DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

teh mafia and its effect on all other forum activity

Mrs. Cindy Gill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cindy, you certainly have a most eclectic .... some might even say "eccentric" collection of music. But, I refuse to use the word "eccentric" to describe the various mixes and genres and musicians and singers that you like.

Here is a small listing of the music on my own mp3 player:

Christian music by these groups and artists: DeGarmo & Key, Petra, Disciple, Pillar, Skillet, Kutless, Newsboys, Red, Narnia, P.O.D., Fireflight, Flyleaf, White Heart, Whitecross, Guardian, Idle Cure, ... just to name a few. Also, I have cd's by MercyMe, Carman, Dallas Holm and Praise, DC Talk, tobymac, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Steve Camp, 4Him, Harvest, Amy Grant, Point of Grace, Geoff Moore and the Distance, KJ-52, The Afters, Audio Adrenaline, Seventh Day Slumber, Thousand Foot Krutch, Mandisa, Mary Mary, Kurt Franklin, Needtobreathe, Tenth Avenue North, Third Day, One Way Crew

Also, I enjoy listening to Country music, and the following is a sample of the country artists that I have on my mp3 player::

Luke Bryant, Joe Nichols, Justin Moore, Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Reba McIntire, Shania Twain, Alan Jackson, Tracey Byrd, Colin Raye, Billy Currington, Brantley Gilbert, Brooks & Dunn, Carrie Underwood, Chris Young, Craig Morgan, Dierks Bentley, Faith Hill, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Gretchen Wilson, Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, Jake Owen, Jason Aldean, Joe Diffie, Josh Turner, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Montgomery Gentry, Miranda Lambert, Ray Stevens, Rodney Atkins, Sugarland, and the Zac Brown Band.

Other bands I enjoy listening to on my computer or on my mp3 player are:: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meatloaf, Bon Jovi, Grand Funk Railroad, Guns and Roses, Styx, .... and I have more stuff on my computer and mp3 player but by now I'm sure that y'all are seeing what are the various genres and kinds of music I enjoy. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

go ahead, eccentric works. i stopped less than 1/10th of the way through.

we have some overlap. esp in category 3.

but i believe there are many dylan albums, and many many cash records you would enjoy. i didn't see those there, but i'm reading in my sleep, so please to forgive.

well it's tuesday on the other side of the world :tongue:

that is very thoughful of you, krak. :myrddraal:

i'm glued to my computer feeding the ipod. mgiht have to get dressed and do the shopping one of these days.

apparently, i need another one... 32 gigawhoosits is not, in fact, unlimited storage.

confused0089.gif you waz nakkie dis entire time??

Tommy Pickles sayz "lets Get Nakkie!!"

tumblr_l7rpucvC221qcowvxo1_500.png

on the topic though, Mafia's been getting slower all around DM, not just in the Orgs.

i have an iPod, but it broke mad0114.gif i had 2,000+ songs as well as 10 play lists and my iPod decided to reformat itself. then if got the black apple of death and wont work.

so i got a new one (well new to me anyways) and now my iPod automatically ejects itself about 2 secs after i plug it in :dry:

well it's tuesday on the other side of the world :tongue:

that is very thoughful of you, krak. :myrddraal:

i'm glued to my computer feeding the ipod. mgiht have to get dressed and do the shopping one of these days.

apparently, i need another one... 32 gigawhoosits is not, in fact, unlimited storage.

you waz nakkie dis entire time??

good lord, no. it's a leatherish chair. that would just be... painful and wrong.

on the topic though, Mafia's been getting slower all around DM, not just in the Orgs.

i have an iPod, but it broke mad0114.gif i had 2,000+ songs as well as 10 play lists and my iPod decided to reformat itself. then if got the black apple of death and wont work.

so i got a new one (well new to me anyways) and now my iPod automatically ejects itself about 2 secs after i plug it in :dry:

'k... heads will roll if that happens to mine. not jk. srsly.

but please, for the love of all that's unholy, do not stay on topic. it's just a bait and switch.

Hey Cindy

*hugs*

I should be able to be a little more active in the next few days, I'm still trying to finish GRRM's DwD so I can give the kindle I borrowed from my friend back (I've had it way too long). I already told you, but between upcoming nuptials, band practice, theory blog, trying to book gigs, work, and family stuff my life has been a whirlwind lately.

I def dig your taste in music gal. I'm also a big fan of big band, swing type stuff (I didn't see Brian Setzer Orchestra on that list of yours...). One of my favorite songs to listen to when my mind's all awhirl is "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, or for something a little soulful I love "The man from Ipanema" with that Astrud whatshername girl singing. Ooooh Dusty Springfield, can't forget to put that vixen on the list. Miles Davis' "A Kind of Blue" has impacted my life so many times I've lost count (so what?).

I got introduced to more traditional type jazz when I started learning to play bass and my uncle hooked me on to this band called Weather Report with a young man by the name of Jaco Pastorious. I'll always be thankful to my uncle for that cause Jaco is the man and he GREATLY influenced my bass playing style. But it also got me into jazz too, Wynton Marsalis (sp), Stanley Clarke, all those greats.

I noticed you didn't mention any classical, you can haz Mozart? Edvard Grieg is my alltime favorite composer, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is simply PERFECT for energizing you in the morning (back when I used to wake up in the morning hehe). But of course Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Wagner all go into the mix as well.

Blues is essential of course, starting with Clapton, Buddy Guy, the Kings (BB, and Albert being my favorites), Johnny Winter (funny how a man having literally no pigment in his skin can play some of the best blues on the planet, a genre typified by it's "soul" roots), but the list always culminates with my all time favorite musician, ever. I think he's the best guitarist to ever pick up a 6-string, and his ability to express emotion so beautifully through his instrument brings me to tears more often than yall would probably believe. I'm talking of course, about Stevie Ray Vaughan. Of course the best musician ever WOULD have to be from Texas, right?! Listen to "Riviera Paradise" from his last cd In Step which he recorded clean and sober not too long before he passed from this Earth, he actually makes his guitar cry on that song, I'm not kidding. For something that I hope changes your life as drastically as it changed mine, look up his version of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing". SRV took a two and a half minute song with words and turned it into a six and a half minute instrumental masterpiece. /end SRV rant

Blues leads pretty easily into rock, and this would probably be the category me and you both share the most interest in. Zep, The Who, Tom Petty, Mountain, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Cream, etc. You might be able to tell by now that I'm really into progressive stuff by now, so let's venture into that category midstream: Pink Floyd, Captain Beyond, Yes, King Crimson, Frank Zappa (a little avant garde sure, but still great stuff and Joe's Garage is simply amazing), Rush (God I love them), leading into more modernish prog type stuff: Dreamtheater, Porcupine Tree, Liquid Tension Experiment, Buckethead, and Primus to name a few.

Because I haven't covered some of the more obscure genres I like, I dig some bluegrass, especially foggy mountain boys, Avett brothers, Nickelcreek, and others. Bela Fleck has banjo jazz covered, but some other honorable mentions in the amazing bassist field besides Victor Wooten are Jonas Hellborg, Michael Manring, Flea from Chili Peppers. I got a special place in my heart for old school country, including Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, ermm can't think of any others off the top of my head atm. Funk also deserves some attention, particularly Bootsy Collins who is a larger than life personality besides being an amazing bassist, his group P-Funk, Sly, Earth Wind and Fire.

This category is dedicated to my hispanic roots, even though it bridges several genres. Andres Segovia practically invented the classical guitar style and has influenced more axehandlers than most people realize. Tito Puente helped bring Latin music to a global level. Mariachi music, while often poked fun at, actually has some great songs. My favorite is probably Malaguena Salerosa, I particularly like the version that Robert Rodriguez's (Tarantino's director friend) band Chingon did which I posted on the songs of the BT thread. I also like some modern latin music, like reggaeton, especially Daddy Yankee.

Hip Hop is a strange beast for me lol, I find the groups I like most are the artists most nonblack fans go for. Outkast, Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Kanye West; I especially like consciousness rap like Common, Project Lotus. I can also dig some Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Notorious Big, but I particularly like T.I. He's tha King, and he helps give me some street cred lol.

Just got done listening to some Dylan, I gotta admit you got me checking his stuff out again Cindy. Just put on some Elton John though.

The next couple of categories are where I feel we might depart in taste the most. Metal. It's not for everyone, but no other genre of music channels it's respective emotion with such raw, pure intensity. That emotion is aggression obviously, but something metal doesn't get credit for is it's ability to pull from so MANY genres so effortlessly. Pantera, Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Down, Shadows Fall, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Alice 'n Chains, Soundgarden, and way too many to mention all share the stage here.

Then we get into electronica type of stuff, which also has a lot of different genres. Paul Oakenfold pretty much has to be mentioned, but I LOVE me some Daft Punk and The Avalanches. Dubstep is also funky too, especially Cookie Monsta. Listening to techno/house/trance/whatever you want to call it music is like willingly hypnotizing yourself, but in a comforting, journey into the center of your soul kind of way.

Just because I like all these though, doesn't mean I can't dig on some stuff from pop. Too many music snobs turn their nose up at pop cause it's simple, but fact is it's easy to dance to and usually gets you in a positive mood. Don't laugh, but I particularly like Justin Timberlake, and Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are also guilty pleasures of mine.

It shouldn't, but it kinda irritates me when I hear people say "Oh, I like everything" cause this usually just means they like rock, pop, hip hop, and maybe country. There are SO many other types of amazing music though that people just ignore because it's from an older generation. I've prob also forgotten to list who knows how many other genres and favorite artists of mine, but I better stop here cause I gotta go to the store in a sec. Point is, good music is good music.

BSO, and mozart, and marsalis, and beethoven, and clapton, and bb and petty and lizzy and sabbath and why that makes me think of nugent and aerosmith i don't know but it does and zappa, of course, and king crimson, and not rush, wrong octave for me, sorry, but nickel creek, bela fleck, willie nelson (all friends of bob are welcome) PATSY FLIPPING CLINE, of course, chili peppers, sly, earth wind and fire, um, sinatra, do you sinatra? i sinatra hard. iron maiden i know and love, but the newer stuff slipped off my radar, though as leyrann showed me, i likes me some death metal apparently.

hendrix, duh.

'k stopping, or i gets a cramp in my hand.

and still not 1/10th of the way through.

but thanks for reminding me of some i should have typed in the first place.

i actually really do like everything, so far anyway.

I wasn't talking about you Cindy, if anything you might even be able to go over my head with tons of different music I might not have checked out. I like your taste in music, especially if you can dig some metal \m/

I'm not that big a fan of death metal, too much throating for me. Give Rush a chance! You get used to the way he sings, I promise, you might even grow to like it. I think if I'm willing to start listening to more Bob it would be the least you could do for meh /bats eyelashes

i say the same to you about bob dylan. you come to love the voice, and crave it like the... well, like nvm. (yah, i know you wasn't dissing).

i only have more music than you cause i have had longer to accumulate it and have friends willing to spend time burning and ripping and burning and ripping for me. the humans are quite useful at times.

django reinhardt? you must.

Archived