DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Camylen's waygate

ironisles

AS mentioned, he did. (I can't seem to remember him specifically saying he did with this waygate, anyone have a quote?) since he could have forgotten about it. Although, I think it is pretty safe to say he did booby-trap it.

Even so, also as mentioned, it could easily have been removed by one of the Forsaken, or the Black Ajah that were in Caemlyn organizing it could have been told how to disarm it.

Even if they didn't, in terms of an army, could the trap have been that effective. At that point he still did not know very much about the OP, so it could be that the trap was just not powerful enough. Did it reset when it was triggered? (I am pretty sure it does) BUt if not, then I can see the shadow sacrificing a few thousand trollocs to get through.

Interesting though, could it have been the Gohlam that nullified it? If i remember correctly, weaves dissolve when they touch the Gohlam. Could it have been ordered to simply walk through the waygate, thus dissolving the trap?

As far as I'm aware, Rand never booby-trapped the Waygate in Caemlyn. Only in Shadar Logoth.

Interesting though, could it have been the Gohlam that nullified it? If i remember correctly, weaves dissolve when they touch the Gohlam. Could it have been ordered to simply walk through the waygate, thus dissolving the trap?

Doesn't work that way. The trap merely wouldn't affect him.

As far as I'm aware, Rand never booby-trapped the Waygate in Caemlyn. Only in Shadar Logoth.

Doesn't work that way. The trap merely wouldn't affect him.

I think the point about the Caemlyn waygate being booby-trapped is that Rand made a big deal about blocking all the Waygates - the whole plot with Loial and the other Ogier helping - that it is easy to assume that he would have taken care of the Caemlyn one, since he was situated in Caemlyn at the time,

But you are correct. There is no mention of the Caemlyn Waygate being taken care of (from memory) and it can definitely be possible that it was not seen to, However, he had the help of Loial's mother etc... So even if he did forget about it, surely they would have sensed it and brought it up. Unless of course, they assumed he had already dealt with it..... The possibilities go on.

Fair enough about the Gohlam, do you have a quote or example to support that? I am not saying you are wrong, I do not remember anything that ruled this out (I haven't reviewed the Quote Database, so my memory of it is sketchy) I just remember Elayne or Nynaeve or someone remark that the weaves simply dissolved when they tried channeling at it. So confirmation would be appreciated !

But you are correct. There is no mention of the Caemlyn Waygate being taken care of (from memory) and it can definitely be possible that it was not seen to, However, he had the help of Loial's mother etc... So even if he did forget about it, surely they would have sensed it and brought it up. Unless of course, they assumed he had already dealt with it..... The possibilities go on.

From memory and after a quick reference, here is a quote:

LoC: A Saying in the Borderlands (10)

"The Ways; that was no feather. He had the Waygate here in Caemlyn under guard, and those near Tear and Cairhien; but he could not even be sure how many more there were."

It says that the waygate is under guard. No specific mention of booby traps though!

From memory and after a quick reference, here is a quote:

LoC: A Saying in the Borderlands (10)

"The Ways; that was no feather. He had the Waygate here in Caemlyn under guard, and those near Tear and Cairhien; but he could not even be sure how many more there were."

It says that the waygate is under guard. No specific mention of booby traps though!

oh yah, he trapped the waygate in shadar logoth, there is no mention of traps on any other. but either the shadar logoth trap was disabled or samael (bad spelling) brought trollocs and myrdral (horrible spelling) cross country. but i would think that he would have trapped any waygate that he was near and could find, but maybe not, but he did send loial with an asha'man, for the gateways, but possibly for more? i assume that he trapped any gate he could, but i dont know, it is "ass u me", but he did trap the gate in shadar logoth.

Actually due to the nature of the trap on that gate, he likely brought them through and the weave simply hadn't acted yet.

i've heard this somewhere before, i dont think(remember) it was the books, makes me think of wotmania for some reason. but it might be in the books. but if true it makes what they are doing more of a raid than anything else. and verin wouldn't know that rand had done anything with the waygate even though she would know that he knows where it is.

In the book Rand thought about how he had put a delay on the weave's killing of shadowspawn, so that they would have time to move more shadowspawn through the gateway so more would be killed by the trap. It gave them to get a fair distance out of the city, I believe.

Unfortunately, it never said he put a ward on the Camylen waygate, and even if he did they likely broke it.

In the book Rand thought about how he had put a delay on the weave's killing of shadowspawn, so that they would have time to move more shadowspawn through the gateway so more would be killed by the trap. It gave them to get a fair distance out of the city, I believe.

Unfortunately, it never said he put a ward on the Camylen waygate, and even if he did they likely broke it.

+1

Pretty much the sum off it.

Conversely, Talmanes seeing Caemlyn on fire could be the result of the Trollocs spontaneously bursting into flame like a nightflower because of said trap.

Rand mentioned in KoD :

"I’ve sealed the Waygates I know, in Caemlyn and Cairhien, Illian and Tear, and I put a very nasty trap on the one that was cut open near Fal Dara".

Indeed. I am getting pretty rusty to have missed all this. It is even in Verin's letter.

Towers of Midnight Epilogue: And After

There is a Waygate in Caemlyn, It is guarded, barricaded, and thought secured. It is not.

So yeah, she basically answers the whole thread in this one line.

Rand thought he secured it. "It is not"

from what i remember he had it guarded but not booby trapped. I guess it was just a major oversight, guards couldn't effectively deal with what may come out of those. Or comes to help something come out of those.

I would be mystified to wonder why they didn't remove the leaf from the gate, at the very least fill the basement with rubble to keep it from opening. That's gotta be a plot hole as big as a house heh.

I really hope there is a good answer than this aMoL. More than a simple 'Moridin waved his hand and with his almight tempestuos power, dispelled the warding'. Something solidly bound in the metaphysical laws of the world would be nice--things like Elza breaking the ward because she was 'given special knowledge' are starting to wear thin, at least for me.

That being said, it has been spoken of since book four that there are ways to spin holes in wardings, but that they cause considerable pain. One idea I like for why Rand's warding here might have been broken, but the one he put on Callandor in the stone was not, was the idea that maybe spinning a hole through such a complex warding would cause such pain it couldn't feasibly be done. But, if, on the other hand, Moridin broken one of his cour'souvra and used Moghedien like a puppet....?

Especially if it killed her or damaged her badly. It would pay the price for the the broken warding without making continuity faux pas of the earlier lack.

They would likely have just used some generic Black Aes Sedai, not one of the Forsaken, who the Dark One is unlikely to want to use up quite yet.

Also, I do believe that it was never stated he acctually put a ward on that one, as we spent much of the first page trying to determine.

Archived