DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An overlooked sentence

Mowbray

While re-reading TDB, I came across a very interesting line. It was mentioned when Perrin had just come out of Ishamael's dream, and had encountered Lanfear (he was not aware of the fact that time) in "Shadows Sleeping".

The line goes like this:

"The Horn rang out, and the wild charge began. Death rode at his shoulder, and yet she waited ahead, too. His lover. His destroyer."

As it was mentioned in Perrin's PoV, I believe it is related to Perrin. But what does the line signify? If it is the personification of death, does this mean that Death had known him, and he's the one who's to die as per the Prophecies of the Shadow? Or does it mean Faile, who is going to play a major role in AMoL in relation with Perrin?

Another fact that came to my attention was in the same chapter. Perrin had just escaped Ishamael's lair, and saw his reflection to find himself wearing a lion-styled helmet and attire, in which his ax fitted. This made me think again: is Perrin another reincarnation of a fallen hero? And why did Lanfear talked "...you don't know the half of what you are"? She definitely was not talking about the wolves, but something else entirely.

To conclude, we have asked questions about Rand and Mat, but I want to ask this: who is Perrin exactly, and what exactly is his role in the Last Battle?

I think Perrin is going to have something do to with keeping Tel'aran'rhiod together. His connection with the wolves, his mastery of Tel'aran'rhiod, and the fact that both Perrin and the wolves were there to witness Veins of Gold in the dream, even though it happened in the real world, are very significant. It seems to me that Tarmon Gai'don related events are linked to Tel'aran'rhiod in some way, and obviously once the seals are broken, the Dark One will be free in Tel'aran'rhiod as well. Otherwise, Perrin's mastery of Tel'aran'rhiod seems a little bit pointless in the context of Tarmon Gai'don. Mat is going to be commanding the armies, and Rand killing Ishamael, so I think Perrin being there in the real world will be kind of overlapping roles a bit. Plus, the weakest Forsaken could just set his hair on fire that would be an end to that. Everyone is getting useful powers ready for the Last Battle, except Perrin. Unless you count Tel'aran'rhiod. It's his only unique area of expertise, as he demonstrated to Egwene in Towers of Midnight.

"If you die in Tel'aran'rhiod you die in the real world..."

"...If you seal the bore in Tel'aran'rhiod, you seal the bore in the real word"

Type thing?

For some reason i thought that his hammer would have something to do with "re-forging" the bore/pattern, but i could be wrong.

I agree that there must be more to Perrin than the wolf thing. Part of the reason I think this is plot-related. I was skimming through TGH recently, and it really is amazing how early all Perrin's wolf stuff gets revealed. And he...hasn't really gained much since then, power-wise, except for practising his TAR skills. It's as if RJ was trying to lull us into a sort of, "Oh, don't mind him. That's just Perrin." Maybe he won't gain some amazing new power, but I could totally see him coming out of left-ish field to save the day.

While re-reading TDB, I came across a very interesting line. It was mentioned when Perrin had just come out of Ishamael's dream, and had encountered Lanfear (he was not aware of the fact that time) in "Shadows Sleeping".

The line goes like this:

"The Horn rang out, and the wild charge began. Death rode at his shoulder, and yet she waited ahead, too. His lover. His destroyer."

As it was mentioned in Perrin's PoV, I believe it is related to Perrin. But what does the line signify? If it is the personification of death, does this mean that Death had known him, and he's the one who's to die as per the Prophecies of the Shadow? Or does it mean Faile, who is going to play a major role in AMoL in relation with Perrin?

Another fact that came to my attention was in the same chapter. Perrin had just escaped Ishamael's lair, and saw his reflection to find himself wearing a lion-styled helmet and attire, in which his ax fitted. This made me think again: is Perrin another reincarnation of a fallen hero? And why did Lanfear talked "...you don't know the half of what you are"? She definitely was not talking about the wolves, but something else entirely.

To conclude, we have asked questions about Rand and Mat, but I want to ask this: who is Perrin exactly, and what exactly is his role in the Last Battle?

If you think about it, Perrin is the only one of the Ta'veren Three now who doesn't have memories from previous lives.

I can't help wonder if these will somehow be provided to show us that he is actually a major player from the past. Someone with the stature of Hawkwing? One of the former kings of Manetheren?

That aside, however, I think Perrin's real role is how it appears - the Blacksmith and the Wolf King. He'll arm the major players who don't already have power-made weapons so that they can stand toe to toe with the Thakandar-made blades on the other side. His responsibility will be taking down the Darkhounds (led, imo, by Slayer) - perhaps in some way that doesn't require Balefire - with an army of wolves. I think that's a pretty big task in itself and he doesn't need anything more - I'm more interested in how he'll be "Fallen" and bound by the Midnight Towers.

Perrin could lead an army of wolves... The great hunt and all - fighting against trollocs, half men, and dark hounds.

no one else really has the power to do that.

Also - I think Perrin might become more important post story (assuming he survives) rebuilding the world after it breaks.

• 1 month later...

The line goes like this:

If you think about it, Perrin is the only one of the Ta'veren Three now who doesn't have memories from previous lives.

I can't help wonder if these will somehow be provided to show us that he is actually a major player from the past. Someone with the stature of Hawkwing? One of the former kings of Manetheren?

That aside, however, I think Perrin's real role is how it appears - the Blacksmith and the Wolf King. He'll arm the major players who don't already have power-made weapons so that they can stand toe to toe with the Thakandar-made blades on the other side. His responsibility will be taking down the Darkhounds (led, imo, by Slayer) - perhaps in some way that doesn't require Balefire - with an army of wolves. I think that's a pretty big task in itself and he doesn't need anything more - I'm more interested in how he'll be "Fallen" and bound by the Midnight Towers.

Isn't it pretty Clear that Perrin is Aemon himself? Think about the it,eh? (although he is not married to an Aes Sedei, He is Married to a princess, 3rd in line to the Broken Crown of Saldaea, after her father, who is Zenonia's heir at the moment, and who thinks that those two will both somehow survive Tarmon Gai'don?) 'course I could be wrong, but IDTS.

what it means? ask hariett, james or brandon. but perrin himself has admitted that faile could destroy him. if she were taken, he would go after her even if it cost the world. but that has happened twice already (tear and malden) so if she got took again it would feel a bit off to me (or at least too predictable) so i think that little thing has already happened. and i don't think it is relevant anymore.

The line goes like this:

He was recalling Falme, and the battle lust that probably stemmed from his wolfiness. Since it was in Rand's POV, this is the only indication we get of how Perrin felt during that battle, and it was apparently something he was trying to forget. We also get a flashback from Mat in ACOS.

There's a line from that scene that he didn't quote which I have always thought was evidence of past life memories, though these things can be fleeting and maybe even common in dreams.

He stared into the mirror, a part of him not comprehending what he saw, another part accepting. A gilded helmet, worked like a lion's head, sat on his head as if it belonged there. Gold leaf covered his ornately hammered breastplate, and gold-work embellished the plate and mail on his arms and legs. Only the axe at his side was plain. A voice – his own – whispered in his mind that he would take it over any other weapon, had carried it a thousand times, in a hundred battles. No! He wanted to take it off, throw it away. I can't!

Perrin hasn't been in a hundred battles. The gilded helmet—assuming that it wasn't randomly planted there by Lanfear—points to Joal Ramedar, Ishara's grandfather and the last king of Aldeshar, which was also the last nation to fall to Hawkwing. Mat remembers that battle (though not through his own past life memories):

“Do you remember Hawkwing’s face, Toy?” Mistress Anan blinked in surprise, and Selucia sat up on the bed frowning. At him. Why would she frown at him? Tuon just continued to look at him, hands folded in her lap, as cool and collected as a Wisdom at Sunday.

Mat’s smile felt frozen. Light, what did she know? How could she know anything? He lay beneath the burning sun, holding his side with both hands, trying to keep the last of life from leaking out and won­dering whether there was any reason to hold on. Aldeshar was finished, after this day’s work. A shadow blotted the sun for an instant, and then a tall man in armor crouched beside him, helmet tucked under his arm, dark deep-set eyes framing a hooked nose. “You fought well against me today, Culain, and many days past,” that memorable voice said. “Will you live with me in peace?” With his last breath, he laughed in Artur Hawkwing’s face. He hated to remember dying. A dozen other encounters skit­tered through his mind, too, ancient memories that were his, now. Artur Paendrag had been a difficult man to get along with even before the wars started.

Drawing a deep breath, he took care choosing his words. This was no time to go spouting the Old Tongue. “Of course I don’t!” he lied. A man who could not lie convincingly got short shrift from women. “Light, Hawkwing died a thousand years ago! What kind of question is that?”

Her mouth opened slowly, and for a moment he was sure she meant to answer question with question. “A foolish one, Toy,” she replied finally, instead. “I can’t say why it popped into my head.”

Mat muzzily considered the song he had been singing and grimaced. No one had heard "Dance with Jak o' the Shadows" since Aldeshar fell; in his head, he could still hear the defiant song rising as the Golden Lions launched their last, futile charge at Artur Hawkwing's encircling army. At least he had not been babbling it in the Old Tongue. He was not as juicy as he looked by half, but there had indeed been too many cups of oosquai. The stuff looked and tasted like brown water, but it hit your head like a mule's kick. Moiraine will pack me off to the Tower yet, if I'm not careful. At least it would get me out of the Waste and away from Rand. Maybe he was drunker than he thought, if he considered that a fair trade.

Isn't it pretty Clear that Perrin is Aemon himself?

Except that Mat actually remembers being Aemon (before he gets the Eelfinn memories).

Think about the it,eh?

It always makes me lol when people say this.

mat's only true memories of his blood is the last king of manetheren and he died at the two rivers, the memory of hawkwing came from the snakes and foxes. perrin has the wolves memories thou they are from a thier point of view.

mat's only true memories of his blood is the last king of manetheren and he died at the two rivers, the memory of hawkwing came from the snakes and foxes.

Yes, I did specify that.

perrin has the wolves memories thou they are from a thier point of view.

Wat?

If you see a vision it does not mean it is about you. This could be refering to Mat, "The Horn rang out, and the wild charge began". Who of the three TAV is better organized or has the military training/channeling ability of Mat. He has the memories of the very heroes that will be summond by the horn. He is the only one that can sound the Horn as well.

(I would like to know who made the horn and how it can bind any heroe to it)

The second line could refer to mat as well the one thing that is a world changer, the tool that will make humans equel to Aes Sedai fire arms "Death rode at his shoulder" (musket rifle). Mat has brought the savages into the modern world with his search to find better ways to fight. You must remember that the DO never incountered a world with fire arms when he was released he awoke in a world that did not know what war was in the age of legends. And the DO was out side the wheel or pattern so he could have been blind to the idea of fire arms there was very little known of that time or any time prev. (Rember the star trek where kirk made a cannon to kill the gorgan he had to dig deep to remember how it worked)

The third line could also refer to Mat and Toun, "and yet she waited ahead, too. His lover. His destroyer" Toun is loyal to to the Senchon first she does try to steal Mats plans, she also interperts the senchon way only, Mat may not live through the last battle, yes the snakes and foxes said he would marry her but did not promise a long happy marrige. (Also Rember Avindia had a vision of the future Ail, and refered to the empress as an honorable lady but not by name.)

This is my first big post so be nice:)

Archived