DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'A woman who was dead and gone'

FarShainMael

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I posted other times, I think the viewing talks about a woman that was literally dead; not one believed/thought/etc dead.

And like I posted before; for Moiraine to fulfill it, she would need to return from literal death.

And like I implicitly asked, has either author told that the woman is Moiraine? Or have either commented on this viewing?

i looked at your one other post in this thread. i'll put it this simple, min thinks about moiraine almost every time when she thinks about the viewing that failed. and when she doesn't she had thought about moiraine recently, or been reminded of moiraine by the face of moiraine's close relative. but its not just that, she thinks of ONE failed viewing. and if even one time she associates that viewing with moiraine, its always associated with moiriane. and she THINKS that the woman is DEAD. her perception is as valid, possibly more valid, than what has actually occurred.
Like I posted other times, I think the viewing talks about a woman that was literally dead; not one believed/thought/etc dead.

And like I posted before; for Moiraine to fulfill it, she would need to return from literal death.

And like I implicitly asked, has either author told that the woman is Moiraine? Or have either commented on this viewing?

That's the thing though. The viewing does not say anything about the woman being dead. The viewing just says: Rand needs this woman. That's it. Now Min knows (or thinks she knows) that this woman is dead, but that's her understanding. If, as we assume, the woman in the viewing is Moiraine, we know that Min is wrong since Moiraine is in fact alive and on her way back to Rand. So her viewing was correct. She was the one who was mistaken when she thought Moiriaine was dead.

To both::

I still think the viewing talks about a woman literally dead.

A quote from either author would be the only thing that could convince me otherwise.

Another thing:

Quoting a question generally implies an intention to answer it.

Another thing:

Quoting a question generally implies an intention to answer it.

Oops, sorry. I just quoted the whole post and didn't think to remove the question. I don't know the answer to that, but I'm assuming it's no, or we wouldn't be discussing it.

@Elusive Athena: this is what we don't agree on. Some people, like mb, think the viewing literally meant a dead woman, in which case it can't be Moiraine. Lanfear is an option. Others, including me, think the viewing only showed Moiraine with nothing about death, and Min is the one who assumed she was dead. But then we can't prove it. It just seems logical given the context and her other thoughts. That's how I've always understood it anyway.

Others, including me, think the viewing only showed Moiraine with nothing about death, and Min is the one who assumed she was dead. But then we can't prove it. It just seems logical given the context and her other thoughts. That's how I've always understood it anyway.

That is how it is understood by the majority of people I have seen on the boards. Nothing else really makes sense giving her thoughts...

Others, including me, think the viewing only showed Moiraine with nothing about death, and Min is the one who assumed she was dead. But then we can't prove it. It just seems logical given the context and her other thoughts. That's how I've always understood it anyway.

That is how it is understood by the majority of people I have seen on the boards. Nothing else really makes sense giving her thoughts...

Yep. The key here is that we must look at this from Min's point of view NOT our own and most certainly not of our own "omni" knowledge.

Given the context, the arrow points directly to Moiraine. The only thing that could break this is if there was some passage, no matter how lucid or vague, in which Min references either (a) a vision about Lanfear/Selene/Cynadine(sp?) or (b) a vision about some dead woman that is NOT Moiraine. Neither of those has been given so it's safe to bet it's Moiraine. Any such hunches it could be Lanfear is just an extreme stretch imo. It's intriguing, but it's not really plausible.

Archived