DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is the date of any significance?

bsmnt23

I just did some quick figuring of dates and by my calculations the current year in randland is 999 NE exactly. Maybe. (Hey, I'm an artist, my maths are sometimes wonky). There was a snippit of some guy's journal at the end of The Gathering Storm where it says it was written in 1000 NE, talking about the supernatural and end time events going on in Randland. (I'd reference it, but I'm at work, and need to get this posted before my boss notices). Is that the year is exactly 1000 of any significance? I know that the start of the AB era as well as the end was both sort of arbritary so it couldnt be that it was a specific number of years after the Breaking, and the same is true for the end of the FY, but it's been almost exactly a 1000 years since Hawkwing died and now his armies are returning to (maybe) help with the last battle? Thats a lot of coincidences. Any opinions on the topic?

I just did some quick figuring of dates and by my calculations the current year in randland is 999 NE exactly. Maybe. (Hey, I'm an artist, my maths are sometimes wonky). There was a snippit of some guy's journal at the end of The Gathering Storm where it says it was written in 1000 NE, talking about the supernatural and end time events going on in Randland. (I'd reference it, but I'm at work, and need to get this posted before my boss notices). Is that the year is exactly 1000 of any significance? I know that the start of the AB era as well as the end was both sort of arbritary so it couldnt be that it was a specific number of years after the Breaking, and the same is true for the end of the FY, but it's been almost exactly a 1000 years since Hawkwing died and now his armies are returning to (maybe) help with the last battle? Thats a lot of coincidences. Any opinions on the topic?

At the end of ToM, it is the first week of July, the year 1000NE.

And yes, there does seem to be some significance to the 1000 year thing, at least in this age it does.

Trolloc wars 1000AB

Hawkwing's rule ends, 100 year war 2000AB

Dragon Reborn 3000AB

I'm at work too so I can't fact check right now but it wasn't too long since I read about this so here goes:

The Breaking and the war lasted for more than 300 years combined if I remember correctly, so they started counting after that. The Trolloc Wars lasted for several hundred years as well, and they started counting after it ended. Same goes for the new era, they started counting after there was finally some kind of peace after the post-Hawkwing chaos which lasted for hundred years. Every time there was chaos and breakdown they may have been close to the year 1000 according to the calendar in use at the time, but it took hundreds of years before the next calendard started counting. That means that:

1) There is definitely more than 1000 years between each of these events (Sealing of the Bore, Trolloc Wars beginning, Hawkwing dying, Moiraine finding Rand).

2) There is a minimum of 3500 years since the sealing of the Bore, and it could be up to 4000 years since the drilling of the Bore. (Just a rough estimate to put it into perspective, I'm not really implying anything about the time between these two events).

I'm at work too so I can't fact check right now but it wasn't too long since I read about this so here goes:

The Breaking and the war lasted for more than 300 years combined if I remember correctly, so they started counting after that. The Trolloc Wars lasted for several hundred years as well, and they started counting after it ended. Same goes for the new era, they started counting after there was finally some kind of peace after the post-Hawkwing chaos which lasted for hundred years. Every time there was chaos and breakdown they may have been close to the year 1000 according to the calendar in use at the time, but it took hundreds of years before the next calendard started counting. That means that:

1) There is definitely more than 1000 years between each of these events (Sealing of the Bore, Trolloc Wars beginning, Hawkwing dying, Moiraine finding Rand).

2) There is a minimum of 3500 years since the sealing of the Bore, and it could be up to 4000 years since the drilling of the Bore. (Just a rough estimate to put it into perspective, I'm not really implying anything about the time between these two events).

The Trolloc wars started about 1000AB and lasted 300 years.

Whether or not the FY's start after the Trolloc wars is never really stated. However it is repeated many times that Manetheren's destruction was about 2000 years ago and that happened about 200 years in to the Trolloc Wars so it's hard to say.

It would make sense if the FY's were indeed started after the Trolloc wars ended and it would also make sense if the NE was started after the War of the Hundred years which ended in 1117FY.

So that would indeed put us at about 3400AB

I don't think we really have any solid confirmation of that though.

Talking of significant years has any one noticed its 2012, I don't mind the world ending (much) but I'll be seriously annoyed if I haven't read aMoL first.

Any new WoT book gets read in one sitting finsss, appointments get cancelled and I get mysterious illness' that seem to vanish once the book is read.

Just hope BS does it justice!

Don't worry, aMoL is supposed to be out before December

May wanna read quickly though :happy:

Talking of significant years has any one noticed its 2012, I don't mind the world ending (much) but I'll be seriously annoyed if I haven't read aMoL first.

Any new WoT book gets read in one sitting finsss, appointments get cancelled and I get mysterious illness' that seem to vanish once the book is read.

Just hope BS does it justice!

Don't worry, aMoL is supposed to be out before December

May wanna read quickly though :happy:

As the responses above suggest, it seems that Randland is allowed about 1000 years of peace and rebuilding between each catastrophe. The catastrophes themselves last for different amounts of time. I never did get a handle on the length of the Breaking, though I think you can put an estimate on it from various things (flashback in TSR, among others), and it seems to be over 100 years, anyway. The Trolloc Wars started around 1000 AB and last over 300 years (Yurian Stonebow coming at the end, still in the AB dating). The War of the Hundred Years began in 994 FY and lasted 123 years. Rand declared himself in 999 NE, and AMoL is (apparently) going to end in 1000 NE. (But will Rand's second Breaking be done then? Hmm.)

The Guide nearly states outright that Ishamael is released and then trapped again every 40 years. These catastrophes would roughly correspond to multiples of 40. It's suggestive.

Archived