DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rhyagelle

Wren of the Brown

How-do, DM'ers. I'm a returning member, I guess, and as much as I would enjoy being a returning chthonic god, I feel more like Methuselah blinking stupidly in the morning sun. I was an active member at Dragonmount in the days of yore when it was still hosted on the Proboard system. This must have been '99 or '00 or so and I had a few different characters that I played then. This handle *points* was my Asha'man character but it's doubtful I'll revive him for RP.

Since introductions involve personal gestures, I found a battered copy of the Eye of the World in a dusty free-books bin while still in high school. I had just finished Tolkien's trilogy and was muddling my way through some awful Dragonlance stuff and the breadth of Jordan's vision was a good excuse to flake homework a breath of fresh air. Dragonlance! Bajad drovja! /spit

I've written a few poems in Old Tongue because I'm always interested in the auxiliary nerd aspects of any work and I like the way spoken OT words feel and sound. I like Quenya but I always worry that I'll mispronounce the wrong syllable and find I've transported myself to Finland without a decent coat. It's hard to explain how I feel about an Old Tongue poem but the handful of words we have lend to a stronger meter - as though one is uttering words which must be heard. Whatever else can be said about the Old Tongue, I enjoy the way it sounds.

When I'm not pretending to be an English major, I do the odd bit of historical reenactment. My super-hero power is Projectile Elenchus, and my current interests include bugs, lizards, leashes, and god-king emperors.

So, hello again, DM'ers!

Hi and welcome back to DM!!

I'm so new that I don't know you yet, though. It would be awesome to see some of those Old Tongue poems :)

Who is your least-favourite WoT character? (if you have one :)

As things have maybe changed here, feel free to ask if something seems wicked.

I hope you will still like it here!!

Hi and welcome back to DM!!

I'm so new that I don't know you yet, though. It would be awesome to see some of those Old Tongue poems :)

Who is your least-favourite WoT character? (if you have one :)

Thanks! I'm actually pretty impressed by what I've seen so far.

This is the first OT poem and I'll have to get around to finding the others. My desk is covered in managed piles of chaos. >_<

Cair'mai an'tsorovan,

cova a'mi cuebiyar, al a'vron mosiev ye

logoth far a mael a'ninte sovin,

ti al'miere a'ninte sei niende misain ye.

Translation below, or (if you're feeling ambitious) you can do the work yourself!

Golden Maiden of Storms,

owner of my heart, I am a watcher downcast

waiting for the hope of your hand,

I am lost to the ocean of your eyes.

That's quite angsty. I feel I shall swoon. /handstapleforehead

The last line literally translates to "to the ocean of your eyes lost am I." The preposition to in OT is either "ti" or "tia" and, because I don't like waste sounds, I used the stronger variant "ti." I decided that ti al'miere was a better choice than tia al'miere was. The transition from a soft A to a long A (ti-ah Al-meer) was an unnecessary aural acrobatic.

The character I like to dislike the most? Hmm.

I just finished rereading The Dragon Reborn and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the Egwene/Elayne/Nynaeve moral triumvirate. After Mat saves them from the Black Ajah, their only response is haughty and ungrateful. I'm trying to keep in mind that Mat had no idea the threat they faced in being turned, but, at the same time, he did sail the Erinin blue to storm the Stone of Tear and Nynaeve can only muster a pained "You're right, you did save us." Not so much as a thank-you and the three of them still treat him like dog meat after Berelain graces Moraine and Rhuarc with her prize winning smile. Unkind, ladies. Un. Kind.

Well they are women man. We all know women are stubborn. Later on you will see, my friend. BTW welcome to DM.

Stubborn is putting it nicely but I think I'd settle for goat herding turnip filchers, at the very least. I fully expect my lynching on the morning and I will face it bravely.

My favorite character? The flight of ravens that left the innards piled on the fox carcass like a cairn. I fully expect my lynching this evening before supper and I will face it bravely.

Actually, I'm wavering between Min and Thom as favorites. I also like the minor characters who pop up - Master Gill, Dermid Ajala, etc. - for the slice of life aspect.

Who on earth is Dermid Ajala?

Anyhoo, if you have any questions about the RP side, head on over to The Welcome Inn further down the board - if you don't find the answer there, then just make a thread and ask :biggrin:

I love all of these oldies coming back!!!!! So exciting!!!!

Which parts of the series are your favorites?

The exchange between Rand, Artur Hawkwing and Hurin just before handing the Seanchan their lunch ticket is a favorite. Rand is concerned with Hurin's safety (and probably sufficiently annoyed with his bowing and scraping) but Hurin is looking instead at what's before him. The Horn has been sounded, the Heroes have come back from Tel'Aran'Rhiod and he isn't going to back down just because a battalion of Whitecloaks stand between the Heroes and the Seanchan beachhead. His motivation, whether he's doing it for personal glory or loyalty to Rand, is ancillary. As something momentous has occurred, neither death nor injury will deter him and he may very well live to regret it if he does not ride forward. Artur notes his decision and bravery and the compliment he pays to Hurin is telling. Hawkwing has just suggested that Hurin may well find himself in the company of the Heroes of the Horn someday because he is stalwart and willing. Great acts and great deeds come from men and women of action and the deeds of the day may very well become legendary but, for the fellow who shies away, we'll never know. Hurin knows it, Artur knows it and Rand is still grappling with that.

I'll stop here. >_>

Archived