DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dark Tower Series

ThorkinBarrimore

I read the Dark Tower after WOT and though its style is wildly different, It's an awesome blend of fantasy,science fiction and future western. (whatever that is) I think King's wild yet referential writing style is unique and only he could get away with

writing himself in his own book.

I think (bad) fantasy and sci-fi could learn character writing from King for sure. Now the DT has NOTHING on RJ's dynamic world building and of course story arcs that can 180 instantly and somewhat conveniently(but hey what fiction doesn't do that). King (not so) simply sucked out modern culture, with a dash of folklore and made it work. A must read. (can't say the same about the rest, but Shawshank was good...)

Rambling... :wacko:

[twitter]didgya[/twitter]

Yes, but I knew he would write himself in there somehow. My favorite thing about King is his short stories.

I'm a big Creepshow/Tales from the Darkside and then Tales from the Crypt kind of guy. As far as the DT

novels. The Gunslinger was interesting and The Drawing of the Three had me in stitches laughing at Eddie.

I'd have to say my favorite was Wizard and Glass as it was a great western, shoot 'em up, bar fighting,

young love story.

This series was a trip I'll have to admit. It went from one genre to another so it had everything in it

but the final ones were rushed a bit I feel.

I just got it pre-ordered via Amazon. The cover looks nice and can't wait to read it.

I have all the graphic novels and the concordance too. :biggrin:

Cool! The graphic novels are beautiful and well done. Just be aware that those are based only on Wizard and Glass and the rest are in a different time/place, but the great thing is that it won't ruin the rest of the story for you either.

I have read the first 2 and half of the third books of the Dark Tower series. I thought they were okay. They were really hard for me to get into at first. I'll probably buy them for my nook and give them another try because my mom swears by them, though I don't think she likes the later books as much as the earlier ones.

Archived