believe was their plan to try to get Rand to turn evil.

Now that Rand had found the light, her death, while tragic and horrible, will not have the same effect as it would have before his epiphany. I think she is pretty much out of the woods (other than the normal threat of being near the head representative for the Light).

Re-enforcing this theory is that there have been multiple visions/viewings/fortellings about 3 women at Rand's funeral pyre. To me this indicates that she will live to at least see his death.

I do think there is still something she will find in Fel's books that will help Rand and due to the hints laid out already, it will be something to do with Callandor and how it might be used at Shayol Ghul.

right but didnt she make a comment to cadsuane about it? she could very easily come across something important to callandor, any info is pertinant info

we shall see i think. but yes i think she would likely speak with cads before she tried to present anything to rand, but i think cads would be the only aes'sedai to treat a question she has seriously. cads even knocked down another aes'sedai in favor of min, not because min is awesome, but because her understanding of the text was better. and yes min did figure out something important without help, she was and likely still is scared of it, because of rand's fear of a box. but that is where she and cads independently arrived at the same conclusion on a piece of the cycle. regardless of what is happening in the background, the fact that cads backed min up against a "so called" aes'sedai speaks of where cads is on the subject of channeler vs non channeler; she doesn't care, she just want's people who use their mind. if she has a bias, it is the same bias that we all have, we love it when people agree with us especially when they agree without knowing we even exist. the real question will be when cads has to accept something new. (btw i still want to see cadsuane meet moiraine, cads owes moir quite a beating. if that threat was fully in the 3 oaths, cadsuane will have no choice but to make moir cry, although i think cads could avoid it by being the one to reintroduce her to the dragon reborn. i simply can imagine a situation where not only does one cry, but both of them, even if they are true aes sedai on the outside, i think they will both be just as nostalgic as we readers on the inside. just like in her fumbling fashion cads made rand see laughter and tears, she will make moir cry.

As much as I see Min as an important person to Rand, if something were going to happen to her, it would have already. Semirhage tried and successfully used her to drive Rand to use the True Power (which I think was DO and Ishmael's plan all along). This was pretty much in line with what I believe was their plan to try to get Rand to turn evil.

Now that Rand had found the light, her death, while tragic and horrible, will not have the same effect as it would have before his epiphany. I think she is pretty much out of the woods (other than the normal threat of being near the head representative for the Light).

Re-enforcing this theory is that there have been multiple visions/viewings/fortellings about 3 women at Rand's funeral pyre. To me this indicates that she will live to at least see his death.

I do think there is still something she will find in Fel's books that will help Rand and due to the hints laid out already, it will be something to do with Callandor and how it might be used at Shayol Ghul.

the only thing that we know about min's future is that she will love rand (that is how we get people thinking she might be lanfear regardless of how easy it is to slap that idea down) we don't know if min will have any of his kids, or even if she will survive the last battle. and when it comes down to it, all we do know is that min is the most dangerous person to have ever existed in the age of the dragon reborn. she is likely aware of that, i am certain that the thoughtful aes sedai get it, and i suspect that rand has understood it for quite some time, who else do you have research the end than the most dangerous person in the world?

Because she doesn't tell Rand abut the TGS15 Viewing, we only see that in her PoV. She doesn't even identify them to herself, or indicate in any way that she recognises them:

"Faith in you, sheepherder." Suddenly viewings spun around his head. She ignored them most of the time, unless they were new, but now she picked them out. Fireflies consumed in darkness. Three women before a pyre. Flashes of light, darkness, shadow, signs of death, crowns, injuries, pain and hope. A tempest aroound Rand al'Thor, stronger than any physical storm.

the only thing that we know about min's future is that she will love rand (that is how we get people thinking she might be lanfear regardless of how easy it is to slap that idea down) we don't know if min will have any of his kids, or even if she will survive the last battle. and when it comes down to it, all we do know is that min is the most dangerous person to have ever existed in the age of the dragon reborn. she is likely aware of that, i am certain that the thoughtful aes sedai get it, and i suspect that rand has understood it for quite some time, who else do you have research the end than the most dangerous person in the world?

im curious bout that, can you elaborate about min being a dangerous person? loved the stuff about moiraine and cads, what part is that from that she'll make her cry? i cant remember

i said nothing about an effect for her death. at this point it might anger rand, but i don't think it will effect his actions. but if she was able to quote him a section of the kareathon cycle and give him a plausible rough meaning, that would have an effect. and i don't think what she might find could be classified as "in harid fel's" books unless you include books that are well known by all scholars. now it might be her pov because she got those books because of fel, but for lack of a better explanation she astonished cads when she saw the "box". to say the least she was nearly as afraid of that box as rand was, but she had to accept it, and hopefully she can get rand to. rand likely knows he will have to, but claustrophobia is not a toy, and doesn't just disappear, even the bravest person can be driven to their knees by an inane fear. for me lately it has been height (kinda odd to me because when i was in middle and highschool i used to love heights) but before that it was not being accepted. something i grew past years ago, but the last specific i remember, i'm slightly unbalanced so mine shift around until it hits something physical (like being afraid of being on the roof of my own house to do the same thing i did a year later) i have never fallen off or gotten close to it, i will go back up there and shift my fear somewhere else, karaoke seems like a more productive place to put it.

Archived